Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DIY Rycote-based mount  (Read 10324 times)

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
DIY Rycote-based mount
« on: February 02, 2015, 09:09:12 PM »
See this post for my final version of these: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=171552.msg2132415#msg2132415

EDIT: made a crude version myself (see below).

What I'm looking to make is a cheap and more flexible version of this modular setup:

The parts I'm looking for are the short sections to which the lyres are directly attached in the picture.  I would leave the riser blocks out.  I put in an email to Redding but they haven't gotten back to me yet.  They don't have it on their "spare parts".  Anyone know if this is possible to find separately?  My other option is to cut and drill an aluminum yardstick that I have used for other DIY things.

I had previously been interested in just getting a pair of Rycote INV-6 mounts, but now I realize that my mics are probably too lightweight for the standard lyres to be very effective.  I have found the softer 62 shore lyres for sale a few places and I think those may be the ticket, though it makes no sense to buy the INV-6 and then the softer lyres.  Also, I really don't want the INV-6 bases, but instead I want to keep the mount itself more low-profile and then pivot the entire setup as a unit using a Posi-Lok under the mic bar. http://www.performanceaudio.com/item/rycote-modular-lyre-set-19-25mm-soft-2-pack-/33477/

Such a setup would be mounted to this stereo bar: http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Professional-Microphone-Stereo-Bar-T-Bar-Thread-Adapter-Beam-Two-Stand-Adjustable-Drum-Mount-Wholesale-Hot/404390_514425580.html

« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 06:26:07 PM by voltronic »
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline John Willett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
Re: Help sourcing a part for a DIY Rycote-based mount
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 05:38:27 AM »
Talk directly to Rycote in the UK.

They will be able to tell you exactly what you need, which you can then order with the correct part number from your local Rycote distributor.

Offline jcb

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 07:08:52 AM »
I did not know that this Rycote part existed so I asked for this to be made from aluminum alloy :
Base for a Rycote inv7 mkIII lyre.
Still waiting for it but it should arrive soon.

PS : Rycote screws are not M3 but metric is more convenient for me.Correction : after further testing on different mounts with different screws and nuts, they are M3x0.5.
[Edited to update the URI.]
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 01:26:35 PM by jcb »

Offline voltronic

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 09:56:36 PM »
I did not know that this Rycote part existed so I asked for this to be made from aluminum alloy :
http://www.1839.org/hors/trucs/son/rycote-inv7-base-01.pdf
It is intended for inv7 mkIII lyres.
Still waiting for it but it should arrive soon.

PS : Rycote screws are not M3 but metric is more convenient for me.

That looks like it would do the job for me nicely, but I imagine if you're getting that made custom it won't be cheap.  Can you share any more details?

BTW, I did get an email back from Redding.  They said the part I'm looking for is not sold separately and is permanently fixed in place anyway.  They also said I could special order a pair of INV-6 mounts with the softer lyres at no additional cost and they would go through the dealer of my choosing.  That's summer nice customer service, but I really was looking to save some money, and as I said I don't want the pivoting sections anyway.  I think I'm going to pursue the DIY route for now.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline voltronic

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2015, 09:03:48 PM »
I'm contacting a couple of local machine shops to see if they can do something like jcb's part for a reasonable price.  That would be the perfect solution for me, I think.  Thanks, jcb for sharing this!

If that doesn't work out, the ultra-cheap backup plan right now is two of these:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_301689-33599-AV301689_0__?productId=1244077&Ntt=3%2F8+ceiling+plate&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3D3%252F8%2Bceiling%2Bplate&facetInfo=
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline jcb

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2015, 01:50:44 PM »
It arrived in today's mail. Here are a few pictures.

Offline larrysellers

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Qualified
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2015, 02:28:38 PM »
Awesome. I would be interested in a pair. Who made them?

Offline jcb

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2015, 02:46:39 PM »
They were made by Adam Dau at http://www.skgrimes.com. For them this was project 9740.
Anyone may freely use this design including for commercial purposes.
Here is the final version including the precisions given to Adam in reply to his questions.

Offline voltronic

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2015, 10:01:47 PM »
jcb's solution is what I really wanted, but after finding out how much it costs for small quantities of custom machining, I decided I couldn't justify the high cost and went DIY.  First, I tried one of the plumbing ceiling plates, but the lyres were then a bit too wide for me to use the CM3s with windscreens.  So I went back to my thin aluminum yard stick that I've cut up for other things.  The result, as you can see, is very crude but I was able to get the narrower spacing I wanted.  I will do a test at some point against my existing shocks.

If anyone out there with a drill press and a crosscut saw with carbide blade would be willing to make me a nice version of these short bars, please let me know.  My holes all came out slightly off-center because I only have a hand drill, but it's not going to be enough to make a difference sound-wise.  My plan for easily setting up different spacings / etc. is to wrap the bottom knurled portion of the 3/8-5/8 adapters with a bit of gaff tape, and then once I measure a desired angle / spacing I will mark the tape as well as the front and back edges of the stereo bar with white paint marker.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 11:15:27 PM by voltronic »
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: DIY Rycote-based mount
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2015, 10:23:12 PM »
Use a exacto knife blade to mark your spacing using an accurate metal square.  Then carefully make an indentation at the location of the desired hole with something like this.  http://www.harborfreight.com/spring-loaded-center-punch-621.html  If you can lay your hands on a center starting bit (looks like a stubby drill bit with a short V shaped cutting end), that should give you accurate hole spacing with about any electric drill. 

Easiest way to cross cut aluminum stock is to clamp it in a electric miter saw and cut through it slowly, but wear eye and ear protection.

They could probably do it for you at your high school shop class. 

Offline voltronic

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2015, 05:50:24 PM »
Use a exacto knife blade to mark your spacing using an accurate metal square.  Then carefully make an indentation at the location of the desired hole with something like this.  http://www.harborfreight.com/spring-loaded-center-punch-621.html  If you can lay your hands on a center starting bit (looks like a stubby drill bit with a short V shaped cutting end), that should give you accurate hole spacing with about any electric drill. 

Easiest way to cross cut aluminum stock is to clamp it in a electric miter saw and cut through it slowly, but wear eye and ear protection.

They could probably do it for you at your high school shop class.

Thanks for the tips!  I actually did use a metal square and a manual (non spring-loaded) center punch, but just realized my boneheaded mistake - I left the protective plastic coating that came on the yardstick on while drilling.  Of course it skipped around! :facepalm:

As for the cross cut, it also didn't help that I was using my red-handled aviation snips, which were very useful when I was modding PC cases in college for large-diameter fans, but not so useful for cutting in a straight line.

Really at this point I would consider paying someone to make these pieces for me out of delrin if it would be for a reasonable price.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline myke2241

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Herron Sound
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2015, 06:34:33 PM »
Just so you know speed of sound (air) 1,116 fps. Sound travels through metal roughly at 11,600 fps. wood or plastic would be a better sub-straight for preventing sound transmission.
Sound Devices 788, Sony PCM-M10
MKH 416, MKH 70, MKH 80, MKH 8040, MKH 8090, Schoeps CCM 41, CCM 8, Sonic Studios DSM-6SL, Fostex M22RP MS, Soundfield ST450

Offline sperho

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Newbie
    • AudioVisual
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2015, 12:01:26 AM »
CM3s with windscreens.

Thanks for keeping this thread updated... I'm on the waitlist for a pair of CM3s and am going to DIY a windscreen of some sort.  What are you using?  If it's DIY, can you post a picture?

Offline voltronic

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2015, 06:16:10 AM »
CM3s with windscreens.

Thanks for keeping this thread updated... I'm on the waitlist for a pair of CM3s and am going to DIY a windscreen of some sort.  What are you using?  If it's DIY, can you post a picture?

I'm using the included foam screens, and for outdoor recordings I add a set of TBrown's Dead Muppets.  These two models should also work - I plan pick up a spare set at some point:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/850366-REG/auray_whf_2040_hh_foam_20mm_1_dia_40mm_1_6.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/298936-REG/WindTech_1212_Windtech_1200_Series.html
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline voltronic

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2015, 06:54:08 AM »
Here's the updated version I just made with much more accurate cutting and drilling and then painted so they look nice.  Lyres even a bit more narrowly spaced at 35mm. 

Other hardware if you're curious:

Hosa MHD-4 5/8 F - 3/16 M adapter
Neoprene washers above and below bracket
3/8 hex nut
M3 lock nut and washer
M3 screws (included with lyres)

I didn't use 3/8 lock washers for the center mount, but instead used neoprene washers on both sides of the aluminum bracket which makes for a solid friction fit when tightened down with a socket wrench.  You'll also see I wrapped tape around the bottom of the Hosa adapters with white marks that line up with corresponding marks on the front and back of the stereo bar for the angles / spacings I use.  (The greenish mix is because I previously marked the bar with green Sharpie, and I just went over it with white paint marker.)

These are now exactly what I was looking for - very compact, fixed vertical angle, and best of all the total cost for both mounts came to under $70.  I would say to others out there that if, like me, you want to step up to Rycote shocks but don't want / need the vertical adjustment, want to get away much cheaper, and don't mind a little work yourself, then I think this may be worth it.  With better skills and equipment I'm sure you could make something even nicer, but this works for me.

Maiden voyage is this Saturday for an orchestra / choir performance I'm part of.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 05:31:18 PM by voltronic »
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.093 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com