Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tivo service to be offered on Comcast DVR boxes  (Read 4538 times)

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Stomach Full of Regret
Tivo service to be offered on Comcast DVR boxes
« on: January 11, 2007, 03:57:21 PM »
http://www.cmcsk.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=147565&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=949048&highlight=

pretty cool, the tivo interface is so much better than the comcast guide system. 

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • FJ Baby!
Re: Tivo service to be offered on Comcast DVR boxes
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 11:31:37 AM »
the comcast system is hands down better than the cox system.  ugh.

I've never used tivo, but I have a scientific altlanta hd dvr though cox and its horrible.  if you pause a recording half way through, and then come back to it later, you have to fast forward all the way back to the spot you left off instead of just resuming.  pain in the butt.  and the menu's suck too.

i'd give anything to go back to my motorola through comcast.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline Shawn

• is old and tired
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 02:20:40 PM »
this is good news. I've used both extensively and the comcast system is complete garbage compared to tivo.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 04:43:44 PM »
This can't happen soon enough for me.  I imagine I'll find out whether the issues I have with -all- my Comcast boxes are hardware-based:  failure to clear new space for new recordings, long delays between remote actions, locking to a single channel, locking up completely and not displaying anything, randomly failing to record scheduled recordings, etc.  Every single box I've had from Comcast suffers from these problems.  Can't wait for the Tivo flavor...
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline joekar

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 05:01:08 PM »
I have a cable box from Cablevision with a built in 100g hard drive and a Sony DVD Player/Burner with a 160g hard drive........260 gigs of video storage space combined......I could not be happier.....Commercial free TV   ;D  ;D.......Both boxes work flawlessly.......and when the hard drives fill up I can dump anything I want to keep into a DVD....

The cable box is for High Definition but my TV is not, it  is  a Toshiba 36"CRT ....They ran out of the standard TV boxes at the Cablevision  office and gave me a HD one instead....Now I get 21 more channels for free..... the HD channels look great......DVD quality...unfortunately they seldom have any good programming on.....Mostly just the channels that I normally get in standard definition....I usually watch the PBS channel in HD, and it looks great.....The only sport I (seldom) watch is hockey..and the Rangers still play like shit...even in HD... ;D

Peace,
jk
Roman Moroni: I would like to direct this to the distinguished members of the panel: You lousy corksuckers. You have violated my farging rights. Dis somanumbatching country was founded so that the liberties of common patriotic citizens like me could not be taken away by a bunch of fargin iceholes... like yourselves.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2007, 05:06:07 PM »
Working in concert with Comcast, TiVo has developed a software application that will enable Comcast to deploy the service for a modest monthly fee to existing set-top boxes without an additional in-home visit by a technician.

Not so happy about the above.  So because Comcast can't get their act together and offer even mildly functional DVRs, I now have to pay extra just to get a properly functioning DVR?  ::)
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Shawn

• is old and tired
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2007, 10:25:38 AM »
This can't happen soon enough for me.  I imagine I'll find out whether the issues I have with -all- my Comcast boxes are hardware-based:  failure to clear new space for new recordings, long delays between remote actions, locking to a single channel, locking up completely and not displaying anything, randomly failing to record scheduled recordings, etc.  Every single box I've had from Comcast suffers from these problems.  Can't wait for the Tivo flavor...
yeah I've been wondering if some of the problems I've seen are hardware or software based. about twice a week I completely loose the audio, and the only thing that will bring it back is to unplug the unit from the wal,l wait a few seconds, and plug it back in. Last night it kept loosing the picture for a second or two and when it came back the audi was gone. If I changed the4 channel and then changed it back the audio would magically return. My brother has the same unit and is constantly having problems too.

I hope that the problems are software based.

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • The Jokell
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2007, 04:21:33 PM »

I've never used tivo, but I have a scientific altlanta hd dvr though cox and its horrible.  if you pause a recording half way through, and then come back to it later, you have to fast forward all the way back to the spot you left off instead of just resuming.  pain in the butt.  and the menu's suck too.

Do you have an old Cox box?  I've had Cox DVR in the past (and my parents do now) and they all use Motorola boxes.  Maybe call Cox and see if you can upgrade? 

I never really had a problem with the Cox DVRs, but they paled in comparison to Dish Networks DVRs.  I still haven't used a tivo proper yet, so I can't compare to them. ;)
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2007, 11:51:40 AM »

Do you have an old Cox box?  I've had Cox DVR in the past (and my parents do now) and they all use Motorola boxes.  Maybe call Cox and see if you can upgrade? 

I never really had a problem with the Cox DVRs, but they paled in comparison to Dish Networks DVRs.  I still haven't used a tivo proper yet, so I can't compare to them. ;)

I think its the old box.  I checked out their website and it shows a motorola box too, which is looks similar to the comcast box.

I'm not too concerned.  Now that I've got my new puter up and running, I'll probably go back to grabbing most of my tv shows from the internet and then just streaming them through the xbox.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.055 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com