Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New improved microtrack (MT II)  (Read 137365 times)

Offline Real2Real

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: New improved microtrack (MT II)
« Reply #360 on: June 05, 2008, 11:27:27 PM »
Hey, guys -- Thanks for all the great info in this forum.

I've been enjoying my MicroTrack II for a couple of months now. But I recently encountered a weird problem that I haven't seen documented anywhere else.

While listening back to a large file (approx. 1.25 GB) on the unit, I accidentally hit the Record button. The MTII started recording a new file. I didn't have a mic plugged in, so apparently it was just recording silence. After about a second, I hit Record again to stop recording. I stowed the recorder, not knowing that something terrible had just happened.

Later at home I transferred files from the MTII into my computer. Disappointingly, the file I'd been listening to had been erased!! ??? Well, sort of. The file name was still there, but it had a size of Zero KB.

I didn't hit the Delete button to erase this file, because I would have had to confirm the delete and I know that didn't happen. I also know that the file wasn't empty before, because I listened to a lot of it before it got Zeroed out. I also know this wasn't caused by static electricity on my CF card, because I use a large format card (16GB) that I never change out.

I also tried replicating the error on a different file, but the MTII just recorded a new file without changing the one I was listening to. So I'm stumped as to what's going on.

Has anybody else had this problem? Any ideas?

Thanks, R2R

Offline JoeKiller

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Duo!
    • JoeKiller.com
« Reply #361 on: June 10, 2008, 03:38:17 PM »
Ouch man, sounds like one hell of a bug.  Let everyone know which version of the firmware you are using and someone else can test to confirm the bug.  You could just try to reproduce it.  Perhaps it only occurs if you are really far into a playback?  Hope it works out or at least it is figured out what the issue is.
spc4>mme>mt

Archive List

Offline manitouman

• Trade Count: (36)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Los Bulls!!!
« Reply #362 on: June 13, 2008, 02:30:53 PM »
So are these good enough to purchase one yet? I've got the MTI and have had no problems. I've just been waiting till the bugs were worked out before getting the MT II. So are we good enough to go yet? I found an online retailer selling them for $214 and some change brand new.
Mics: AKG CK31, CK32>LM 3> MPA III

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #363 on: June 13, 2008, 03:07:47 PM »
So are these good enough to purchase one yet? I've got the MTI and have had no problems. I've just been waiting till the bugs were worked out before getting the MT II. So are we good enough to go yet? I found an online retailer selling them for $214 and some change brand new.

are you running SPDIF into it? I love mine. Works like a charm on the 2GB seamless split.

Offline anhisr

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #364 on: June 13, 2008, 03:14:46 PM »
using it as a bit bucket, I have no problems with the unit.   The internal battery or the draw of the machine is much better than the MT I.  I can do a whole show and opening band with the internal battery.  I still have an external in my bag, just in case though.
Audio: Neumann KM 100> 20, 30, 40, 43 or 50 > V3 > MT II (love that M/S)
Still Camera Body: Canon D5 Mark II
Canon Lenses:  16-35mm f2.8L II USM; 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM; 70-200mm f2.8L IS USM
Video Canon HF R30

archive  http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/anhisr

Offline batchain

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #365 on: June 13, 2008, 04:07:54 PM »
I've got an older one as well as the MT II. As said, for bit buckets they are great. A few things I really like about the MT II's is that they boot up fast, do seemless splits and have the backlight so you can turn it off/on when you want it with a switch.
Primary: Peluso CEMC6/CK-4/CK-21 > Fostex FR2-LE or Tascam DR-680
Secondary: Edirol R09-HR

Offline manitouman

• Trade Count: (36)
  • Los Bulls!!!
« Reply #366 on: June 13, 2008, 06:28:01 PM »
Just using it for  >:D recordings. I'll be using the CA gear and utilizing the 1/4" TRS inputs. I'll be doing most of the gain with the CA 9100 pre. The way I've done it before is set the MT at 75% of the gain and then adjust the rest via the pre. Seems to work good for me that way.

My old one runs fine but I want to record via 24/96 and don't want to have to worry about stopping/starting near the 2GB mark.
Mics: AKG CK31, CK32>LM 3> MPA III

Offline huskerdu

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #367 on: June 14, 2008, 10:32:23 AM »
Just using it for  >:D recordings. I'll be using the CA gear and utilizing the 1/4" TRS inputs. I'll be doing most of the gain with the CA 9100 pre. The way I've done it before is set the MT at 75% of the gain and then adjust the rest via the pre. Seems to work good for me that way.

My old one runs fine but I want to record via 24/96 and don't want to have to worry about stopping/starting near the 2GB mark.

Be aware of the "sprinkler sound" when using the MT II 1/4" inputs with an unbalanced source. If the inputs are not balanced, you can probably get away with it by using as little of the MT II gain as possible.
"The main difference between a singer/songwriter and a puppy is that eventually a puppy will quit whining." - Jason Ringenberg

Offline Rleeee

• Taperssection Regular
  • Lets Dance, Sylvia, Dance!
« Reply #368 on: June 14, 2008, 02:51:04 PM »
Ok, I think I'm ready to get one of these. I'm not very tech savvy, so please be kind to the slow witted.
 I don't know whats balanced or unbalanced on my gear. I just know that when I plug it all together it works.
 So what I want to know is. How would I get AT831 mics and a SP-SPSB-8 battery box to work with the MTII?
 1- Would I use the 1/8" mic input?   
 2- Some sort of stereo 1/8" to 1/4" adapter from Radio Shack for lines in?
 3- See if Ed at Kind Kables, or someone can make me a custom device that would the job. (I only have one good hand so I can't do my own soldering.)   
         Thanks in advance, Richard
Open:  Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > Kind Kables Chameleon > Marantz PMD-661 (Oade Concert Mod)

No Stand:  AT831s > CA Bat 2B Battery Box > Tascam DR-07 

" Poor people need MUISC too! "

Offline taperwheeler

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #369 on: June 16, 2008, 01:33:01 PM »
I have recorded with my MTII using sp/at mics similar to yours and have had great results.  They'll plug straight in to the 1/8 jack.  Trust me, you wanna avoid the trs inputs at all costs!
Mics: SP-CMC-8 AT933 Body 4.7K mod AT853 (c, sc) U853 (h) Microline Shotguns
Pres: CA 9100, SP-Preamp
Recorders: MT2 , Tascam DR-07, PCM-M10, PCM A10

Offline taperwheeler

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #370 on: July 01, 2008, 12:42:09 PM »
Made my first real stealth recording over the weekend at a large venue running at-spc-8 mics directly into my mt2.  Overall I am pretty happy with the result.  The vocals came out pretty crisp and clear, and the sound is good to my ears, but there is something rather off with the low end.  I'm not sure if I should've used my battery box w/roll off or if it maybe had anything to do with location of my mics (clipped to my backpack that I had on my lap).  Either way, was hoping someone could give me some insight or critique as to what I could do to improve the existing recording, or capture better recordings in the future.

Thanks...

Offline Carlos E. Martinez

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #371 on: July 02, 2008, 07:24:34 AM »
Trust me, you wanna avoid the trs inputs at all costs!

You mean as unbalanced mic input, right? It seems to work fine for balanced mics.

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #372 on: July 03, 2008, 04:04:25 PM »
Made my first real stealth recording over the weekend at a large venue running at-spc-8 mics directly into my mt2.  Overall I am pretty happy with the result.  The vocals came out pretty crisp and clear, and the sound is good to my ears, but there is something rather off with the low end.  I'm not sure if I should've used my battery box w/roll off or if it maybe had anything to do with location of my mics (clipped to my backpack that I had on my lap).  Either way, was hoping someone could give me some insight or critique as to what I could do to improve the existing recording, or capture better recordings in the future.

Thanks...

Were the mics cardioid or omni caps? Omnis are often very boomy. This can be fixed in post if you have an EQ. Can you describe what you mean by "off". Is that muddy, or boomy, or lacking bass? How obstructed were the mics in your lap? All that info would be useful.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline taperwheeler

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #373 on: July 04, 2008, 02:40:37 PM »
Sounds distorted.  I posted a clip up here...

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,106415.0.html

They were cardiod caps.  The mics were angled up towards the stacks, clipped to my backpack.  I'm wondering if running the batt box would've helped. 

Offline taperwheeler

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #374 on: July 06, 2008, 05:26:46 PM »
Sounds distorted.  I posted a clip up here...

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,106415.0.html

They were cardiod caps.  The mics were angled up towards the stacks, clipped to my backpack.  I'm wondering if running the batt box would've helped. 

Also, these are old sp-cmc-8 mics.  They have the AT933 caps.  Thanks again for any input...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.109 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com