Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sennheiser MKE2 Waterproof GoPro mic - hacks and modifications  (Read 49572 times)

Offline ycoop

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Sennheiser MKE2 Waterproof GoPro mic - hacks and modifications
« Reply #150 on: March 16, 2019, 01:02:47 PM »
I’m considering wiring these up to mini XLR jacks and having mics that can easily be disconnected from their cables to allow for easier storage, transport, and setup. Are there any obvious reasons to avoid this that I may be overlooking?

I used mini XLRs.  I think the only downside is the size of the connectors.

I was thinking about having the jack/plug section sticking out the back and being in use, as opposed to taking that off and using the body of the connector and having the wire come out where the wire normally would.
Mics: Avantone CK-1s, AT853 c+o
Pres: CA9100
Recorders: DR-60d mkII, DR-2d

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #151 on: March 16, 2019, 02:39:41 PM »
I’m considering wiring these up to mini XLR jacks and having mics that can easily be disconnected from their cables to allow for easier storage, transport, and setup. Are there any obvious reasons to avoid this that I may be overlooking?

I was thinking about having the jack/plug section sticking out the back and being in use, as opposed to taking that off and using the body of the connector and having the wire come out where the wire normally would.

Maybe I didn't get enough sleep last night, but I can't picture what you're describing.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline heathen

« Reply #152 on: March 16, 2019, 02:52:45 PM »
It occurred to me that I haven't posted a picture of the first pair I've made.  See attached (the other one looks the same but with black heat shrink instead of red at the connector end).  I still need to figure out a way to give the windscreens a tighter fit to the body.  They will hold when just slid on, but wind could easily get in the gap between the body of the mic and the inner radius of the windscreen opening.  I'll probably just tape the gear ties to the body for mounting these.  I should be able to get at least a 20 foot spread with the length of cable used.  Hopefully that will make for some good pulls at Red Rocks.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline ycoop

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #153 on: March 16, 2019, 07:20:31 PM »

Maybe I didn't get enough sleep last night, but I can't picture what you're describing.

I admittedly did not do a great job explaining. What I’m envisioning is something more similar to a standard SDC, with a male mini XLR plug at the end of a tube with the mic capsules at the opposite end. This would allow the cables to be easily disconnected from the capsules.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 09:10:34 PM by ycoop »
Mics: Avantone CK-1s, AT853 c+o
Pres: CA9100
Recorders: DR-60d mkII, DR-2d

Offline heathen

« Reply #154 on: March 16, 2019, 07:31:36 PM »
I admittedly did not do a great job explaining. What I’m envisioning is something more similar to a standard SDC, with a male mini XLR plug at the end of a tube with the mic capsules at the end opposite end. This would allow the cables to be easily disconnected from the capsules.

Ah I see.  Probably doable.  If you try it make sure to share your progress here...I'd love to see it happen.

Offline lsd2525

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #155 on: March 18, 2019, 10:12:41 AM »
It occurred to me that I haven't posted a picture of the first pair I've made.  See attached (the other one looks the same but with black heat shrink instead of red at the connector end).  I still need to figure out a way to give the windscreens a tighter fit to the body.  They will hold when just slid on, but wind could easily get in the gap between the body of the mic and the inner radius of the windscreen opening.  I'll probably just tape the gear ties to the body for mounting these.  I should be able to get at least a 20 foot spread with the length of cable used.  Hopefully that will make for some good pulls at Red Rocks.

So what did you use to make the "bodies" ?
Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's
Recorders: M10; DR-60D; DR-701D

Offline DavidPuddy

• Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #156 on: March 18, 2019, 10:16:27 AM »

You could just wrap some gaff tape around the neck to make it fit tightly until you find something more permanent.
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

mfrench

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #157 on: March 18, 2019, 11:00:25 AM »

Don't overthink omnis. They do not have the rear of capsule venting that directional mics do. That venting is what causes havoc. Directional mics suffer from wind; omnis are far more forgiving.  I'd be more worried about mechanical noise presented from the wind moving the screens, than any real wind noise.

mfrench

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #158 on: March 18, 2019, 11:32:07 AM »
I've posted a sample from yesterdays symphony orchestra concert.  It is with the mics as Boundary Layer Effect pair, spaced 14', and taped tight to the balcony face wall; hard drywall face. This was an acoustic concert, no p.a.. From apprx. 17th row depth, balcony face.
https://archive.org/details/test2.horizontal
Find: Romeo and Juliet Fantasy

Offline heathen

« Reply #159 on: March 18, 2019, 11:49:10 AM »

So what did you use to make the "bodies" ?

The brass tubing that Moke used.  He used two sizes, and I only used the smaller size.  It was in stock at Ace Hardware.

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #160 on: March 18, 2019, 12:03:50 PM »
That recording is nice Moke. I just love ambient omni recordings how they can really create the illusion you are there.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #161 on: April 11, 2019, 11:40:13 PM »
Would anyone here be willing to finish the mics I have hacked  for a fee? I got them out of the case and now that I have a relocation coming up very soon I certainly will not have time to finish them. Im just looking for 5 feet of cable to a mini plug nothing fancy and Id be willing to pay reasonable amount for time and parts. Just hate to put these on the shelf and not get any use out of them.

Since Im moving to New Orleans I may have lots of oppotunities to get a small rig on stage at club shows so having a pocket sized rig would be perfect.

Any help?
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline DavidPuddy

• Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #162 on: April 12, 2019, 06:54:02 PM »
I was messing with my M10 and forgot that I tested these mics at the Mother Hips show a few months ago. They sound really good straight into the recorder. Nice full bass and crisp highs. There is chatter but they're omnis so nothing lost there.

I'll post a sample this weekend if anyone's interested in how they handle higher SPLs.
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline heathen

« Reply #163 on: April 13, 2019, 04:20:42 PM »
I finally got around to testing these in a loud show last night with my Roland R-05.  The samples I'm linking are purely for testing the mics...I had the two mics mounted close together, and only generally pointed towards the stage, so don't expect any good stereo image or the like.  (Also I can't say much for the music itself, but that's beside the point.)  I've done exactly zero post-processing to these clips.  At the time of recording, I wasn't particularly concerned about getting the levels the same for each sample...I was just concerned that the levels weren't clipping and were in the same general ballpark.  Here's a link to download all the clips (good for seven days): https://we.tl/t-NeHadQrBmJ  I'd really like to hear others' thoughts about which sound distorted, which sound like they're working properly, etc.

Here's a breakdown of how things were configured in each clip (note that there was some crackling from the PA at times):

0416_065737
Mic in, pip, mic bias 1.2, input level 9

0416_070200
Line in, ca9200 0 gain, input level 9

0416_070527
Line in, ca9200 10 gain, input level 5

0416_070946
Line in, ca9200 15 gain, input level 4

0416_071351
Line in, ubb, input level 9

0416_073700
Mic in, pip, mic bias .9, input level 20

0416_074110
Mic in, pip, mic bias .75, input level 20

Offline illconditioned

« Reply #164 on: April 13, 2019, 10:26:39 PM »

Here's a breakdown of how things were configured in each clip (note that there was some crackling from the PA at times):
0416_065737
Mic in, pip, mic bias 1.2, input level 9
Mics overloaded.  Plug in power not enough.
0416_070200Line in, ca9200 0 gain, input level 9
Good
0416_070527Line in, ca9200 10 gain, input level 5
Good
0416_070946Line in, ca9200 15 gain, input level 4
brickwall, due to preamp maximum input or output level?

0416_071351
Line in, ubb, input level 9
Good

0416_073700
Mic in, pip, mic bias .9, input level 20
SEEMS ok
0416_074110Mic in, pip, mic bias .75, input level 20
SEEMS OK

Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com