Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 24 bit recorder without microphone attached?  (Read 7559 times)

Offline kylieshotpants

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
24 bit recorder without microphone attached?
« on: January 02, 2017, 05:52:22 PM »
Hi

does such a thing exist, for my stealth purposes the on board mics are never used, but cannot find a model without these- can anyone recommend anything please?

btw Happy new year!

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: 24 bit recorder without microphone attached?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 05:28:07 AM »
Just get one of the many recorders where the mics are flat to the chassis, like a used M10. No bigger than if there were no onboards.

If you insist on no onboard mics you could get a used Microtrack 1, but there are other problems with that machine.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline Ronmac

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2017, 07:00:17 AM »
iPhone/iPad?

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2017, 08:57:23 AM »
^ has mic attached!
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2017, 10:02:05 AM »
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Online Gutbucket

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2017, 11:10:51 AM »
^ mono only.

Otherwise it could make for a quite interesting recorder for us. I've dreamed of a 6 channel version of something similar for years, which just ain't gonna happen, but a plain jane stereo capable version would be tre cool.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 02:54:21 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2017, 11:13:14 AM »
TASCAM DR-10L ?

http://tascam.com/product/dr-10l/

Mono!

Given the size of the existing crop - I can't see too much downside to the built ins.

And - you have a backup source if your mics fail - or find yourself in a situation where you can't wear mics.

Offline rippleish20

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2017, 01:04:17 PM »
Zoom H6
AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3
paypal: rippleish20@gmail.com

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2017, 01:34:23 PM »

Online Gutbucket

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2017, 06:22:13 PM »
Core Sound once planned to market a preamp which mux'd 4 channels to 2, with software demuxing of the resulting files back to 4, but it never panned out.  Let me see if I can find a link.
Here- http://www.core-sound.com/4Mic/1.php

That required a 96 or 192kHz SPDIF input recorder, with the Microtracker the small recorder option targeted for doing so at the time.  That was prior to the availability of lower cost analog input multichannel recorders which squashed the market for it, the R-44 came out right around that time, then cheaper Tascams and Zooms.  Plus it was about as large as the 4 and 6 channel all-in one recorders now available, and probably around the same cost or more.

But I've wondered if the same could be done robustly enough with a mux'd analog output to withstand the D>A>D conversion necessary to use a small recorder which only has analog inputs.  Not sure if the real world bandwidth of the available small recorders would be up to it though.  The now discontinued Tascam Dr2d can record 4 channels at 24/96, dunno it's realworld S/N capability or frequency range though.  But it could potentially capture 8 channels at 44.1 that way, and the ubiquitous Sony M10 or the like 4.

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2017, 09:24:30 PM »
^ mono only.

Otherwise it could make for a quite interesting recorder for us. I've dreamed of a 6 channel version of something similar for years, which just ain't gonna happen, but a plain jane stereo capable version would be tre cool.

Are there any small stereo recorders that can do 192kHz?  If so, it's possible to multiplex eight 44.1kHz channels into stereo 192kHz.

The new Tascam DR-100 mkIII does 192 kHz, but I think the smallest may be Sonosax miniR82.  That one fits the OP's needs of very small size and no attached mics, but it's WAY expensive (4500 EUR last I heard).  I'm sure there are others out there.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline jefflester

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2017, 09:34:22 PM »
TASCAM DR-10L ?

Or http://tascam.com/product/dr-10x/overview/

Just use two and sync later.  :D

Input/output ratings
・Analog input
Mic jack
Connector XLR JACK (female) (1: GND, 2: HOT, 3: COLD)

When MIC GAIN external input (EXT) selected (HOT pin unbalanced input)
Maximum input level: −8 dBu
Nominal input level: −24 dBu

When MIC GAIN mic input (LO/MID/HI) selected (balanced input)
Maximum input level: −31 dBu
Minimum input level: −63 dBu
Mic input gain
LO: +29 dB
MID: +35 dB
HI: +45 dB
Input impedance: 10 kΩ or more

« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 09:37:31 PM by jefflester »
DPA4061 HEB -> R-09 / AT943 -> CA-UGLY -> R-09
AKG CK63 -> nBob actives -> Baby NBox -> R-09/DR2d
AKG CK63 -> AKG C460B -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII
Line Audio CM4/Superlux S502/Samson C02/iSK Little Gem/Sennheiser E609/Shure SM57 -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII (multitracked band recordings)

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2017, 08:34:45 AM »
Nagra SD - the mic. section is detachable and if you ask Nagra nicely they may sell you one without the mic.

I have had mine since it came out - excellent.

This is the SD without the mic.

Online Gutbucket

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2017, 09:11:46 AM »
I have a sketch of a 4x2 mux with PIP input, but I was kinda waiting on a promised newer DSP chip before I pulled the trigger on the design.  That might be later this year.  It wouldn't be much of a change to do 4x1 and use two of those, so long as the receiving recorder actually has about 88kHz bandwidth at 192kHz.

Very interesting.  Possible  4X2 (44.1kHz > 96kHz) option?  That would broaden the field of perspective recorders significantly.  All the Sony M10s around here would become 4ch capable, the Tascam Dr2ds 8ch capable.  Will keep my ears open.

Online Gutbucket

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2017, 09:13:53 AM »
TASCAM DR-10L ?

Or http://tascam.com/product/dr-10x/overview/

Just use two and sync later.  :D

Input/output ratings
・Analog input
Mic jack
Connector XLR JACK (female)

Keep in mind that 10x is intended for dynamic mics, no phantom on the XLR.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com