Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: V3 vs UA5 power consumption  (Read 1701 times)

spreadheadtom

• Trade Count: (0)
V3 vs UA5 power consumption
« on: October 28, 2005, 09:45:40 AM »
anyone done any comparison on power consumption on both of these units with the wal-mart 5400mah battery?

i ran my VR box last night for the first time and got hardly any time on this battery. the 414's are POWER HUNGRY, but had nooo idea it would be like this.  Fully charged battery, after the first set (68 minutes), I only had 1 green light left on the battery.  I was the only one taping so I went ahead and changed batteries. 

If anyone has any ideas please chime in.....going back and looking at the thread about the VR box, Dan got about 4 hrs 39 minutes running the same mics as me with the JB3 and UA5.  I was running both V3 and JB3 last night.

i plan on taping the North Mississippi All-Stars next saturday and will be able to run 1 battery the entire time just to see exactly what I can get out of it.  There should be enough tapers there to cover me.

thanks for the help!!

Tommy

fwiw....recording came out nice  ;D

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: V3 vs UA5 power consumption
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2005, 10:24:58 AM »
JB3 draws ~250 mA.  V3 draws 600-1000 mA (depending on mics and ADC settings), IME darn close to 1000 mA using my Schoeps with the ADC on.  UA5 draws ~450 mA.  So...

JB3 + UA5 = 700 mA
JB3 + V3 = 1250 mA

Most battery ratings, for example a Li-Ion DVD batt at 5400 mAH, are based on a sloooow discharge.  But our power-hungry devices discharge the batteries very quickly, relatively speaking.  In general, the faster the draw the worse the relative run-time, i.e. the less efficient the use of the battery.  For example, let's take device A (500 mA draw) and device B (1,000 mA draw).  Device B draws double the juice as device A, we might expect it to achieve 1/2 the run-time using the same battery.  However, due to less efficient use of the battery at such a fast discharge rate, device B will achieve less than 1/2 the run-time as device A.

I'd expect far less run-time out of the JB3/UA5 combo as the JB3/V3 combo given the significantly higher draw.  But then again...maybe the Li-Ion indicator lights are very conservative in their configuration and you had more run-time left than you thought?  Did you have a full charge?

Best bet:  double check all your cables for shorts and run some tests at home to simulate field usage and see what happens.  That's the ONLY way to know for sure what sort of run-times you'll achieve with that setup.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

spreadheadtom

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: V3 vs UA5 power consumption
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2005, 11:09:16 AM »
thanks Brian  +T

battery did have a full charge.  i'm gonna give it a go again for sure!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.048 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com