Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Moving up from SoundPro/Church to Actives and a TinyBox...  (Read 9778 times)

Offline Chrisedge

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
Moving up from SoundPro/Church to Actives and a TinyBox...
« on: November 11, 2014, 05:47:15 PM »
I am thinking about moving from my Sound Pro configured AT933s (as well as some Church rarely used CA14 Card/Omni's) to another set of Hyper or Card mics. I love the size (Stealth only here) of the Schoeps Caps and active cables into a TinyBox, but don't QUITE have the funds for that yet. What else is there that is that small? I am lost in a sea of threads, and pictures. Looked at AKG ck63 caps but what else would I need? Love the size of the Schopes set up that I saw in Darktrain's "It's Real Thread"...Can someone tell me what they use, rough pricing and any links to sound samples?

God, I sound like a painintheass. Help!
Audio: Sound Professionals SP-CMC-10 (AT933s) or Church Audio CA-14 (Omni & Cards) Mics >
Sound Professionals Battery Box SP-SPSB-1, SP-SPSB-10 or Church Audio Preamp CA9200 >
Sony PCM-A10, Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-2d Recorders
Video: Panasonic DCM-ZS100 & GoPro 7 Black

Offline Cobiwan

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Moving up from SoundPro/Church to Actives and a TinyBox...
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 06:07:21 PM »
Chris I have a Schoeps> KC5>tinybox rig and I absolutely love it, but I understand how long it takes to get the funds to get there.
Have you considered doing nBob's active cables with AKG caps> tinybox? Lot less $ than a Schoeps stealth rig but still very good results.
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche

Mics:
2 matched pairs of Oktava MK-012 MSP6 with Bill Sitler mod + cardioid, hyper-cardioid, and omni capsules
Church Audio CA-14 omni/UBB
Sonic Studios DSM-6S
Recorders:
Tascam HD-P2, Tascam DR-680, Zoom F-8
Cables:
Gakables XLR, S/PDIF, battery and umbrella, DigiGal AES > S/PDIF, Darktrain hot swap battery

Member of DiGiHoArDeRs

Offline Chrisedge

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 07:11:08 PM »
Chris I have a Schoeps> KC5>tinybox rig and I absolutely love it, but I understand how long it takes to get the funds to get there.
Have you considered doing nBob's active cables with AKG caps> tinybox? Lot less $ than a Schoeps stealth rig but still very good results.

Yep...just wondering what I am dealing with, in regards to the nBob actives. Is it just the collettes and they terminate into a miniXLR? Or is there more to them?

I know the caps are around $600 new (pair) but what else should I expect from a price perspective?
Audio: Sound Professionals SP-CMC-10 (AT933s) or Church Audio CA-14 (Omni & Cards) Mics >
Sound Professionals Battery Box SP-SPSB-1, SP-SPSB-10 or Church Audio Preamp CA9200 >

Offline blg

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 08:26:01 PM »
I am more than likely going to be selling a set of nbob actives and tinybox in the next few weeks.  All you would need is the schoeps caps and a deck and you'd be set.

As others have said, i love this setup and don't think there is a better  >:D rig.
Schoeps MK41 |
Naiant Tinybox v2.5 w/OT
NBob Actives v2
Sony PCM-M10 x2
dime LMA

Offline edtyre

• Trade Count: (85)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Team Philly " No Excuses, Just Tapes"
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 09:14:11 PM »
Both the Schoeps and AKG's sound great and are a big upgrade to what you have.

Last year Nicky C and myself ran CK-61 > nbox and MK-4 > Nbox in a side by side comp
The Schoeps sounded a tad better. Both sounded really great with not too much difference.

I'd say move to the AKG's as soon as possible and if you decide (and can afford the Schoeps) later
you will have NO problem selling the AKG gear and moving on.

I'm not up on the current prices (so correct me if i'm wrong)
ck-61(new)=600
nbob actives=450
tinybox=280
mk-4(used)=1000

music>mics>pre>recorder

Offline blg

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 09:42:48 PM »
I can't help on the AKG's, but i bought both a tinybox and nbobs in the past 2 months:

Tinybox = $350
NBob's = $520
Schoeps MK41 |
Naiant Tinybox v2.5 w/OT
NBob Actives v2
Sony PCM-M10 x2
dime LMA

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2014, 11:21:08 PM »
I agree with Ed's comments.  Both will be a significant upgrade.  There seems to be an upgrade push going on.  I know 2 other tapers upgrading to the Schoeps with actives rig.  The more the merrier.   >:D

Offline colargol

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2014, 02:31:22 AM »
I upgraded to Schoeps/nbox in 2009 and later I have gotten a tinybox also. My only regret is not doing it earlier...
MK4s/MK41s > nbob actives > tinybox/babynbox > M10/A10

Offline yates7592

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2014, 03:23:25 AM »
If you really want Schoeps, then my advice would be to hold back on the AKG's, because (i) they aren't as good; and (ii) it will rob you of money that could be put towards saving for Schoeps and delay your final destination even longer.

Offline Humbug

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Humbug Hum Rejection Unit
    • Trading site
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2014, 11:00:38 AM »
Can you run actives + caps open? How would you shock mount them?
UK based taper: MK4>Nbox Platinum>PCM-M10
AT853C>CA9200 / PIPsqueak>Tascam DR-2D

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Humbug66

Offline achalsey

• Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2014, 11:23:19 AM »
If you really want Schoeps, then my advice would be to hold back on the AKG's, because (i) they aren't as good; and (ii) it will rob you of money that could be put towards saving for Schoeps and delay your final destination even longer.

I feel like this is pretty subjective.  It doesn't sound like he is totally sold on Schoeps just for the sound, but mostly from the size of the set up.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the Schoeps sound.  I know there are others who are in that same boat.  I've been running AKG actives (61s and 63s) for a good while now and and the two other guys I've taped with the most in the past both run either MK4s or MK41s (or more recently both).  Obviously a little personal bias is at play, but 9 times out of 10 I prefer my source to theirs.  That is not to say AKG is the be all end all mics, but to me personally they have a better sound signature than Schoeps. 

To be fair, Schoeps does get the slight edge in detail and clarity, but only just.  The difference is small enough that, to me, it is not enough to be anywhere close to a deal breaker. 

Just wanted to put that out there for a different opinion.  When I A/B my source against a buddy's Schoeps from the stand stand, the AKG feel a little too bright, slightly thin, but 'open' while the Schoeps feel a little too 'thick.'  'Dark' is thrown around a lot, and not a great description in my opinion, but there is something about the lows, or low mids that just seem to fill the recording.  Nothing boomy or anything, just something that seems to fill the background, making them sounding stuffy.

My two cents.  In my perfect world I'd choose something in between the two sounds.  But I'm not looking to move around mics so am happy with the AKGs at the moment.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 11:25:58 AM by achalsey »

Offline Cobiwan

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2014, 12:58:31 PM »
Can you run actives + caps open? How would you shock mount them?

Mount on a DIN/DINa/ORTF/etc bar
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche

Mics:
2 matched pairs of Oktava MK-012 MSP6 with Bill Sitler mod + cardioid, hyper-cardioid, and omni capsules
Church Audio CA-14 omni/UBB
Sonic Studios DSM-6S
Recorders:
Tascam HD-P2, Tascam DR-680, Zoom F-8
Cables:
Gakables XLR, S/PDIF, battery and umbrella, DigiGal AES > S/PDIF, Darktrain hot swap battery

Member of DiGiHoArDeRs

Offline Chrisedge

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2014, 05:12:33 PM »
Thanks for all the replies!

I was interested in the AKG's mainly from a price perspective. I have heard many a Schopes recording, but I am really interested in hypers as the normal cards just pick up too much around me (or the tapers) to make me interested. Anyone with some MK41 vs CK63 examples? Or just great pulls with either?

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2014, 05:29:53 PM »
You can check some of mine and Allyn's pulls on etree!  You should do some listening before pulling the trigger and decide what sound you like the best and if it warrants spending more or less money.  Most people are going to be bias toward the mics they run so doing some listening on your own would help you out a lot.

Thanks for all the replies!

I was interested in the AKG's mainly from a price perspective. I have heard many a Schopes recording, but I am really interested in hypers as the normal cards just pick up too much around me (or the tapers) to make me interested. Anyone with some MK41 vs CK63 examples? Or just great pulls with either?
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline achalsey

• Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2014, 05:43:44 PM »
There are definitely more options on etree.  Here's the only LMA recording John and I did.  Thought I'd find some of Stu's as well but guess not.  I'm not exactly DINa but the mics are right next to each other in basically the same pattern.  Obviously pres and recorder are different.  I think it goes to show how relatively small the differences are though.  That said, these are not the best recordings.  Not bad, but string bands in the Orange Peel usually don't make spectacular recordings.  Also, I will concede that this is on the shows that I will say I think John's 41s might sound a little better.   ;D

https://archive.org/details/GSBG2014-09-26.CK63.MiniMe.flac16
https://archive.org/details/GSBG2014-09-26.MK41.PSP3.flac16

As close to stealth set up I've got is this Umphreys show.  FOB, little above head height.  It think it sounds pretty good.

https://archive.org/details/UM2014-02-14.CK63.V2.flac16
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 05:48:13 PM by achalsey »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.102 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com