Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: SVU-1 Calibration affected by heat?  (Read 6687 times)

Offline blu666z

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • AT ES943(H/C/O caps) » JKLab PP9 Pre » wmod UA-5
SVU-1 Calibration affected by heat?
« on: April 08, 2005, 07:12:36 PM »
Been having a little issue with my SVU-1 lately and wanted to see if anybody else had experienced it.  I have been calibrating my SVU-1 out of my bag.  I set the first red light to match up with the -3db light on the UA-5.  What I have found is after about 20-30 at a show, the SVU-1 will light up both red lights fairly brightly before the UA-5 light is coming on.  Does it make sense that a build up of heat in the bag from the UA-5/JB3/SVU-1 could be affecting the metering of the SVU-1?  If so, I can easily rememdy it by letting everything warm way up before I calibrate it, but I wanted to make sure I was on the right path before I did.

-Kevin

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
Re: SVU-1 Calibration affected by heat?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2005, 09:39:53 AM »
I never had that issue with mine, and I used mine (svu-2) a lot in my bag.  Are you connected to your ua-5 or to your recorder?

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline blu666z

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2005, 12:41:08 PM »
UA-5

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2005, 10:28:39 PM »
UA-5
This leaves room for error.  First off, the headphone out shares an amp with the rca outs, so if you are patching someone out of either, then your are reducing the signal to the svu.  Secondly you have adjustments for the output of the rca and headphone amp, and there is a monitor button that does something... can't remember exactly what though.  Your best bet all around is to run the svu off of your recording device.  This will help with a consistant level, monitor the level of the recording directly, and it is a great way to troubleshoot your recorder.  I assume you are using a jb3?  If the lights ain't flikerin', you aint recordin'!

Just my 2 cents.

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline blu666z

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2005, 11:04:52 PM »
I would still have the same problem of the calibration changing no matter of where it is in the line. 

-Kevin

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2005, 02:46:43 AM »
I would still have the same problem of the calibration changing no matter of where it is in the line. 

-Kevin
if it is heat, yes.

Matt

*edit*  you may want to post this question on the team svu-x thread, and see if anyone else is having this problem.

Offline blu666z

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2005, 10:58:37 PM »
Update.  Been working on recalibrating the SVU tonite.  I only had the left RCA jack on the back of the SVU connected and the REC Source button on the UA-5 set to Analog.  If I turned the right gain knob on the UA-5 it would affect the left meter on the SVU.  ie.  The right gain was at minimum and I had the left gain adjusted to have the SVU at 0 DBs.  If I turned the right gain all the way up, the left meter on the SVU would jump up another light to +3 DBs. 

By setting the REC Source to Digital, moving the right gain on the UA-5 had no effect on the left meters.  Some sort of bleed through in the UA-5 when you have it set to Analog.

Can anyone explain or confirm this?

-Kevin

Offline dklein

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2005, 10:11:33 AM »

Can anyone explain or confirm this?

-Kevin

Was the monitor button lit? - try again with monitor off.
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline blu666z

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2005, 11:16:33 AM »
Monitor was on, default when unit is turned on.  I'll try again tomorrow with it off.

-Kevin

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2005, 12:01:38 PM »
can't really help you with the issue but i know 99.9% of everyone i talked to said use the svu and jb3 line out, not the ua5
so as mentioned that could be part of the prob
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline blu666z

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2005, 12:43:20 PM »
As long as the UA-5 is used with the same settings as it had when you calibrated, you should be fine.  My problem is that the SVU was calibrated with the REC source in the digital position but that later got set to Analog.  Why add the JB3 between the UA-5 and the SVU-1?  Seems like that just adds another layer of settings that you have to keep the same as when you calibrated it. 

-Kevin

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2005, 01:30:16 PM »
well i was told that if you use it at the end, you will have the exact settings everytime
and if for some reason one of your parts isn't working right you will prob notice sooner because the svu will not light up
for example if the jb3 stops working with the svu before it you will not know because the svu will still show activity, but if the jb3 stops working and the svu is last you will see because the li8ghts will stop working too
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline blu666z

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2005, 03:26:56 PM »
Good point.

-Kevin

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2005, 03:32:31 PM »
I tend to beat this one like a dead horse, but you are monitoring your recording and not your pre.  It only makes sence to connect to the recorder.

Matt

Offline blu666z

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2005, 04:09:59 PM »
I tend to beat this one like a dead horse, but you are monitoring your recording and not your pre. It only makes sence to connect to the recorder.

Matt

I am feeding the JB3 an optical signal so there should be no difference correct?

-Kevin

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.095 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com