Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Need some help about buying external microphone.  (Read 10484 times)

Offline avrilfan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Need some help about buying external microphone.
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2008, 06:30:36 PM »
You know what ? I will just order the audio reality binaurals.
I also contacted the church audio, but the person said it takes about 4 weeks to build. I would buy them, but I simply dont have that much time. :(
So, hoping these audio reality work good. Being in first row, somewhere arround the middle I hope, will point them forward and little up, wearing them on my glasses. I hope the sound will be high, and that they wont pick so much sound from behind (audience).
When the concerts are over, will maybe post some result here.

Tomaz
CA-11 Cards > CA-9100 Preamp > Zoom H2 :)

Thanks you Chris Church for your awesome gear.

Offline setboy

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2008, 09:45:48 PM »
You know what ? I will just order the audio reality binaurals.
I also contacted the church audio, but the person said it takes about 4 weeks to build. I would buy them, but I simply dont have that much time. :(
So, hoping these audio reality work good. Being in first row, somewhere arround the middle I hope, will point them forward and little up, wearing them on my glasses. I hope the sound will be high, and that they wont pick so much sound from behind (audience).
When the concerts are over, will maybe post some result here.

Tomaz

look in the yard sale. i think i saw some church mics there

Offline sunjan

• Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2008, 11:56:36 AM »
Stroj Machine

Cool! AKA The Stroy, I guess??? Band member Aldo Ivancic used to be the brain behind seminal band Borghesia in the 80's.

I had low mic gain, recording at level 95, and the bars at some points got to ful (very loud bass). Might windshield fix it?

Well, being able to record from 1st rows at both concerts, I am planning to do the same at Avril's concerts. So I might just buy some better little microphone, not pair, and target it at speakers again.

Edit: here in my country, they sell this mic: AT 831 R

Are you sure you know what you're doing now?!  ???
1. The windshield wouldn't have made much different to the bass response, it's only good for eliminating wind noise outdoors.
2. And if you had too much bass at 1st row, learn from your mistake and move further back next gig, instead of aiming for row 1 again!
3. If you pick up external mics for the H2, it would be a very good idea to buy them in pairs. There's no way you can get a proper stereo image if you only pick up one AT mic ("not pair"?)

€199 for one AT831 sounds way overpriced IMHO. Take a look in the yard sale and get a feel for the pricing picture. You can pick up a set of Church Cards for much less (and they come in pairs!). If you buy secnond hand, you have full control of the shipping date. Even if the Slovenian customs slap on their fee, it'll still be a better deal...

/J
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 11:58:35 AM by sunjan »
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline avrilfan

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2008, 01:48:47 PM »
Yes, they were also known as The Stroj. But now they renamed, because of new members arround. If you wish to download full set (7 songs I think), heres the link - http://212.235.177.59/StrojMachine.rar

And I am currently discusing with the person from Church Audio. I am thinking of only buying the mics (CA-11 or CA-14) without preamp, since someone wrote he didnt encounter any troubles without. What do you guys think about that ?

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2008, 04:46:45 PM »
Yes, they were also known as The Stroj. But now they renamed, because of new members arround. If you wish to download full set (7 songs I think), heres the link - http://212.235.177.59/StrojMachine.rar

And I am currently discusing with the person from Church Audio. I am thinking of only buying the mics (CA-11 or CA-14) without preamp, since someone wrote he didnt encounter any troubles without. What do you guys think about that ?

You must run my mics with a preamp or at the very least a battery box because the h2 does not provide enough voltage to power the mics and it also overloads pretty easy on the mic input. Another reason to get a preamp.

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2008, 12:03:33 AM »
BTW: Don't forget the SoundProfessionals range...

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/category/110

digifish

- What's this knob do?

Offline avrilfan

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2008, 08:09:59 AM »
I have ordered ST-9100 preamp and CA-11 ($281.00) from you, Chris. Have already sent you an email. :)

And I hope you they re good. Anyone has any examples here, because I cant wait:D
Maybe some rock with female vocals... ;)

Offline jkbyram

• Taperssection Underachiever
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2008, 08:27:36 AM »
not a female singer but a good recording with those mics

http://www.archive.org/details/mofro2008-02-05.stc-11.flac16

Offline indietaperwloo

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2008, 12:33:21 AM »
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,103661.0.html

If you look at the revelation as to what these mics actually are, I've been using a pair of Sennheiser KE4-210-2's on loan from illconditioned run into a Sony HiMD recorder in PCM and they've been pretty darn good to me so far.  I've recorded 7 bands with them (Stealing Dan, Kidstreet, Bocce, Stephen Trothan, Supermarine and Union of Lanterns) and most of them are my favorites so far.
Although, if you want a better mic, go with the Knowles Acoustics mics but you'd have to build the hat yourself, unless you know someone who's good with electronics and a solder and glue gun.  These mics are tiny too - 0.1" so I don't think anyone will notice them.
Portable 2 track:
Sennheiser MKE2 (HRTF) > Edirol R-09
AT822 > Edirol R-09
Studio Projects C4 (ORTF/XY) > Presonus Firepod > Edirol R-09

4 Track Open Rig:
Studio Projects C4 (ORTF)/FOH Feed > Edirol R4

FOH:
Mackie 1604 VLZ Pro > dbx 215 Graphic EQ > Behringer PMX2000 (Power Amp Section) > Behringer B1220 Mains

Multitrack:
Mackie 1604 VLZ Pro > Tascam DA-38 w/Burr Brown Op-amps

Out:
M-Audio Fast Track Pro > Mackie 1604 VLZ Pro > ESI nEar05 nearfields OR AKG K99 Headphones

Offline sunjan

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2008, 04:25:57 PM »
I have ordered ST-9100 preamp and CA-11 ($281.00) from you, Chris.

Wise decision, T+!
BTW, Tomaz, I know this is a long shot, but I'm looking for anything with Borghesia: live recordings, demos etc.
Do you have any leads???!

Offline avrilfan

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2008, 04:08:52 AM »
No, I dont have anything about Borghesia, but I will definately look arround and tell you. Right now im running out of time, gotta study also, but tommorow, I will have time in the evening. Will send you some links if I find anything.

Offline avrilfan

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2008, 10:20:55 AM »
Hey guys. It has been some time since I posted here...

Any way, I just got Church Audio CA-11 and ST-9100. These are so great. Thanks for anyone suggesting them to me and to Chris for making them and sending just in time as we have agreed.

They work great with my Zoom H2 and I hope to have some great recordings out there!

This 2 next weeks I will go try them out as much as I can, but then it will be for real:)
Now I'm asking anyone here who has some experiences with recording live events. As mentioned Im going to Avril Lavigne shows. Front rows might be crazy ... so please help me decide where to go. Trying to move away from the screamers, where is better: centre or at side ? Point mics to the speakers if possible ? But I will keep an eye on the recorder, not to overload anything.
But however on 1 show I will be in first row and I dont think there will be much choice where to move. So i just point them in front?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 10:35:36 AM by avrilfan »

Offline sunjan

« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2008, 01:17:39 PM »
Any way, I just got Church Audio CA-11 and ST-9100.

Front rows might be crazy ... so please help me decide where to go. Trying to move away from the screamers, where is better: centre or at side ? Point mics to the speakers if possible ? But I will keep an eye on the recorder, not to overload anything.
But however on 1 show I will be in first row and I dont think there will be much choice where to move. So i just point them in front?

Centre is your best bet for a good stereo image. For large arenas, I usually start FOB and move forward a bit until I find the sweet spot (ie before the crowd gets too close for comfort).
For bodymount or hatmounted mics, just try to get a halfdecent XY configuration, pointing the cards towards the stacks, Since you're not running an open stand, you won't have the precision for more advanced configurations anyway...

Offline avrilfan

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2008, 05:06:53 PM »
Thanks sunjan, I appriciate you help. Well I think I have luck because both  of my concerts are outside and I think that is better, isnt it ? I will see how the security and stuff will be there. I was first thinking of mounting the mics on my glasses, but will see. :)

Offline avrilfan

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2008, 01:52:33 PM »
Hi guys!
Its just another question that I have. My recorder offers 16-bit and 24-bit recording and 48kHz and 96kHz... Due to filesize limit of my recorder (2GB), I cant use 24-bit/96kHz due to show length.
So, the best options I can use are still these 2:
24bit / 48kHz
16bit / 96kHz
So, which one do you suggest me to use?
Next wednesday I will go record some show here. I will try different places during the opening bands, but when the main band comes, I will be in middle, back as far as the stage is wide, as suggested in some previous comment.
Then I will compare all positions and try to decide which one is the best. I might even put some audios here, you can judge them.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.118 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com