Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Milab DC-196  (Read 11792 times)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: Milab DC-196
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2008, 12:24:58 PM »
http://kbergend.tripod.com/milabs03.jpg
^^^^
On a dorky technical note I'll mention that due to the unusual rectangular shape of the capsule, the ideal orientation for the mid mic would be vertical.  The directional patterns of this mic should be more uniform as the frequency rises in the plane perpendicular to the mic body, with a sharper null, and sources located above and below the vertically oriented mic should be attenuated a bit more than would be the case with a typical round diaphragm fig-8. Another way to think about it is that directionally, this mic should behave like a small diaphragm mic in the horizontal plane and like a very large diaphragm mic in the vertical plane (with the mic oriented vertically).

It's similar in concept to the very wide wide but truncated top and bottom dispersion of a line-array speaker or a tweeter shaped like this-

That's a feature, not a bug and could be used to your advantage. ;)

Never having used or heard these myself, I have no idea how much of a difference orientation of the mic really makes.  I might not make much difference at all.  Just sayin'

I'll be recording some bluegrass next weekend, planning to try them out

BLUMLEIN!!!!!

I'd love to hear the BLUMLEIN!!!!! samples.  These mics are really intriguing.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline kbergend

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2008, 07:47:39 PM »
On a dorky technical note I'll mention that due to the unusual rectangular shape of the capsule, the ideal orientation for the mid mic would be vertical.  The directional patterns of this mic should be more uniform as the frequency rises in the plane perpendicular to the mic body, with a sharper null, and sources located above and below the vertically oriented mic should be attenuated a bit more than would be the case with a typical round diaphragm fig-8. Another way to think about it is that directionally, this mic should behave like a small diaphragm mic in the horizontal plane and like a very large diaphragm mic in the vertical plane (with the mic oriented vertically).

It's similar in concept to the very wide wide but truncated top and bottom dispersion of a line-array speaker or a tweeter shaped like this-

That's a feature, not a bug and could be used to your advantage. ;)

Never having used or heard these myself, I have no idea how much of a difference orientation of the mic really makes.  I might not make much difference at all.  Just sayin'

I'll be recording some bluegrass next weekend, planning to try them out

BLUMLEIN!!!!!

I'd love to hear the BLUMLEIN!!!!! samples.  These mics are really intriguing.

Thanks!  I knew about the differential in off-axis rejection in the two planes of the capsule, but it didn't even occur to me to mount the mid mic vertically.  I'll have to try that next time.  In this particular case, sadly, it probably would've done more harm than good since I had so much chatter on the left side of me on the balcony that I had to use the pull made with my other pair (AKG 483 pointed straight at the stacks) as the recording of record.  Webster Hall is a pretty awful place to tape.

Considerably better is Club Passim in Cambridge.  I tried running the mics Blumlein right in front of their stage last night for Session Americana's holiday shows. 

You can download a 24/48 sample from here:

http://kbergend.tripod.com/SantaClausIsComing.wav

Merry Christmas to me!  ;D  I really love the image, you can pretty much tell where everyone was sitting (at this point in the show there were 9 people having fun on that little stage). This source will be matrixed with the soundboard to bring out the vocals.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 10:13:20 AM by kbergend »
Keith from NY

Gefell M200/210, AKG 481/2/3, Milab DC-196 and VM-44 Link
Darktrain cables
Grace Lunatec V3, RME Fireface UFX
Tascam DR-680, Oade Concert R-44, Oade Concert PMD661, JoeCo BlackBox

Offline Teen Wolf Blitzer

• It's all ballbearings these days.
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • I am Rattus Norvegicus.
    • Support Festival Radio
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2008, 02:07:53 PM »
What's the cost on these for a pair?  They are calling me.   :)

Offline kbergend

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2008, 02:54:50 PM »
Got mine used, Full Compass has them listed for $1K each.

http://www.fullcompass.com/product/362414.html
Keith from NY

Darktrain cables

J.T.L

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2008, 03:17:20 PM »
>:D

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2008, 10:03:11 PM »

Blumleiniscious!

I dig these mics. The same vertical orientation deal applies to them in blumlein, though as mentioned above, I'm not sure how much it matters in reality. We all know that in the real world, particulars of the situation trump theoretical pattern optimization.  Arranging them vertically would certainly make for a taller setup than the one in your photo, though they'd be nearly as skinny as a bean pole.  I'd speculate that the potential audible issue to listen for of when arranging them horizontally in blumlein would be would be less high frequency information in the center of the sound stage.  You'd have to know the on stage arrangement to listen for that.. and maybe compare to a similar recording mic'd vertically. 

Any way you slice it these are nice mics. I'll be keeping my ear open for them.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2008, 11:13:08 PM »
these would be very sweet!

join Team Milab
here:  http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,114343.0.html

peaceful holidays to all
-- Ian
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline kbergend

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2008, 09:43:10 AM »

Blumleiniscious!

I dig these mics. The same vertical orientation deal applies to them in blumlein, though as mentioned above, I'm not sure how much it matters in reality. We all know that in the real world, particulars of the situation trump theoretical pattern optimization.  Arranging them vertically would certainly make for a taller setup than the one in your photo, though they'd be nearly as skinny as a bean pole.  I'd speculate that the potential audible issue to listen for of when arranging them horizontally in blumlein would be would be less high frequency information in the center of the sound stage.  You'd have to know the on stage arrangement to listen for that.. and maybe compare to a similar recording mic'd vertically. 

Skinny or not, mounting vertical in this case might indeed have caused some real world issues, since I only gained permission to tape these shows with the promise that I wouldn't obstruct any patrons' view.  The main reason I bought these mics rather than a less expensive pair of AT4050s is their unobtrusiveness.  At any rate, I have no complaints about the way this pull sounds with the mics horizontal!  But I will try them vertical when the opportunity presents itself. 
Keith from NY

Darktrain cables

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2008, 11:04:56 AM »
Do these ship new with shockmounts? Any thoughts on the Milab mount itself?  I'm sure the shockmounted capsule helps, but the mic mount doesn't look to offer much leeway. 

I sold my LDs a long time ago and said I'd stick with SDs, but these are sooo tempting.  Good thing I can't afford them right now.   :P
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant
aercomp2 ■ v2∞3 ■ sx-m2d2
d100 ■ pmd661 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline kbergend

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2008, 05:43:20 PM »
Do these ship new with shockmounts? Any thoughts on the Milab mount itself?  I'm sure the shockmounted capsule helps, but the mic mount doesn't look to offer much leeway. 

I sold my LDs a long time ago and said I'd stick with SDs, but these are sooo tempting.  Good thing I can't afford them right now.   :P

I think Milab sells stereo pairs in a wooden case including shock mounts (or used to, anyway), but I haven't seen the kit offered in the U.S.  The single mics come in a leatherette box with a standard mic clip and wind screen.  I wouldn't depend on the standard clip in most situations I tape in, the internal insulation notwithstanding.
Keith from NY

Darktrain cables

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com