Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Cardioid recommendations for stealthing  (Read 9879 times)

Offline colargol

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Regular
Cardioid recommendations for stealthing
« on: February 09, 2009, 03:07:49 PM »
Hi!

I've been taping with Core Sound Cardioids for years now, but would like to try something "better". A lot of people on TS seem to prefer Schoeps mics, and I'm considering this, but I would like to hear if there are other, more affordable mics out there that would increase the quality of my recordings. So, basically, any ideas for cardioid mics that would:

• be small enough to work in a lot of stealth situations
  • not require a whole load of batteries for every show
  • cost somewhere between usd250 and usd 2000 for a pair
  • not overload easily, but work well for not-so-loud shows too
  • preferably not need phantom power, or otherwise work easily with edirol r-09 or similar

Any help appreciated...

-Colargol
MK4s/MK41s > nbob actives > tinybox/babynbox > M10/A10

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Cardioid recommendations for stealthing
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 04:28:18 PM »
You can find DPA 402x sets on ebay occasionally for around $2500.  That is if you mostly stealth.

Hi!

I've been taping with Core Sound Cardioids for years now, but would like to try something "better". A lot of people on TS seem to prefer Schoeps mics, and I'm considering this, but I would like to hear if there are other, more affordable mics out there that would increase the quality of my recordings. So, basically, any ideas for cardioid mics that would:

• be small enough to work in a lot of stealth situations
  • not require a whole load of batteries for every show
  • cost somewhere between usd250 and usd 2000 for a pair
  • not overload easily, but work well for not-so-loud shows too
  • preferably not need phantom power, or otherwise work easily with edirol r-09 or similar

Any help appreciated...

-Colargol

Offline (Evan)

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 04:41:35 PM »
Just wondering...how exactly do you stealth with those DPA compacts? Where do you put them?

Offline schoepsnbox

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Nbox...........Zero's and One's
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 05:05:21 PM »
MK4>Nbox  ;D

Offline Dede2002

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 05:10:17 PM »
In the $ 250 field, I have to say HLSC-1 (Sennheiser/Microphone Madness). Fits all your needs. ;)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 05:39:46 PM by Dede2002 »
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline edtyre

• Trade Count: (85)
  • Team Philly " No Excuses, Just Tapes"
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 05:25:34 PM »
BEST mk4>nbox or dpa 4023>aerco

The best sound i captured before i moved on to schoeps
was with the at853rx>phantom adapters>aerco (way under 1000 used)
or a ps2 instead of aerco for just loud rock shows (under 500)

« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 05:30:17 PM by edtyre »
music>mics>pre>recorder

Offline Sunday Driver

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009, 06:33:01 PM »
In the $ 250 field, I have to say HLSC-1 (Sennheiser/Microphone Madness). Fits all your needs. ;)

I don't know about that- I thought about getting some mke40s, but I think the mics are more geared towards vocal pick-up with a lot of midrange bass, but very little "low" bass. The mids sound very warm, and they may be slightly more detailed than the AT 853s, but that lack of low bass turned me off. The U853s are much more balanced, but they do lack some depth and detail compared to higher end mics like the Schoeps mk4. I've come to realize that when you deal with mics that are less than $300, they all seem to have their individual shortcomings.

Another pre-Schoeps option is some MBHO actives, which could be stealthed with some thought.
You either record it or it's gone forever.
My Tapes

Offline shaggy

• Taperssection All-Star
    • dwonk
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2009, 06:46:20 PM »
I know you want recs outside of Schoeps but let me tell you, I thought alot about this over the years; nothing beats a pair of mk4vs for the said situation.  All other options will leave you with some sort of mechanical contact issue with your head (except the DPA 4021s).

Offline Dede2002

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2009, 01:06:32 PM »

I've come to realize that when you deal with mics that are less than $300, they all seem to have their individual shortcomings.

I have to agree.
They all have their issues.
I don't find the MKE40 (HLSC-1) to be light on the bass side. Not earthshaking bass, but no light ( to my ears). Considering the fact that most amplified live music tends to present a criminal amount of bass, that's not a bad thing really.
Take care
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline nicegrin

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2009, 08:04:37 PM »
For about 250 dollars I´d strongly suggest a pair of AT 853s or 943s.
If you stealth and want clean and nice sounding recordings I´d reccomend the hypercapsules.
Don´t forget to add low sens mod for louder stuff.
Good luck!

Toy Box:

MICS:

Omnis:  6xNevaton MCE400s, Countryman b3s (modded), MM HLSOs (4.7K mod), Aevox in ear MK2s, CA-11s
Cards:   Schoeps MK4s with Schoeps CMRS, Milab VM-44 Links, SP CMC-8,  AT853, Sennheiser MKE 104, MM HLSC-1s, ECM-717
Hypers: AKG CK93s (modded), SP CMC-8, AT853, Audix 1280s (Church actives).

INBETWEEN: Naiant Tinybox (CMR mod), Naiant Tinybox (p48 mod), Naiant PFA, CA-9100, CA Ugly, Denecke PS-2 mini, MM-MBM, MM-CBM, SP SPSB-8, custom nuetrik XLR to TRS cables, 5 pin to 5 pin extension cable. 

DECKS: A10, M10, R05, Tascam DR-05, R09-HR , MT2, Sharp MS-H702, MZ-R 70.

Offline colargol

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2009, 11:50:09 AM »
Hi!

Thanks everyone for good advice... My nbox is ordered, so I'm heading towards the nbox team, I suppose :-)

-C
MK4s/MK41s > nbob actives > tinybox/babynbox > M10/A10

Offline Ekib

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2009, 12:34:48 PM »
Keep your Core-Sound's. You will only regret trying to find something better . I know people who did and spent an awful lot of money and really , it didn't sound better...but worse.
I have heard the MM Highline and they're a joke compared to Core Sound Stealthy Cardiod. They have way too much bass . The biggest problem for example at rockshows are the double bassdrums. Core Sound picks those perfect.

They're my favourite mic's ever...and I will NEVER change them.
But I have to say, I don’t mind it. I do object when I see people sticking microphones up my nose, in the front row. If I see anyone doing that [laughs] I’m going to have security remove them. Because that’s just obnoxious. But I don’t mind if people come and discreetly at the back make a recording of it. And I know that it’s just for their own use, for the superfan.
(Steven Wilson , interview http://blog.musoscribe.com/index.php/2011/01/25/interview-steven-wilson-on-audience-taping/ )

Offline heyitsmejess

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2009, 12:50:10 PM »
church audio ca-14.
under your budget, but great sounding mics
cause we zig and zag between good and bad
stumble and fall on right and wrong

http://www.rumpkemountainboys.org/

Offline Ekib

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2009, 01:08:19 PM »
church audio ca-14.
under your budget, but great sounding mics

Heard good things about those indeed !
But I haven't heard a recording so far.
But I have to say, I don’t mind it. I do object when I see people sticking microphones up my nose, in the front row. If I see anyone doing that [laughs] I’m going to have security remove them. Because that’s just obnoxious. But I don’t mind if people come and discreetly at the back make a recording of it. And I know that it’s just for their own use, for the superfan.
(Steven Wilson , interview http://blog.musoscribe.com/index.php/2011/01/25/interview-steven-wilson-on-audience-taping/ )

Offline Belexes

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2009, 01:42:25 PM »
Keep your Core-Sound's. You will only regret trying to find something better . I know people who did and spent an awful lot of money and really , it didn't sound better...but worse.
I have heard the MM Highline and they're a joke compared to Core Sound Stealthy Cardiod. They have way too much bass . The biggest problem for example at rockshows are the double bassdrums. Core Sound picks those perfect.

I have owned or do own the CSB's, MM's (card), AT943's, AT853's, CA-14's.

CSB's were a good mic and it seemed when I got them in the mid-90s that it was the go-to mic for about $250 that everyone seemed to flock towards.  I wanted to try the Sonic Sense DSM's, but didn't have the $. In 2004 I moved to the AT series and have not regretted it one bit and for my setup saw improved stealth recordings.  Now I am on a Church Audio kick with the CA-14's.  I don't think I'll ever go back to the CoreSounds.  Good mics for a time, but a wealth more of  and IMHO better choices on the market.

You stated that the MM's had too much bass. Do you mean the omni's?  Some people here have complained there was not enough bass response for the cardioid, but that wasn't my experience all.  I found the MM's to have a lot of detail with that Sennheiser sound.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.123 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com