Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: cheap and cheerful stealth microphones  (Read 12761 times)

Offline mrblister

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: cheap and cheerful stealth microphones
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2009, 07:38:28 AM »
I am indeed saying the internal mics out-perform the CA11s....ofcourse that's only my ears view

If you like I can put up some samples somewhere. 

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2009, 07:43:57 AM »
Your ca-11's are all you need. Practice placement at a show where it's ok to tape, something you wouldn't be at otherwise and then move your mics around the room in like 5 minute intervals....
Omni caps for your ca-11's are sweet as well.
Joe

Maybe you should look into the powering in that case. I don't know what voltage DR07 provides plug-in, but most mics require a battery box (or even better - preamp) for adequate voltage.

With proper placement and powering, CA-11 should be way better than any internal mics.
Search the archive for sources, there's plenty of proof out there...

I agree with Joe and sunjan-the CA-11's sound great. However, and Chris Church can answer this definitively, I believe I read a post from Chris that said the CA-11's require 5 volts plug in power to function optimally. If this is true, all you need to do is to order a small battery box to power the mics and you're all set. I know your mini-disc isn't providing 5 volts and there's a good chance your DR07 isn't either. If the CA-11'a are not receiving 5 volts, there's a good chance that's what's causing the muffled sound.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 08:55:26 AM by fmaderjr »
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline setboy

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2009, 08:41:49 AM »
Look into www.naiant.com. They might be a little bit bigger, but they might be whwat you are looking for.

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2009, 10:35:37 AM »
All I'm after is a mic of similar quality to the Tascam DR07  inbuilt  but that is small / clippable and cheapish.

By cheap I mean less than £50.  Again, I'm not after top end hi-fi quality just something to get an audio memory that easy to manage.  The CA11s don't give me that - they require much more post production than the diagrams in the link above. 

Are you saying that you get worse results with CA-11 than the DR07 built-in mics???  ::)

Maybe you should look into the powering in that case. I don't know what voltage DR07 provides plug-in, but most mics require a battery box (or even better - preamp) for adequate voltage.

With proper placement and powering, CA-11 should be way better than any internal mics.
Search the archive for sources, there's plenty of proof out there...

if your are using my mics with out a battery box or a preamp with the dr that might be part of the problem. the dr's built in mics are omni not cardioid like the ca-11 so you cant really compare the two it really sounds like you would have been better off with omni mics then cards. For the taping you do i would be happy to send you a pair to try for free.

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline taperwheeler

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2009, 11:08:37 AM »
If you're happy with and prefer the tascam's built-in's, why even bother adding externals? 
Mics: SP-CMC-8 AT933 Body 4.7K mod AT853 (c, sc) U853 (h) Microline Shotguns
Pres: CA 9100, SP-Preamp
Recorders: MT2 , Tascam DR-07, PCM-M10, PCM A10

Offline SparkE!

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2009, 11:14:13 AM »

For the taping you do i would be happy to send you a pair to try for free.

Chris

Fixed that for you.  I'm sure Chris is not offering free mics.  It's the ability to try them that is free. (He'd loan you a set of mics.)
How'm I supposed to read your lips when you're talkin' out your ass? - Lern Tilton

Ignorance in audio is exceeded only by our collective willingness to embrace and foster it. -  Srajan Ebaen

Offline bugg100

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2009, 07:02:06 PM »
I am indeed saying the internal mics out-perform the CA11s....ofcourse that's only my ears view

If you like I can put up some samples somewhere. 
Can we hear some short high bitrate mp3 samples? And are the samples from the same show and same placement? If they are same show and placement, then the diffrences of omni vs. cardiod can be understood and your woes troubleshot more easily.

Thanks.

Offline mrblister

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2009, 02:59:10 AM »
Look into www.naiant.com. They might be a little bit bigger, but they might be whwat you are looking for.

That looks really interesting and is possibly exactly what I was looking for..thank you...wish it was in Europe though.

Thanks for all the interesting responses - I think it possibly is a combination of not getting enough voltage and positioning...I will keep experimenting with them ( maybe purchase a power supply) Im determined to get it right

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2009, 04:03:58 AM »

That looks really interesting and is possibly exactly what I was looking for..thank you...wish it was in Europe though.

Thanks for all the interesting responses - I think it possibly is a combination of not getting enough voltage and positioning...I will keep experimenting with them ( maybe purchase a power supply) Im determined to get it right
[/quote

My offer still stands..

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline bugg100

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2009, 04:07:30 AM »
Chris Church can sell you a power supply (battery box) for around 30US$, I think.

If you or a friend has a cheap multimeter, you can measure the Plug-In-Power voltage by plugging in a  male to male cable. Putting the positive lead on the tip and then ring of this cable all while putting the negative lead on the ground or "sleeve" of the TRS cable (tip, ring, sleeve). Read the voltage there....  Church stuff needs 5 volts, some recorders only put out 2.5 or so.  

If this is already 5 or greater, a battery box will not help you.

mshilarious is his username on this forum...  Fairly active, he currently has a thread in the preamp forum. (A balanced XLR input pre so not applicable here...)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 04:11:50 AM by bugg100 »

Offline Humbug

• Humbug Hum Rejection Unit
    • Trading site
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2009, 05:44:21 AM »
I can lend you a Sound Professionals 9V 2-wire battery box (SP-SPSB1) if you want for a couple of weeks.

I'm in the UK.

Just check it's compatible with Chris's mics.

This ruddy battery box has been all over the UK in it's 7 years, and is indestructible. Not saying Chris's isn't the same.. ;D
UK based taper: MK4>Nbox Platinum>PCM-M10
AT853C>CA9200 / PIPsqueak>Tascam DR-2D

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Humbug66

Offline sunjan

• Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2009, 06:16:42 AM »
If you or a friend has a cheap multimeter, you can measure the Plug-In-Power voltage by plugging in a  male to male cable. Putting the positive lead on the tip and then ring of this cable all while putting the negative lead on the ground or "sleeve" of the TRS cable (tip, ring, sleeve). Read the voltage there....  Church stuff needs 5 volts, some recorders only put out 2.5 or so.  

If this is already 5 or greater, a battery box will not help you.

I dropped a mail to Tascam (the PIP is not mentioned in the specs!) and they tell me that DR-07 provides 5.4V to the mic.
This is in the same range as R-09HR, so theoretically it should be sufficient, unless you're taping very loud shows.

Maybe the internal gain is to blame for the poor results with the CA-11? I'm pretty sure the built-in omnis are more sensitive, which means they don't require as much gain. This skews the comparison, which Chris pointed out.

The OP would benefit from an external preamp like the CA-9100, no doubt.
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline carpa

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2009, 11:45:20 AM »
I think that Edirol R09HR puts out a barely 3v as PIP. I mean, I didn't think it but read it somewhere on  the web, don't remember.
If someone has more precise information, please tell.
c

Offline sunjan

• Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2009, 05:41:32 PM »
I think that Edirol R09HR puts out a barely 3v as PIP.

5V, which attribute to its success with plug-in mics:
http://emusician.com/daw/review-edirolr-hr/

Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline carpa

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2009, 02:21:09 AM »
here's where I found the 3v stuff.  http://www.wildlife-sound.org/equipment/recorders/edirolr09hr/index.html

Plug-In-Power

Open-circuit voltage = 3V

Source resistance [1] = 2.3k

c

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.098 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com