Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Please help me understand/apply "stereophonic zoom"  (Read 17481 times)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: Please help me understand/apply "stereophonic zoom"
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2009, 12:55:36 PM »
Datbrad posed while I was typing so some of this may be covered already. After skimming his post, one thing I want to clarify is that cardioid mics in a 90 degree X/Y configuration have a SRA of 180 degrees.    If you undertand the Stereo Zoom concept, you'll begin to recognize why it is that with a 180 degree SRA, the center of the playback image seems very solid and mostly mono- as an example: if all the musicians are within a 90 degree angle as seen from the mics, then that 180 SRA will squeeze those sources into the very center between the speakers on playback (and also squeeze everything that is 45 degrees on either side of the musicians into the playback stage between the speakers as well). 

I disagree with the blanket statement that 90 degree XY (using cardioids, I'm asuming) is the 'most accurate in relicating the soundstage'.  I listened to another recordist's 12" spaced hypercardioids that were arranged pointing straight ahead from the section this past weekend and there is certainly no 'hole in the middle', in fact there was is barely any stereo information at all.

If I am always recording open with a pair of cardioid condenser mics and recording things without a P.A.  (live jazz, acoustic bands etc..) and I don't want to do too much calculation but like the results I get with ORTF and similar things, can you get good even stereo imaging by just keeping mics around 6-8 inches apart and modifying ORTF spread to keep the band outer players just inside of where the mics are aimed?

Pragmatically speaking, if your recordings work well using ORTF then why change?  If you like the sound you are getting with a certain setup such as ORTF, then to keep a similar recording angle you'd need to change both spacing and angle at the same time.

There is nothing wrong with using the Point Mics At Stacks configuration, but when trying to understand the Stereo Zoom, an important thing to get away from conceptually is the idea of pointing the mics at the sound to adjust the recording angle.  Except for a few special cases, the recording angle and mic angle usually are not the same at all.  Think of the angle and spacing between mics as being inseparably related so that the two together determine the recording angle - you can't change one without affecting the other.  The angle and spacing are inversely related- you can use more angle with less spacing, or less angle with more spacing for the same recording angle.

You might think of using the Stereo Zoom idea to adjust the playback width of the primary things being recorded (the Stereo Recording Angle) while also allowing some control over the sound picked up from the rest of the room.  Consider which direction you are pointing the reduced sensitivity regions of your directional mics.  You can choose a setup that points those regions of your stereo pair in such a way as to reduce the slap-back of the back wall or whatever.  That is similar to what Datbrad mentions above about the direct to reflected sound ratio.

And, if I understand some of the above posts, the more overlap of information between the what the two mics are picking up, the more center heavy the resulting stereo image will be.  The less overlap, the more ping pong (sound clustered around the speakers) with a hole in the middle the stereo image will be.  Is that basically it?

Yes, basically. Stereo is striking a fine balance between enough similarity and difference between channels. You need some of both.

One last thing.  I intuitively run my mics spaced 6-8 inches and crossed (toed in) rather than ORTF when there are close sidewalls or a P.A. that will make a natural stereo image hard to achieve.  Does this make any sense?

Really only matters where the caps are pointed and spacing between them, the mic bodies are just along for the ride. Setting up narrow spacings with wide mic angles like ORTF often mean the mic bodies need to be arranged with one crossing one over the other to get the angle and spacing between caps correct.  But the mic caps should always point to their own  side.  You don’t want the mic capsule on the left side pointing right and vise versa.  In that case the spacing information and mic angle information would be in conflict with each other.

Hope that helps and doesn’t just make things more confusing with extra words.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2009, 03:02:53 PM »
FWIW, I think the concept is not very easy to understand.  I've read the SZ article 7 or 8 times now and feel like I 'get it' more and more each time I read it.

What I agree with most in this thread is that the value of the SZ article lies in understanding how mic pairs work together in determining the Stereo Recording Angle (SRA) and using that information to optimize the situation at hand, whatever that may be. 

In that respect, it's similar to having an arsenal of capsules...changing patterns and using the SZ concepts are both 'tools' in the bag of tricks we have available to us to achieve a desired end result.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 03:04:46 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline datbrad

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2009, 03:06:06 PM »
Datbrad posed while I was typing so some of this may be covered already. After skimming his post, one thing I want to clarify is that cardioid mics in a 90 degree X/Y configuration have a SRA of 180 degrees.    If you undertand the Stereo Zoom concept, you'll begin to recognize why it is that with a 180 degree SRA, the center of the playback image seems very solid and mostly mono- as an example: if all the musicians are within a 90 degree angle as seen from the mics, then that 180 SRA will squeeze those sources into the very center between the speakers on playback (and also squeeze everything that is 45 degrees on either side of the musicians into the playback stage between the speakers as well). 

I disagree with the blanket statement that 90 degree XY (using cardioids, I'm asuming) is the 'most accurate in relicating the soundstage'.  I listened to another recordist's 12" spaced hypercardioids that were arranged pointing straight ahead from the section this past weekend and there is certainly no 'hole in the middle', in fact there was is barely any stereo information at all.

[

Just to clarify my understanding of coincident stereo patterns is that XY, where there is no spacing of the capsules in the horizontal plane, provides the most accurate replication of placement of sounds within the field between channels on playback. Near coincident, like DIN, allows for enough channel delay to add some sense of separation, which is very good for recording off a PA from a distance.

Recording with a pair of XY cards at 90 degrees setup around 8' from a group of musicians standing on a 20' line across the front of the stage, (piano on the right, drum kit on the left, horn player in the middle) would replicate exactly the same soundstage heard live from the same position.

The three instruments would be within the theoretical 180 SRA, and should therefore sound all mashed together in the middle of the image, based on this interpretation of stereo zoom. In practice, this is not what happens. Using the example I gave, the piano would be heard through both mics, but being closer to the axis of the left mic, would be slightly louder on that side. The drum kit would be the same for the right side. Only the horn player in the center would also be heard as being in the center of the recorded image.

I have made on stage XY recordings where on playback you can hear the drummer clearly rolling across the toms from side to side, all while the high hat is ticking away off to the right of his kit, just as it sounded from the audience up front at the show. With the same mics setup as a 12" split A-B in parallel, it would be basically mono as you stated, with all sounds equally produced by both mics.
AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Beyer M201>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD561 (Oade CMOD)

stevetoney

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2009, 04:03:26 PM »
I'm not sure I agree that one technique is more accurate than another in replication of sound placement.  Regardless, what helps me to understand the differences in X/Y coincident versus spaced patterns is that, in X/Y the stereo image is created by difference in sound pressure, while in spaced patterns the stereo image is created by timing differences...or delay caused by the fact that sound reaches one mic at a different time than the other.

In the SZ article, this is captured in secton 1.2 which says...

...localization of a sound source between the loudspeakers is obtained:

- by varying the intensity ratio between the two loudspeakers
- or by creating a time difference between them
- or by a combination of both intensity and time difference.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 04:08:48 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline datbrad

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2009, 04:23:20 PM »
I'm not sure I agree that one technique is more accurate than another in replication of sound placement.  Regardless, what helps me to understand the differences in X/Y coincident versus spaced patterns is that, in X/Y the stereo image is created by difference in sound pressure, while in spaced patterns the stereo image is created by timing differences...or delay caused by the fact that sound reaches one mic at a different time than the other.

This is exactly correct. To clarify what I meant about accuracy, while the pure coincident XY is the most clinically accurate in terms of soundstage replication, it is not the most natural compared to near coincident (DIN, ORTF) where the time delay between the ears is also replicated.

I think where things get tough for some tapers is when we want the mics to do something beyond simply replicating the image at the placement location of the mics. This is where the art of recording with mics comes in. Using unconventional placement, patterns, etc. you can make a recording that sounds better than the soundstage did live at the same location in the room, and you really have to develop the ability to "see" what the mics will "hear" and know how to manipulate them to give you the results you are seeking. Experience is really the only teacher for this skill, though.....
AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Beyer M201>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD561 (Oade CMOD)

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2009, 04:43:50 PM »

This is exactly correct. To clarify what I meant about accuracy, while the pure coincident XY is the most clinically accurate in terms of soundstage replication, it is not the most natural compared to near coincident (DIN, ORTF) where the time delay between the ears is also replicated.

I think where things get tough for some tapers is when we want the mics to do something beyond simply replicating the image at the placement location of the mics. This is where the art of recording with mics comes in. Using unconventional placement, patterns, etc. you can make a recording that sounds better than the soundstage did live at the same location in the room, and you really have to develop the ability to "see" what the mics will "hear" and know how to manipulate them to give you the results you are seeking. Experience is really the only teacher for this skill, though.....
I agree with this.

I would say, in order of preference, we (tapers) go:
1. make sure everything can be heard (ie., don't lose the PA by going too close to the speakers).
2. next, get a nice sounding recording
3. finally, if permitted, get a realistic soundstage.

So, if you need to place one mic in front of each PA speaker to get good sound, you can reach item #2, but not necessarily item #3.

Finally, *for me*, making a nice sounding recording usually means spacing the mics (near coincident).  Using coincident techniques *throws away* phase information.  I feel this should be included as the recording sounds more realistic with the phase left in.  It may not be a great soundstage, but it hits item #2 in sounding "natural" at least.  Coincident is not a big deal, but I find that near coincident general sounds better than coincident.

Richard
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 04:46:04 PM by illconditioned »
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline mdogbucket

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2009, 05:41:18 PM »
Thanks for the detailed discussion, it is helpful.

But back to advice for Dummies.  In my case I'm always doing near coincident with the mics approximately 6 or 7 inches apart.  Let's say I don't change that at all.  Now you are recording a quartet (no P.A.) and you can choose to be very close to them or a little further away, and you can also decide to do 110 degrees, 90, 80 etc...

Given the theory of the stereophonic zoom, can you get good predictable results by just using a standard spacing of 6-7 inches and aiming the mics such that the band just barely fits (or comfortably fits) in the angle?  Are there times where you might want to have players at the left and right extreme of the stage lined up outside the mic angle?

Also, I guess criss-crossing the mics at 90 to 110 degrees (toeing them in rather than out) is a bad idea, but I've done it several times in rooms with closer side walls and gotten decent results.  Maybe that just shows that you can get away with quite a bit.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2009, 07:41:53 PM »
Given the theory of the stereophonic zoom, can you get good predictable results by just using a standard spacing of 6-7 inches and aiming the mics such that the band just barely fits (or comfortably fits) in the angle?
No.

Are there times where you might want to have players at the left and right extreme of the stage lined up outside the mic angle?
Yes.. see my next post.

Also, I guess criss-crossing the mics at 90 to 110 degrees (toeing them in rather than out) is a bad idea, but I've done it several times in rooms with closer side walls and gotten decent results.  Maybe that just shows that you can get away with quite a bit.
Yep. No hard-fast rules.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2009, 07:44:44 PM »
Watchout, I'm gettin' wordy..

Tonedeaf makes some very good points.  I especially like the 'just another tool in the kit' mentality to using the Stereo Zoom. He also makes good points about the difficulty in wrapping your head around how it works, the ways in which a sound source is localized, and also in raising the question 'what is accurate'?

I'd like to emphasize that all of this is all somewhat fuzzy, none of it is hard-fast, especially the accuracy part.   Do we mean accurate sounding as in 'you are there'?, accurate in that you can point your finger in the direction of a sound and you would be pointing the same way you would have at the event?, accurate in the placement of the reverberant information on the recording, accurate in the feeling of space?, accurate timbre?, accurate dynamics?, accurate recording of the banal bar chatter?...

Recording and playback is always an illusion.  We simply cannot get anywhere close to accurately reproducing the actual acoustic event with our simple equipment.  I find it down right incredible that our brains are so easily fooled and that we can so easily suspend disbelief at will.  Video and film is even more of a suspension of disbelief with rapid, flickering still images on a small rectangular screen.   When you think about that, it becomes hard to believe it works at all, much less that it is able to suck us in so completely.

Some illusions are more convincing than others and as Datbrad mentions some illusions are even better than reality, which is especially rewarding for the recording maker.  That, to me, is what elevates recording to art, beyond mere mastery of the technical craft. We can play around with trading one illusory part for another until we are best satisfied with the best resulting illusion, then make a personal mental list of what we consider most important for achiving it, like Richard has.

To clarify what I meant about accuracy, while the pure coincident XY is the most clinically accurate in terms of soundstage replication, it is not the most natural compared to near coincident (DIN, ORTF) where the time delay between the ears is also replicated. 

I don't mean to badger the point, but I’ll touch on this again because it falls into both the what is accuracy, really? category and the no hard-fast rules, but fuzzy world.

Excluding the possibility of ranking 'naturalness of sound' above directional pin-point reproduction in achieving the 'most accurate' recording in that personal artistic sense, certain coincident, amplitude-only X/Y techniques can often be best at the ‘point-your-finger-at-the-sound-source’ aspect of reproduction accuracy which is the aspect which I think Datbrad is stressing. The Blumlein technique (90 degree crossed figure 8’s) is especially accurate in that sense for the front 90 degree quadrant directly in front of the mics.  It is also one of the special cases where the angle formed between the two mics really is just about the same as the Stereo Recording Angle.  Yet Blumlein certainly is not accurate in the same way for the other 270 degrees around the mics, even though it can create a particularly satisfying illusion. Angular distortion is covered in section 4.1 of the SZ.

In the example you give:
Recording with a pair of XY cards at 90 degrees setup around 8' from a group of musicians standing on a 20' line across the front of the stage, (piano on the right, drum kit on the left, horn player in the middle) would replicate exactly the same soundstage heard live from the same position.

If my trigonometry isn’t too rusty, the musicians in the example above form an angle of just over 100 degrees as seen from the microphone position.  To “replicate exactly the same soundstage heard live from the same position” would require a playback image with the piano 50+ degrees over to the right and the farthest part of the drum kit 50+ degrees left.  That clearly isn’t possible using two stereo speakers arranged a total of 60 degrees apart as seen from the listening position.  If we forget absolute angular accuracy and allow for an even angular compression of the recorded image to fit the whole 100 degrees into the available 60, then the relative positions of the piano, horn and kit will be pretty accurate in relation to each other.  Yet there will still be a significant amount of angular distortion for any source that is located halfway right between the horn and drums or halfway left between the horn and piano.  If you believe the Stereo Zoom charts, that angular distortion will push those mid-way sounds 6 degrees closer to the speakers than they should be.  Would other configurations be more angularly accurate, yes.. and others such as spaced omnis would be worse. See page 14 for that exact example (X/Y cards at +/- 45 degrees and their 6 degrees of angular distortion).

Is that a deal breaker? Probably not.  To quote the Stereo Zoom directly:

"It should be said however, that it is not obligatory
for the SRA to be equal to the angle occupied by
the sound source. Most sound recording engineers
in fact prefer the SRA to be slightly larger
than the sound source sector. This is equivalent
to leaving a little headroom in a picture or more
correctly in this case "sideroom" in the sound
image. The amount of sideroom is obviously a
matter of individual judgement, but is rarely
more than about 10° for a small group of musicians.
On the other hand, in the case of a much
larger orchestra it is quite often necessary to do
the opposite and place the limits of the SRA
within the orchestra (negative sideroom), the left
limit being within the first violins, the right limit
within the double basses. This allows more
space for the individual instruments (flute, clarinet,
oboe, etc…) in the middle of the orchestra.   
But this is a question of individual preference,
and there are as many different choices as
there are sound recording engineers!"

In my own personal list of trade-offs, the sense of depth and space is usually more important for me than pin-point imaging.  That’s one reason I now almost exclusively record in 4 channel surround for my own listening. I love hearing the room around me and the crowd behind. It just makes the illusion much more real for me.  Yet, like I mentioned above, nothing is hard-fast.  I still want to hear angular source information too and I’ve learned that I can still get very good spacial imaging with spaced techniques if I do it right. I’ve made spaced omni, stage lip recordings where tom rolls across the drum kit move convincingly across the playback stage and you can point out the high-hat on the right of the kit and the crash cymbal on the left.

Truth.  Thanks for the great discussion.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 03:50:56 PM by Gutbucket »

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2009, 08:05:09 PM »
I checked the Stereo Zoom to get the angular distortion info above and just skimmed through again as a refresher.  I get new insights each time I read it too.  I need to read section 4.2 a few more times- Variation of the ratio of direct to reverberant sound within the Stereophonic Recording Angle.  Which I've never put much thought to.

This time though I also noticed that in section 5, Williams makes a list of things to consider when picking a configuration which is pretty much the same as as Richard's.

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2009, 08:36:57 PM »
I checked the Stereo Zoom to get the angular distortion info above and just skimmed through again as a refresher.  I get new insights each time I read it too.  I need to read section 4.2 a few more times- Variation of the ratio of direct to reverberant sound within the Stereophonic Recording Angle.  Which I've never put much thought to.

This time though I also noticed that in section 5, Williams makes a list of things to consider when picking a configuration which is pretty much the same as as Richard's.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, my point #2 "nice sounding recording" means also reducing reverberant sound if possible, even at the expense of a less realistic image.  Hence putting mics spaced way apart, one in front of each speaker is OK here :).

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline mosquito

• Taperssection Regular
  • I am the Bug!
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2009, 10:05:54 AM »
Hmm... a bunch of posts between when I looked at this and now.  I'm gonna post this anyway and may edit it or post again later.

<Edited for a couple of number mistakes.>

--

My limited interpretations notwithstanding (and with no desire for religious wars) ...

So....to help dummies like me:

If I am always recording open with a pair of cardioid condenser mics and recording things without a P.A.  (live jazz, acoustic bands etc..) and I don't want to do too much calculation but like the results I get with ORTF and similar things, can you get good even stereo imaging by just keeping mics around 6-8 inches apart and modifying ORTF spread to keep the band outer players just inside of where the mics are aimed?

Short reply:

If the sound from your bands are within ±45° to ±55°-ish don't worry about it; it's all pretty close.  Do ORTF or DIN or something close to them.  If the bands are wider, use less mic angle and / or distance.  If they're narrower, use more mic angle and / or distance.

Probably too long reply:

If you're only using cards and staying within the 'ORTF - DIN square', i.e. 17 cm - 20 cm (~ 6.5 in. - 8 in.) and 110° - 90° between-mic angle with a direct sound angle from ±45° to ±55°-ish, you're going to get decent stereo imaging.  Assuming you can't do much in the way of changing the stand position to attenuate ambient sounds, your main tool is choosing smaller between-mic angles (down to your 90°) with larger separation between the diaphragms to compensate (up to your 8 in.)  Note that in the SZ chart for cards with an SRA of ±50° the difference in angular distortion between ORTF and DIN is only about half a degree. 

If you point your cards out to the outside musicians you're going to need to change the separation a lot more than the 6 - 8 in., like:

SRA -- mics -- dist
±30° -- 60° -- 55 cm (21.5 in.)   
±40° -- 80° -- 32 cm (12.5 in.)   
±50° -- 100° -- 18 cm (7 in.)   
±60° -- 120° -- 6 cm (2.5 in.)   

If you don't do that 'narrow bands' will sound 'mono-ish' and 'wide bands' will sound 'ping-pongy'.  (If those weren't technical terms, they are now. ;o)

And, if I understand some of the above posts, the more overlap of information between the what the two mics are picking up, the more center heavy the resulting stereo image will be.  The less overlap, the more ping pong (sound clustered around the speakers) with a hole in the middle the stereo image will be.  Is that basically it?

Kinda, but not just that exactly.  Yes, the more similar what each one in the pair of mics gets, the more 'mono-ish' the recording.  Also they're saying (with directional mics) the more the recording is either 'mono-ish' or 'ping-pongy' the more it'll have reverberant sound in it *and that that is predictable*.

My lessons from the Stereo Zoom article are

1) For a given situation / band / hall / stand location, there's a range of good setups that will sound pretty similar.
2) More mic angle <<-->> less distance for nearly the same stereo image (and vice versa).
3) XY, near-coincident with directionals, and AB all really work on the same basic principles.
4) I can roughly but confidently translate between those techniques to choose the best mic / cap for what I hear at my stand location.
5) Stand location and mic / cap choice are much more important than near-coincident angle and distance (as long as those are reasonable) because I can adjust them.

One last thing.  I intuitively run my mics spaced 6-8 inches and crossed (toed in) rather than ORTF when there are close sidewalls or a P.A. that will make a natural stereo image hard to achieve.  Does this make any sense?

Thanks.

You mean like the attached image?  How does it sound?  Is mic A left or right?  It gets sounds from the left before mic B, but they'll be off-axis and have lower levels, don't they?  Have you compared with like a 120° XY setup or, say, a 110° and as-far-apart-as-you-can-get-them setup?  Without having tried it, I'd guess I'd like the 120° XY the best.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 07:47:51 PM by mosquito »

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2009, 12:25:52 AM »
A "toed-in"/spaced apart setup isn't a very good choice from the standpoint of stereo imaging. The arrival-time cues always conflict to some extent with the relative loudness cues, since the microphone that's pointing in each direction is always the one that's farther from the direct sound sources on that side.

For coincident recording, of course, this criticism doesn't apply, and for microphones that are very close together, it applies less than it does for microphones that are farther apart. But it's still up there (along with coincident cardioids that are angled only 90 degrees apart) among the bad ideas perpetuated in print and on the Internet.

--best regards
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

stevetoney

« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2009, 02:26:25 PM »
A "toed-in"/spaced apart setup isn't a very good choice from the standpoint of stereo imaging. The arrival-time cues always conflict to some extent with the relative loudness cues, since the microphone that's pointing in each direction is always the one that's farther from the direct sound sources on that side.

That would be kinda like extracting your ears, lengthening the nerves that connect them, and swapping them so your left ear is hearing from the right side of your head and vice versa. 
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 02:57:21 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline topdog

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2010, 11:36:40 PM »

The best imaging technique might be different if you are listenign to stereo (two) speakers or headphones. In the excerpt from an article below Blumlein believed that the time differences in non-coincident microphone configurations would interfere with the time differences generated by the two playback speakers and reduce the accuracy of the image.

Excerpt taken from the article "Stereo Microphone Techniques Explained"
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/1997_articles/feb97/stereomiking.html

Blumlein developed coincident techniques to overcome the inherent deficiencies (as he saw them) of the spaced microphone systems being developed in America. Since our hearing mechanism relies heavily on timing information, Dr Harvey Fletcher thought it reasonable to use microphones to capture similar timing differences, and that is exactly what the spaced microphone system does. However, when sound is replayed over loudspeakers, both ears hear both speakers, so we actually receive a very complex pattern of timing differences, involving the real timing differences from each speaker to both ears, plus the recorded timing differences from the microphones. This arrangement tends to produce rather vague positional information, and if the two channels are combined to produce a mono signal, comb-filtering effects can often be heard. Blumlein demonstrated that by using only the amplitude differences between the two loudspeakers, it was possible to fool the human hearing system into translating these into perceived timing differences, and hence stable and accurate image positions.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 11:38:53 PM by topdog »
On local music archiving hiatus....

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.088 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com