Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Schoeps order from Sweetwater  (Read 10265 times)

Offline SClassical

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
Schoeps order from Sweetwater
« on: September 29, 2010, 06:13:41 AM »
I ordered a matched pair of Schoeps Capsules from Sweetwater on Aug 27th..They charged my credit card on the day - Aug 27th. Now it's Sept 29th...Is it normal for a store to charge the customers first and ask them to wait for a few months for the order? I thought usually online stores charge customer's credit card when they are about to send the goods. They told me I still have to wait for a few more weeks because I requested my caps to be matched. So it seems as if I need to wait for about 2 months. Shall I ask for a refund and ask them to charge me when they send my order or shall I just let them hold my money while I wait? I understand if I have problems I cannot do a credit card claim if it is 2 or 3 months later? So if I wait for 3 or 4 months and they don't send or my order was DOA I'm not protected by my credit card company?

Is it normal to wait over a month for a match pair and is it normal for me to allow them to hold on to my money not knowing how long I need to wait for my order? I feel I should ask for my money back and allow them to charge me when they are about to send my order.

Mics: DPA3552 kit/DPA3521 kit/DPA SMK4081 kit/DPA SMK4060 kit/Schoeps 2X MK21, 2X MK22 and 2X MK4v and 2X Schoeps CCM2S
Mixers/preamps: Sonosax SX-M32/Sonosax SX-M2 LS/Grace Design V3/DPA MMA6000/Millennia HV-32P
Recorders: SD722/PCM-D50/MT2
Playback: Grace m903 - Sennheiser HD650 / Bowers & Wilkins Nautilus 805s

Offline John Willett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
Re: Schoeps order from Sweetwater
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 07:32:57 AM »
My understanding is that this is illegal - your card should only be charged when goods are despatched.

If it was a special order, they may want to take a non-returnable deposit.  But this should all have been agreed in advance.

And didn't Schoeps prices go down recently?

Offline mattmiller

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 09:04:46 AM »
I've never ordered from Sweetwater, but at B&H anything they sell that is "special order" has a warning near the price saying, basically, that your credit card will be charged upon order and you'll get the product whenever they receive it and ship it to you.  Sounds like the same policy that Sweetwater is utilizing.
Mics: Neumann KM100 (x4), AK40 (x2), AK50 (x2)
Pre: Lunatec V3
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Tascam HD-P2 (x2), Sony PCM-M10

Offline Neilyboy

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 09:21:45 AM »
Not sure on whats legal and whats not but I have to say I have ordered from sweetwater a few times in the past and they have always followed through very well on every order I placed. Even when it was just a set of mic-clips. They called my cellphone within an hour of my order being placed. They just asked if they could answer any questions about what I had purchased and that it was dispatched to their shipping department. They then shipped all of my orders free, each one was delivered within two days of order date (I do realize they have a shipping center just a state away from me).

Anyway, not going too far off topic but just wanted to let you know that they have always been my first choice in music gear only because of the support I have received from them in the past. I would be very comfortable with them helping me out if something were to go wrong with my order unlike some of the other east coast shops that I have purchased from which all gave me the run around, wrong tracking numbers, shipping dates that fell through and terrible phone support (ProAudioStar).

So worst case scenario if you do have issues with the product when it arrives I would think sweetwater would help you out no questions asked. The guy I always deal with at sweetwater is 'Dave Brow'. Super nice guy even wrote me an email after a purchase asking about my gear. Told me about the bands he has been in and such. So even though it seems a bit stressful now I think you will find sweetwater is good people!

Neil
Mic's: AKG C214's, Line Audio CM3, AT4041SP, AT853 (C, SC, O), AT943 (C, H)
Pre's: Sound Devices MixPre 2
Rec's: Sony PCM-M10, Edirol R-44, Tascam DR60D MKii, Tascam DR70D x 2

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 09:27:41 AM »
Is it normal to wait over a month for a match pair and is it normal for me to allow them to hold on to my money not knowing how long I need to wait for my order? I feel I should ask for my money back and allow them to charge me when they are about to send my order.

I recently ordered a new pair of Schoeps mics as well (not from Sweetwater though) and I think the reason for the delay, at least, is that Schoeps as a company evidently takes a month off in August and so orders placed afterwards have been backordered for some time.  I'm at about 3 and 1/2 weeks since my order was placed, and still waiting.  If you placed your order by phone you might have had the option of paying only a deposit but if you bought online then they probably charged you because they are ordering from Schoeps and it gets drop shipped to you directly from the distributor for the US (Redding Audio).  I would recommend calling Sweetwater and asking them for an update, and if it looks like it'll take much longer, for a refund or partial refund.  I don't know if they will let you not leave any sort of deposit, probably not, but you could ask.

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 11:54:31 AM »
I don't think what they're doing is non-standard.  When I bought my Beyers from them I believe I was charged upfront. Reason is they don't stock the mics, so they have to take your money and "buy" them from Schoeps and then have Schoeps get them to you. 

And of course, being European, I'd expect Schoeps to be basically non-functional for August.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline SClassical

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010, 02:24:56 PM »
Thanks..I just thought that shops usually only charge the credit card when they ship the item. I know some stores take credit card numbers and info on-hold and then charge it on the day they dispatch it to customers. I think I ordered stuff as a pre-order/release before and they all take card info and charge on the day of dispatch. I won't be able to do a credit card claim if it takes a few months if something goes wrong. I was charged when I placed the order on Aug 27th. I contacted them and they say it will take a few more weeks like another month, which sounds a long time to wait. The last time I ordered my match capsules from Sonic Sense it only took a few weeks. Maybe Schoeps don't have capsules ready paired up in their factory. And it's made to order every time.

su6oxone, when you placed the order did they asked you for a deposit or they wanted the full amount from you? Where did you place your order?
Mics: DPA3552 kit/DPA3521 kit/DPA SMK4081 kit/DPA SMK4060 kit/Schoeps 2X MK21, 2X MK22 and 2X MK4v and 2X Schoeps CCM2S
Mixers/preamps: Sonosax SX-M32/Sonosax SX-M2 LS/Grace Design V3/DPA MMA6000/Millennia HV-32P
Recorders: SD722/PCM-D50/MT2
Playback: Grace m903 - Sennheiser HD650 / Bowers & Wilkins Nautilus 805s

Offline datbrad

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2010, 02:26:47 PM »
Having dealt with Sweetwater, my speculation is that your request of a factory matched set required a special order since for most of the units they sell, that is not a typical customer requirement. Had you ordered a pair of non-matched mics, you likely would have been using them for the last 3 weeks.
AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Beyer M201>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD561 (Oade CMOD)

Offline su6oxone

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2010, 02:46:21 PM »
su6oxone, when you placed the order did they asked you for a deposit or they wanted the full amount from you? Where did you place your order?

I ordered from Sonic Sense, and they gave me the option of paying just a deposit but I just had them charge the full amount so I wouldn't have to deal with it later.  I asked for an update today so hopefully I will hear back soon (I was told 6-8 weeks as an estimate originally).  Sucks having to wait for so long but it's up to Schoeps at this point really...

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2010, 02:57:57 PM »
No way...   If they go out of business, or otherwise don't deliver, you could lose your money.  You shouldn't have to float that for them.  They should have also been very clear regarding how long it would take to get the product.

I'd order my schoeps from Posthorn.  Jerry is the only dealer I know of who actually stocks some critical schoeps repair parts.  And he can do simple repairs like change active cable lengths and repair torn out cables.  That's something I want to support.

Offline edtyre

• Trade Count: (85)
  • Team Philly " No Excuses, Just Tapes"
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2010, 10:24:00 PM »
I'd order my schoeps from Posthorn. 

I'll second that. The last time i ordered from Jerry, he actually didn't bill my credit card until after
i had received my package. Highly recommended.
music>mics>pre>recorder

Offline 12milluz

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2010, 10:55:56 PM »
I bet they are either dropped shipped or special order. Companies always do that- they charge a credit card when ordered because they don't normally stock them. Sweetwater is the best of the best. I visited their store/warehouse when I was in the region :o :o :o Incredible! Give 'em a call if you're wondering where the mics are, they will be very helpful I'm sure.
Audio-Technica AT853(c), Audio-Technica AT825>Naiant Littlebox>Sony PCM-M10

Offline 69mako

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2010, 10:16:28 AM »
I recently ordered an amp from Sweetwater and had nothing but good experiences.  It was on backorder when I bought it and they didn't charge my credit card until after they shipped it.  I only have to wait a couple weeks for it.

Good luck!
Mako
http://db.etree.org/69mako

007: Church Audio CA-14c -> Church Audio St-9100 preamp -> R-09HR

Open: Busman BSC1 mics (X2) -> Hydra Cables (X2) -> Tmod R4

Offline ellaguru

• Trade Count: (17)
    • the wendy hour
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2010, 10:22:05 AM »
No way...   If they go out of business, or otherwise don't deliver, you could lose your money.  You shouldn't have to float that for them.  They should have also been very clear regarding how long it would take to get the product.

I'd order my schoeps from Posthorn.  Jerry is the only dealer I know of who actually stocks some critical schoeps repair parts.  And he can do simple repairs like change active cable lengths and repair torn out cables.  That's something I want to support.

..that is if jerry can find the parts in that messy office of his  :P

Offline su6oxone

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2010, 10:56:51 AM »
I was charged when I placed the order on Aug 27th. I contacted them and they say it will take a few more weeks like another month, which sounds a long time to wait. The last time I ordered my match capsules from Sonic Sense it only took a few weeks. Maybe Schoeps don't have capsules ready paired up in their factory. And it's made to order every time.

Just an update for anyone interested but the mics I ordered on Sept 7 and finally being delivered today, just under five weeks -- which is a long wait but still under the 6-8 weeks estimate given to me by Sonic Sense.  I would presume ordering mics outside of the Aug-Sept vacation/post-vacation period would be faster than this. 

And to the OP, did you ever get your caps or resolve the situation?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.108 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com