Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Affordable AKG Sound  (Read 11460 times)

Offline rockymtnryan

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
Affordable AKG Sound
« on: October 18, 2010, 12:02:19 AM »
So if I'm trying to find a pair of mics that would give me AKG 481/483 type sound, but for an affordable price.........any ideas?

I've been looking at Peluso cemc6 and Busman bsc1 stereo sets since they are so affordable, but thought someone might have another option that is sonically more swimilar to the AKG 480 sound which is my favorite.

Thanks for any help.
AKG CK61-ULS > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II
AKG CK63-ULS > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II

Offline darby

• Trade Count: (108)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Support artists and venues that allow recording
Re: Affordable AKG Sound
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 12:26:42 AM »
if you want AKG sound then buy AKGs  ::)... perhaps some 390s?

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 12:33:50 AM »

Offline rockymtnryan

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 12:51:53 AM »
My budget constraints led me to believe that AKG's are out of my price range.  I would like to keep a pair of mics to $600 or less.

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 01:28:42 AM »
My budget constraints led me to believe that AKG's are out of my price range.  I would like to keep a pair of mics to $600 or less.

AKG 390's.   You should be able to find a set of 390 bodies, a set of caps or two and actives for $600 or less. 

Don't let those other brands fool you.  The 390's are without doubt the most underrated mics in that price range on this site.  Not sure why the Peluso's, Busman's and others get the fluff when the 390's always deliver.

Start in the Yard Sale with and ISO.  I am sure several people are holding sets of them.

Offline rockymtnryan

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 01:40:05 AM »
I know this is probably a dumb question but....Can you use the caps and actives going into a preamp, or do you also need the bodies as well?  I'm not really familiar with "actives".

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 01:47:24 AM »
Can you use the caps and actives going into a preamp, or do you also need the bodies as well?

No, you need the bodies in the equation.   Basically the active cables are extension cables that connect between the bodies and the capsules.   They are a nice feature of the 390's but are not required.  You can just as easily run caps > bodies.

Use the search function here on ts.com and search for posts on the 390 series.   

Offline rockymtnryan

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 01:59:47 AM »
Can you use the caps and actives going into a preamp, or do you also need the bodies as well?

No, you need the bodies in the equation.   Basically the active cables are extension cables that connect between the bodies and the capsules.   They are a nice feature of the 390's but are not required.  You can just as easily run caps > bodies.

Use the search function here on ts.com and search for posts on the 390 series.

Thats what I thought.  So with the actives you can have the low profile that is needed for most FOB taping.  I posted a ISO, and did a search.  It doesn't seem like those have been available for years, with most FS a few years ago.  Also checked Gearslutz.

Man I would kill to have that setup for $600 or less.  Thanks for your insight.

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2010, 10:50:36 AM »
I posted a ISO, and did a search.  It doesn't seem like those have been available for years, with most FS a few years ago.  Also checked Gearslutz.

I saw a set of bodies move last fall (maybe, don't see anyone picked them up unless they were sold on ebay). You might have to wait a bit or troll ebay (always recomended). If I were in your position, I wouldn't be afraid of getting singles and puting together a set. Hunting for obscure gear or gear at great prices takes a patience.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2010, 10:59:31 AM »
I posted a ISO, and did a search.  It doesn't seem like those have been available for years, with most FS a few years ago.  Also checked Gearslutz.

I saw a set of bodies move last fall (maybe, don't see anyone picked them up unless they were sold on ebay). You might have to wait a bit or troll ebay (always recomended). If I were in your position, I wouldn't be afraid of getting singles and puting together a set. Hunting for obscure gear or gear at great prices takes a patience.

well said. if you really want the 390s, you'll get them but it will take time and perseverance. I know there is a set of 480s for sale in YS for a little more than you've got but contact the seller and work something out.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline tgakidis

• Trade Count: (552)
    • My Recordings on the Archive:
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2010, 11:34:24 AM »
http://www.studiocare.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=263_265&products_id=64442

Used AKG 391 for 175 pounds (150 without VAT).  A pair would be less then 600 US dollars.  I have dealt with the company in the past and they have great customer service.
GAKables: Custom XLR, Digi & Batt Cables http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

Mics: Schoeps CMC6 x 4, Schoeps CMC1K x 2 / Schoeps KC 5G x 2 / Schoeps MK4,MK41,MK21,MK22 x 2 / Austrian Audio OC818 Dual Set+ / Telefunken TF-11 x 2 / Telefunken ELA M 260 x 4 / Telefunken M960FS x 2 / TK60,TK61,TK62 x 2 / Telefunken M60,TK60 x 2 / AKG c426b / AKG c34 / nBob AKG Actives>PFA x 4 / CK61,CK63,CK8 x 2 / AT853 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub)
Pres: Sonosax SX-AD8+ / Sonosax SX-M2D2 / Sonosax SX-M2 / Lunatec V3
Recs: Sonosax SX-R4+ / Sound Devices MixPre-6ii / Marantz PMD-661 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F3

My Recordings: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%28Gakidis%29&sort=-da

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2010, 11:37:11 AM »
my first pair of mics was a set of AKG 391's.  I paid $450 for the pair, so they can definitely be had in your price range.
Additionally, I would keep your eyes open for a pair of used AKG 460's.  I think the 460's sound better than the 300's, and I think I've seen used pairs (with one set of caps) go for right around $600 (or maybe less?).

Offline Shawn

• is old and tired
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2010, 11:47:50 AM »
if you want the akg sound and have $600 you should easily be able to get a pair of akg 460s. I've bought and sold several pairs between $550 and $650 depending on condition

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2010, 12:30:45 PM »
^ Yup.  As I scrolled down reading this thread that's what I was thinking too.  The 460's plus a pair of CK61's.  Then you have the basis for a great rig...add a pair of CK63 hypers and CK62 omni's later.  You could also keep an eye out for the AK46 cables which pop up occasionally (aren't there some in the YS right now?) for a killer active rig.  The sound of the 460's with those actives is really strong.

Offline ero3030

• Trade Count: (59)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2010, 12:56:03 PM »
take your time and keep your eyes open.  i sold a MINT set of 460/61's for 675$ 2 months ago.  u will find something, dont be in a hurry like Tonedeaf :P   ed
needin some fishhead music!

" known for f**king up a good weekend on a Thursday nite "

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com