Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: AKG 391 extension cable  (Read 9846 times)

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
AKG 391 extension cable
« on: February 10, 2011, 10:27:18 AM »
Does anyone know where to get the parts to make an active cable for the 300 series?  I found the original AKG item on line but the want about $300 each.  I'm thinking it might be way cheaper to build it.  So any part numbers or ideas on how to do this?  Thanks, Kirk
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 04:05:57 PM by kirkd »

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: AKG 391 active cable
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 10:34:04 AM »
Does anyone know where to get the parts to make an active cable for the 300 series?  I found the original AKG item on line but the want about $300 each.  I'm thinking it might be way cheaper to build it.  So any part numbers or ideas on how to do this?  Thanks, Kirk
It is a straight wire: 3 wires to 3 wires.
The trick is in the "bayonet" connector.  Very nice, but mechanically would be difficult to build.  You could just get a soldering iron and hard wire it, but then you would not have switchable caps.

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

kirk97132

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 10:49:45 AM »
Right I was hoping to get the bayonet mount so it could be used with different caps and without the cable if desired.  Just seems that $300 each is kinda steep:
http://www.proaudiosolutions.com/product-p/mk90-3h98.htm

anybody got a contact name at AKG for parts?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 10:54:16 AM by kirkd »

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 10:54:31 AM »
I didn't even know they still made these!  I got a set second hand with my mics.  I thought about having busman hard wire a set, but didn't like that I couldn't change caps.  Maybe contact AKG to see if you can buy the adapters.  If you find the parts LMK I wouldn't mind grabbing a set. 

Edit: These are discontinued on they proaudio solutions website!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 11:03:37 AM by jmbell »
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER | Neumann kk 184 (matched)> Nbob/PFA
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

kirk97132

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 11:03:45 AM »
Cable is discontinued but there appears to be strays still for sale.  You're probably right about the better price but even if they came down 100 I think it's still kinda high.  I'm thinking AKG for parts might be the next step. 

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 11:07:51 AM »
Your right it has 1 unit available!  LMK if you have any luck with the adapters.

Cable is discontinued but there appears to be strays still for sale.  You're probably right about the better price but even if they came down 100 I think it's still kinda high.  I'm thinking AKG for parts might be the next step.

kirk97132

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 03:30:49 PM »
LMK if you have any luck with the adapters.

Send me an email addy.  I've got some stuff for ya to look over.

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 04:03:23 PM »
Nice!

LMK if you have any luck with the adapters.

Send me an email addy.  I've got some stuff for ya to look over.

kirk97132

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 04:08:54 PM »
So questions for anybody out there paying attention. 

Is anyone else interested in an active cable if I make it?

What would you want.....AKG>AKG mount or AKG>mini xlr?

If you were gonna use active cable can you skip the body and go straight into preamp...and what is the difference in sound? Doesn't the AKG mic body amp give it tonal quality?

And how come there is so little feedback on these mics?  Nothing really good OR bad just meh....

Does anyone know if there are any modding options for them? 

Thanks, Kirk

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2011, 08:18:38 PM »
I might be interested in a AKG> 6pin minixlr!  You can't run the caps right into a preamp without phantom adapters.  I think the caps only run off 9v.  LMK what's going on.

Offline EarlyMorningRain

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2011, 09:39:23 PM »
sounds like you have everything you need, but wanted to post this link for another user here who mods the ck9x caps (he did my set and I'm happy with them)

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=71622.0

Carry on

kirk97132

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2011, 12:01:36 PM »
Cool thanx for that link.  It somehow was missed in my searches.  Where did you get the connectors for the Caps? 

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2011, 01:43:32 PM »
Those are hard wired so you can't change the caps!  I thought you wanted a solution with caps that can be switched like the MK90/3-h98 cable. 

Cool thanx for that link.  It somehow was missed in my searches.  Where did you get the connectors for the Caps?

kirk97132

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2011, 02:46:32 PM »
AH thx.  Yep I don't want it hardwired.   I just got the mics in hand so next is to get the parts list together and see what they want.  So a 6 pin mini, I didn't even know there was such a thing.  You just wanna test my soldering skills huh 8)

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2011, 03:13:54 PM »
Church Audio has a setup for Active AKG39x too....is it not backward compatible either?

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=108255.300

This must be heaven -- 'cause here's where the rainbow ends
If this ain't the real thing, then it's close enough to pretend

Offline illconditioned

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2011, 03:20:42 PM »
Those are hard wired so you can't change the caps!  I thought you wanted a solution with caps that can be switched like the MK90/3-h98 cable. 

When I used these I just hardwired ck9x > wire > minixlr, then used a dual miniXLR battery box.  This can be an economical setup if you buy just the capsules.  In fact, I don't I've ever had bodies (except for a stray or two that came with some used capsules I bought).

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2011, 03:24:12 PM »
i believe the CA setup allows you to have one cable and different caps
but you can not then use the caps with the bodies, there is a "gold" screw on part thats added
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline EarlyMorningRain

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2011, 04:09:47 PM »
i believe the CA setup allows you to have one cable and different caps
but you can not then use the caps with the bodies

I'm sure I read that in a thread somewhere too as it does sound familiar. Or was this perhaps in regards to his Audix mirco caps active (cable) mod?? As it seems to me his active cables for those mics let you change out  the caps if needed.

Can anyone else confirm??

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2011, 04:47:10 PM »
Even with the CA mod you can't put them on bodies! 

kirk97132

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2011, 08:02:14 PM »

When I used these I just hardwired ck9x > wire > minixlr, then used a dual miniXLR battery box.  This can be an economical setup if you buy just the capsules.  In fact, I don't I've ever had bodies (except for a stray or two that came with some used capsules I bought).

Richard

Well here's the dealio...I got a set of the C391B mics as part of insurance. replacement.  I didn't pick them, this is what they gave my in place of mics that are no longer being made.  Not my choice.  BUT, from what I have heard and the feedback I've gotten these are a decent set of mics.  If anything the feedback is the highs are a tad rough for some people.  The other real world feedback is go with the hypers, but of course the set comes with cards.   I am most likely gonna sell them and thought that if I could make a set of active cables they would fetch a little more and have a better market appeal since it seems that these mics are not in big demand.  Of course it will depend on what the parts cost.  So, my thought was, make it as flexible as possible, with the active cable being able to be removed and in turn the capsules can be changed out too.  I may or may not pick up a set of (new)hypers.  I say new because these are brand new.  That is also my hope that Brand new never used at a good price that they will move.   Maybe I should just try a straight up sale first?  But since I was researching it I posted it to see if there was any interest.  Other than jmbell I have not really had anyone else express interest.  And from what I've seen in my searches on TS it looks like the active cables were the thing that cinched sales.   So anybody want a brand new never used set of 391's?  New pricing is about $720 for the pair.  how bout $650 plus shipping.  One box still sealed one box I opened to make sure of the parts I wanted for the cables.  I'm still deciding on what to do before I make it official in the YS.   And from what I've found by poking around, it doesn't look like that anyone has any mods or ideas for mods to take these to the next level.  That was another option I was willing to explore, but I didn't find much.  any ideas Richard?   Thanx gang!

Offline newplanet7

• Hasn't heard a muddy 460/480 tape. EVER. Mike Hawk
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • The Place To Be...... Akustische u. Kino-Geräte
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2011, 10:08:59 PM »
Hi Kirk.
I would take them to fleabay where you could realistically get that price.
Not sure if even brand new you would get  $650 for the pair in the YS.
They are worth it but like you said it doesn't seem as if people are up for these lately.
A few years ago I bought a pair that was in great shape for 340 and later sold them for 300.

EDIT:
If you did do the cables you would get that price IMO.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 10:11:29 PM by newplanet7 »
MILAB VM-44 Classic~> Silver T's~> Busman PMD660
News From Phish: Will tour as opening act for Widespread Panic for Summer
hahaha never happen, PHiSH is waaaaayyyy better the WSP

They both ain't got nothing on MMW... Money spent wisely if you ask me...

FYI, it is a kick ass recording of a bunch of pretend-a-hippies talking.

kirk97132

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2011, 04:05:25 PM »
The more I look into this the more of a clusterfuck it is.  The replacement mics are not what I really want or would have chosen.   Since the mics they are replacing are no longer produced, I'm screwed.  Supposedly they have "experts" who determine what the replacement is.  So this is what they picked to replace a set of Toa KY mics.  It's crap IMNSHO.  The Toa's were over $700 each new back in the late 90's.  And the resale value on even new C391 B mics is in the gutter.  You can barely give these things away.  Nobody's buying them, nobody wants them and nobody even does mods to them.   The parts needed to make a set of cables(not really actives) are not available from AKG.  So now I'm getting more than a little frustrated.  I did find a single extension cable that AKG used to make, did I say I found one.  so even if I want to spend the money I can't get a pair.  and since the whole purpose was to make the sale more attractive I can't see how adding $400 or more to the price tag, cables or not, is going to help my cause.  I'd say the pure extension cable project has been derailed.  The goal being keeping the caps and bodies stock while being able to use the cable when you wanted.  The only option at this point is to hardwire it and that's not something I am going to do.  You;d think the bayonet mount would make it fairly easy to do things but hell no, it's a big big pain in the ass. 

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2011, 04:58:42 PM »
Sorry your unhappy with the mics!  I think you would have better luck getting what you want on ebay.  I never had much luck with insurance companies not trying to screw me.  Good luck

The more I look into this the more of a clusterfuck it is.  The replacement mics are not what I really want or would have chosen.   Since the mics they are replacing are no longer produced, I'm screwed.  Supposedly they have "experts" who determine what the replacement is.  So this is what they picked to replace a set of Toa KY mics.  It's crap IMNSHO.  The Toa's were over $700 each new back in the late 90's.  And the resale value on even new C391 B mics is in the gutter.  You can barely give these things away.  Nobody's buying them, nobody wants them and nobody even does mods to them.   The parts needed to make a set of cables(not really actives) are not available from AKG.  So now I'm getting more than a little frustrated.  I did find a single extension cable that AKG used to make, did I say I found one.  so even if I want to spend the money I can't get a pair.  and since the whole purpose was to make the sale more attractive I can't see how adding $400 or more to the price tag, cables or not, is going to help my cause.  I'd say the pure extension cable project has been derailed.  The goal being keeping the caps and bodies stock while being able to use the cable when you wanted.  The only option at this point is to hardwire it and that's not something I am going to do.  You;d think the bayonet mount would make it fairly easy to do things but hell no, it's a big big pain in the ass.

kirk97132

« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2011, 06:45:31 PM »
I do come off as being unhappy with the mics, but it is more that the choice was forced on me.  To be honest I have not tried them, hoping that the new never used was a selling point.  I do have one lead at a local college but I'll have to wait for payment, if they actually do want to buy them.  Yuo know first fill out forms to be a vendor then wait for purchase order to go through and then wait till billing clears and payment gets issued.  Or then E-bay, which may or may not pan out.  I guess I got myself too excited about making a set of cables for the capsules.  But AKG says only one of the parts we looked at is available????? Really?  Really? WTF is that?  I have even considered tracking down a set of swivels and splitting them in half.  But all those options are gonna run $400 or more for a set and that is a fair amount of coin.  Who knows I just might end up with a set of 391's in my mic locker. 

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2011, 08:58:00 PM »
^  I have made some nice recordings with mine!  They don't have the snob factor of the 460/480, but they sound nice to my ears.  Give them a run before you sell them, it shouldn't drop the value and you might be okay with the sound.  :-\  Hope it works out for ya.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 10:21:24 AM by jmbell »

Offline newplanet7

« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2011, 06:27:47 AM »
^  I have made some nice recordings with mine! 
x2
When I i had them, I made some great tapes too. Never had a bad one.
I did sell them for 460's with the old ck1 caps, because those were what I wanted when I first started but weren't available at the time.

So if selling doesn't pan out, at least you will have a set of reliable brand new mics in your locker.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 06:29:44 AM by newplanet7 »

kirk97132

« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2011, 02:13:33 PM »
So I get another email from AKG no explanation or reason but now they have the other parts needed to fabricate a set of cables.  And I should have known the prices for the parts exceeds buying a cable at list price.  So the parts would be bout $250 plus I need to add in cable cost plus the work to actually make it.  and the work trying to figure out how to connect the cable to pieces that do not normally have cable soldered to them.  I have found one cable for $200 and a swivel for $200.  I'm guessing with a little research I could dig up another cable.  I never expected to parts to come in this high.  Well I guess that settles it.  I'm skipping trying to make extension cables.  I have revised it to extension cables because these are not rally an active cable.   Nothing active about a cable here 8)  Dunno what I'll do at this point.  I have other SDC that I'd go to first.  So maybe a sale is still in the future.  Or maybe not.

kirk97132

« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2011, 03:43:47 PM »
Alright, you guys win ;D  Gonna keep 'em and try them out.  So from what I can read on line these mics are said to have a "harsher" high end.  Their words, and granted it is from the interweb.....How do you guys feel bout them in real world use?  And I'd love to get the hypers but that can't happen right now.  I rarely do any OTS taping it's mostly small venues/bars and a lot of onstage and/or FOH mixing where I am using them to mic instruments.  What I don't need is another set of OH mics.  Any feedback on where they shine and where they are lacking?  Thanks, Kirk
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 04:05:01 PM by kirkd »

Offline illconditioned

« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2011, 03:54:43 PM »
Alright, you guys win ;D  Gonna keep 'em and try them out.  So from what I can read on line these mics are said to have a "hrasher" high end.  Their words, and granted it is from the interweb.....How do you guys feel bout them in real world use?  And I'd love to get the hypers but that can't happen right now.  I rarely do any OTS taping it's mostly small venues/bars and a lot of onstage and/or FOH mixing where I am using them to mic instruments.  What I don't need is another set of OH mics.  Any feedback on where they shine and where they are lacking?  Thanks, Kirk
My opinion only...  They seem to lack detail.  The frequency response is smooth, and the pattern is tight/consistent.  Just a lack of detail.  I've made many recordings with these where I add soundboard to the signal.  I don't like them much on their own, but as part of a "matrix" I do like them.

Richard

kirk97132

Re: AKG 391 extension cable
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2011, 02:23:46 PM »
THanx for the feedback.   ;D

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2011, 03:08:14 PM »
Here is a show I did recently!  There is some crowd noise, but can't help it in this type of venue.  I am working on a Cornmeal show that sounds real nice that I should have on LMA by the end of the weekend. 

http://www.archive.org/details/BrushfireStankgrassLiveAtHighlandsBrewery2411

kirk97132

« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2011, 03:26:02 PM »
Yeah chatty crowd.    I tried searching LMA for anything else of yours but only got one hit.  Is there more 391 stuff of your up there?  I also like that you run am MP-2 like me so I can get a feel for it.    Man I am so torn about these mics.  I have some shows coming up but don't want to be experimenting since I'm recording them for a friend.  Benefit shows for his cancer.   John or Richard, have you guys ever used them directly on amps or anything like that?  I'm trying to see if they are good as mics when I do FOH work. 

Offline newplanet7

« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2011, 03:45:54 PM »

kirk97132

« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2011, 03:55:12 PM »
Thanks The Clud De elf although not my type of music it was nice to hear a comp.    I know there is a crap load of 391 recordings on the LMA .  Anybody care to comment on these VS Busman BSC1's? 

Offline EarlyMorningRain

« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2011, 08:04:38 PM »
if your after 393 samples, you can search the LMA for just AKG 393 for example, and get plenty of hits
http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=AKG%20393%20AND%20collection%3Aetree
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 09:20:00 PM by EarlyMorningRain »

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2011, 09:11:40 PM »
Busman mics are brighter sounding!  I wouldin't use the cards (ck91) indoors.  I only run hypers at indoor shows. 

Thanks The Clud De elf although not my type of music it was nice to hear a comp.    I know there is a crap load of 391 recordings on the LMA .  Anybody care to comment on these VS Busman BSC1's?

Offline setboy

« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2011, 09:55:37 PM »
Busman mics are brighter sounding!

Depends on your play back.....I know a lot of people say they are bright, but my ears do not hear it that way.....though I wish they did hear it more bright.

Offline newplanet7

« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2011, 10:23:16 PM »
Busman mics are brighter sounding!  I wouldin't use the cards (ck91) indoors.  I only run hypers at indoor shows. 
They are good on-stage.
Why do you only run hypers in-doors.

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2011, 06:44:50 AM »
At the venues I usually tape I don't like the sound of the CK91's!  They pick up to much bass and not enough Highs, it just doesn't seem to have a balanced sound like the ck93.  Only my opionion.

Kirkd I will post a link to the cornmeal show that I UL'd yesterday once I can get greenone to help me fix the metadata.  I'm still learning how to upload to LMA and haven't got the process down.  I was running CK93 caps

Edit: Cornmeal show I recently recorded http://www.archive.org/details/Cornmeal2011-02-19.Cornmeal2011-02-19

They are good on-stage.
Why do you only run hypers in-doors.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 11:41:42 AM by jmbell »

Offline newplanet7

« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2011, 02:41:05 PM »
I hear ya.
I liked them for close micing.

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2011, 02:56:10 PM »
have you guys ever used them directly on amps or anything like that?  I'm trying to see if they are good as mics when I do FOH work.

I used a pair of these as overheads one time. I thought they sounded much better than the pair of JW mod 463s that I used the night before. Rock music. Loud drummer. What they lack in high end detail can be utilized to get a gritty rock and roll drum sound. I found myself mixing in more of the OH and backing off on the tom and snare mics as the night progressed. Didn't have any problem with monitor bleed which had plagued me with the 463s.

I wouldn't hesitate to put it on a guitar cab from a foot away mixed with a close dynamic...if the stage is wide enough to provide for a little separation.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

kirk97132

« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2011, 01:50:14 AM »
So I ended up doing a trade for Busmans BSC1's and some money without ever plugging these mics in.  I listened to a bunch of LMA stuff and it's not that I didn't think they would sound bad but as SDC's I have others I would reach for first and a total of 6(well 7 if you count 853 style mic)pairs so I'm flush with them.   But the Busmans with the extra caps seemed to give some added flexibility and the person I traded with really wanted to try out the 391's so I think we are both happy.   I'm grateful for the feedback.  And in fact it was the feedback here that made me think long and hard about the trade.   I've been switching up my overhead stuff when I get the chance.  So besides gigs where I'm using other peoples mics, usually the Ole SM-81's  I've used some Samson hypers, NUeman 184s, ADk SC-t's Toa K3 & K1's and I've been toying with moving my EV N/D 308's off the toms to overheads and have actually used my ADK A51's on the toms, I kinda back 'em off a bit and let the kick and snare bleed in.  But now we are so far off topic.......

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.221 seconds with 67 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com