Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: How do Core Sound Cardioids compare to Church Audio CA-14s?  (Read 15499 times)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: How do Core Sound Cardioids compare to Church Audio CA-14s?
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2011, 04:01:31 PM »
"kilocycles per second KSS" in specifications on his site. *LOL* When people start reinventing technical terminology ... watch out.

That's not reinventing, it's simply old-school, man.  Counting frequencies in units of Hertz (Hz) didn't come into fashion until the 70's, before then everyone used Cycles Per Second (CPS).  Science marches on and although Pluto may be stripped of true planet status, the good German physicist who did pioneering magnetics work (at least I think that's what Hertz contributed) now get's his due.

It's the same unit, just a different name.  Hz=cps; kHz= kcps; etc.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Ekib

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2014, 06:39:10 AM »
Anyone here who records shows with the church audio CA-14's ?
I'd prefer hearing metal , but other music would do too .
Would like to hear some sound clips to compare with my core sound's I am using .

I'd appreciate if someone can sent me some clips by wetransfer . Please sent me a PM . Thanks !

Than at least it will give me some idea .
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 06:40:44 AM by Ekib »
But I have to say, I don’t mind it. I do object when I see people sticking microphones up my nose, in the front row. If I see anyone doing that [laughs] I’m going to have security remove them. Because that’s just obnoxious. But I don’t mind if people come and discreetly at the back make a recording of it. And I know that it’s just for their own use, for the superfan.
(Steven Wilson , interview http://blog.musoscribe.com/index.php/2011/01/25/interview-steven-wilson-on-audience-taping/ )

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2014, 08:19:19 AM »
Darktrain wired my countryman B3's.  However, since I purchased the at853 subcards, I haven't touched the B3's.   ;D
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline ravingandrooling

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2014, 08:26:54 AM »
Anyone here who records shows with the church audio CA-14's ?
I'd prefer hearing metal , but other music would do too .
Would like to hear some sound clips to compare with my core sound's I am using .

I'd appreciate if someone can sent me some clips by wetransfer . Please sent me a PM . Thanks !

Than at least it will give me some idea .

If anyone else is curious about the CA14 cards, here is a link to some mp3 samples of various shows I captured with them this past year.  Billy Cobham, Steve Hackett, Yes, Nektar and Zombi.  CA14 - Ugly BB - Sony M10.

http://we.tl/9capeqyyHs

Mics:  CA14 (c,o,sc), AT943 (c/h)
Power: UBB x2, CA9100, CA9200
Recorder: Sony M10 x2

Offline Ekib

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2014, 11:10:39 AM »
Are the 14's the best cardioid's Church have ?

But I have to say, I don’t mind it. I do object when I see people sticking microphones up my nose, in the front row. If I see anyone doing that [laughs] I’m going to have security remove them. Because that’s just obnoxious. But I don’t mind if people come and discreetly at the back make a recording of it. And I know that it’s just for their own use, for the superfan.
(Steven Wilson , interview http://blog.musoscribe.com/index.php/2011/01/25/interview-steven-wilson-on-audience-taping/ )

adrianf74

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2014, 12:05:11 PM »
Why not ask Chris directly?   I'm sure he'll be able to help you.  I'd sooner buy CA-14's over CSC's (as would most).

Offline TimSmith

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2014, 03:25:27 AM »

Here's a direct quote from CA-man himself (I can't remember where it was posted):

The ca-11 omni are the flattest mics I make right now. And in some situations thats what you want. these capsules do not remove from the body. I can under special request make a set that will work with cards and omni caps but they must be ordered at the same time. The threads are slightly different on these capsules.

The ca-14 omni are not as flat but still sound good. They seem to have slightly less bottom end than the ca-11 omni II does. In some situations thats a good thing.

The ca-14 card is not a very flat mic but sounds good for super close stack taping but its slightly harder to aim. If you are in a very loud situation where the sound feild is all around you. The ca-14 card is a good choice.

The ca-11 card II is slightly flatter not quite as flat on the bottom end as the ca-14 card but the top end is slightly sweeter sounding on the ca-11 card.
The ca-11 is a good choice when you have the ability to aim at the sound source like for croakie mounts.. I really like these when they are on ether side of the head.

When I posted and said the ca-11 II omni was my best mic I was speaking of the flatness for me being a audio geek I have always been trying to get a flatter sounding mic. But again every single situation is different. I usually recommend mics based on what my customers are doing at the time they place an order. I just have alot of experience with my own mics obviously I make them. So If anyone has any doubts always send me a quick email and I will be glad to answer questions about my gear and where and when would be the best time to use it.

I cant obviously answer questions about what recorder setting to use.. Or what gain settings to use. I can only speak in general terms because I don't know how loud your concert is.. But I can give you good advice on placement on the body. Like any mics the higher on your body the better they will sound all of my mics have been designed to sound better with a boundary * your head * between them. The bigger the boundary the better your left right stereo separation will be.
I know, I know.... My english...

CA-14 (card or omni) -> CA-UGLY-BB or CA-9200 -> Sony PCM-M10

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2014, 06:53:43 PM »
they are the best in terms of extended frequency response but in terms of small vrs quality the ca11is pretty hard to beat.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.104 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com