Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mic Stands  (Read 10248 times)

Offline tibbsa

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Mic Stands
« on: September 19, 2004, 11:22:14 AM »
I suspect I am going to start something of a holy war with this quesiton, but I've been trying to track down a microphone stand -- or something that could be used as one -- that is fairly portable (i.e. folds up to be carryable, i.e. less than 5 feet long), and that can get up to 7 or 9 feet without a boom (for low visual profile).  I'd need a stereo/T-bar on it to pull the "omnis with a jecklin" trick.

The more portable it can get, and the smaller (or least intrusive) the footprint, the better.

Someone has mentioned the Manfrotto stands and having seen a small 7 footer, but the only one I could find had a price tag around $1000 which is... well, not an option. 

I'm in Canada, if there happen to be any Canadians here with an idea of a good supplier in the north.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Mic Stands
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2004, 01:16:23 PM »
I use and love my Bogen (Manfrotto) 3373.  Check the Archival Info forum for a thread on mic stands, it'll answer your questions and offer additional options.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2004, 07:59:45 PM »
I second the 3373, excellent stand. Folds up real small, gets to 7', small footprint yet can carry a heavy load
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2004, 09:25:45 PM »
Quote from: tibbsa
I suspect I am going to start something of a holy war with this quesiton.....

no holy war here.  are newbies THAT afraid to make their first post???  it seems that all the newb's start there first post off with a statement like the one quoted.  i've always thought this board to be VERY newbie friendly.

oh and i'll third the 3733. it's the one you want :)

+T for not starting a holy war!

Offline kmanshi

• Taperssection Regular
  • Stop coming to my barn. You're all FIRED!!
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2004, 10:41:15 PM »
There is a post in a conversation that mentions these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=30080&item=3839877119&rd=1

I just ordered one and received it Friday.  I gave $35 (shipping included to US address).  Some folks have gotten them cheaper.  It's got a pretty big foot print, but you can adjust it so that it's not so bad.  It extends easily over 10 feet, and you can add a "chair-brella" to the stand for $4.50 (if you have Wal-Mart in Canada....I hope that's not a stupid comment).

The only problem I have with this stand is the 1/4" male screw end.  I need to find a 5/8" converter for it.  I know there out there, just gotta find one.
And the same God you're afraid, is going to send you to hell, is the same God you will answer to when the pin hits the shell.

Offline tibbsa

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2004, 09:42:55 AM »
Quote from: tibbsa
I suspect I am going to start something of a holy war with this quesiton.....

no holy war here.  are newbies THAT afraid to make their first post???  it seems that all the newb's start there first post off with a statement like the one quoted.  i've always thought this board to be VERY newbie friendly.

You're probably right, and I didn't realize it was such a common feeling.  I just know that in most communities like this, everyone "has their favourite," and you'll normally get 40 answers from 35 different people when you ask such a simple and common question.  :-) 

But I'll look into the stand mentioned... thanks.

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2004, 10:04:34 AM »
yes, everyone does have their favorite..the 3373 ;D
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

Offline Sanjay

• www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2004, 10:17:09 AM »
yes, everyone does have their favorite..the 3373 ;D

its my favorite
mics & cameras

Offline tibbsa

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2004, 11:30:28 AM »
I second the 3373, excellent stand. Folds up real small, gets to 7', small footprint yet can carry a heavy load

Sweet indeed.  The only thing is... All the specs I've seen say the maximum height on this stand is 6.2', not 7'.  (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=NavBar&A=getItemDetail&Q=&sku=5602&is=REG&si=spec#goto_itemInfo

For my application, there MAY be people wandering around, and I'd be worried that a 6'2", it'd still be really close to head level? 

I wonder if this would be comparable (with the added height): http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=148860&is=REG

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2004, 11:55:00 AM »

I wonder if this would be comparable (with the added height): http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=148860&is=REG

The footprint on that one looks monstrous to me.  My $.02 would be to make sure the footprint isn't large- in congested areas, large footprint= knocked over stand.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline tibbsa

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2004, 12:01:03 PM »
The footprint on that one looks monstrous to me.  My $.02 would be to make sure the footprint isn't large- in congested areas, large footprint= knocked over stand.

According to the specs, the footprint diameter is 39.4 in (1 meter) for that stand.  The 3373 lists a footprint of 3.3 feet (39.6 inches), or 1 meter.  So.... that much is the same?

I think the pictures are a bit misleading.  Either that or the specs are wrong.  I wonder which to believe.

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2004, 12:02:16 PM »

According to the specs, the footprint diameter is 39.4 in (1 meter) for that stand.  The 3373 lists a footprint of 3.3 feet (39.6 inches), or 1 meter.  So.... that much is the same?

I think the pictures are a bit misleading.  Either that or the specs are wrong.  I wonder which to believe.

I was just looking at the picture- I would imagine the specs are more trustworthy than the picture.

Carry on!  ;)
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2004, 01:07:44 PM »

Sweet indeed.  The only thing is... All the specs I've seen say the maximum height on this stand is 6.2', not 7'.  (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=NavBar&A=getItemDetail&Q=&sku=5602&is=REG&si=spec#goto_itemInfo

For my application, there MAY be people wandering around, and I'd be worried that a 6'2", it'd still be really close to head level? 

6'2"? that can't be right, I am 6' and when this thing is at its max height its way more than 2 inches above my head, even with sneaks on.
In Tyler we Trust

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2004, 02:48:38 PM »
The 3373 definitely runs higher than 6'2" if you narrow the footprint.  Due to the stand design, the narrower the footprint the higher total height you can achieve.  I'm guessing stand manufacturers list the max height based on some fixed footprint and in the 3373's case we shrink the footprint to [1] add some additional height and [2] minimize w00ks kicking the legs.

And don't forget I mentioned the 18" gooseneck extension - not only does it come in awfully handy for clamping to railings, ceilings, etc., but it'll also get you an extra 18" on top of your stand when you want/need it.  Cheap, easy to carry around, very flexible.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2004, 06:11:46 PM »
The 3373 definitely runs higher than 6'2" if you narrow the footprint.  Due to the stand design, the narrower the footprint the higher total height you can achieve.  I'm guessing stand manufacturers list the max height based on some fixed footprint and in the 3373's case we shrink the footprint to [1] add some additional height and [2] minimize w00ks kicking the legs.

And don't forget I mentioned the 18" gooseneck extension - not only does it come in awfully handy for clamping to railings, ceilings, etc., but it'll also get you an extra 18" on top of your stand when you want/need it.  Cheap, easy to carry around, very flexible.

good point, forgot about the whole footprint deal.
In Tyler we Trust

BobW

« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2004, 05:12:10 PM »

What adapter do you need to top it with a mic clamp or shure vert bar ?

Offline Tim

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2004, 05:15:37 PM »
as for the footprint... you can cut down the legs on the 3373 to take up less space :)
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

BobW

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2004, 09:15:56 PM »
as for the footprint... you can cut down the legs on the 3373 to take up less space :)

The lightstands all retract legs up in a kinda pyramid, so partial retraction = smaller footprint, taller pyramid .
Nothing to cut.

What does one do with the brass light mount pin at the top ?
Does it come off ? (doesn't seem to turn without tools & I don't want to mess it up)
Do I need a clamp ?

Offline tibbsa

• Taperssection Regular
Re: Mic Stands - 3373 adapters
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2004, 12:38:02 AM »
This question is one which really interests me.  I've found a supplier for the 3353 here in Canada (since the 3373 is apparently not available, and the only difference I can find is that the 3373 is black); however, I am having a really hard time pinning down what adapters are needed to connect it to a standard mic bar. 

In the archives, it notes that to get to something standard, you'd need part #3102 and #3366.  #3366 has been re-coded as 'MIBA' (or BOMIBA).  #3102 is  5/8" stud > 3/8" male thread adapter, and #3366/MIBA is a 3/8" F adapter to 5/8" Male. 

Now... the supplier I have, is suggesting that this isn't what I need, and what I really need is 'SPA18' (1/4" > 5/8" directly -  see link below). 

So... I'm a little confused on what one really needs, and don't wnat to order something that won't help.  :-) 

The adapter they've recommended is :
http://www.manfrotto.com/product/templates/itemalone.php3?itemid=178

edit: OK, I'm an idiot.  The above link is for the specifications for the 3353 mount, which seems to be a 1/4" mount, rather than a 5/8" stud.  So, the only adapter one needs on the 3353 is #3103 (1/4 F > 3/8 thread) ... perhaps?  (http://www.manfrotto.com/product/templates/itemalone.php3?itemid=158)

I'll wait for an 'expert' to chime in...

« Last Edit: September 25, 2004, 12:58:01 AM by tibbsa »

Offline John R

• www.tapers.org
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2004, 02:28:05 AM »
low profile jecklin disc?
we all live downstream.

BobW

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2004, 03:43:41 AM »
I'll post a pic of mine, but the top is a Photo Light mounting pin.
A Modeling Light or Flash Head mounts to it with a clamp.

My question is, does it unthread ? It has a knurled edge, but it is tight and doesn't seem like it is screwed on.
I don't want to spin a press-fit pin out of the tubing.

[EDIT]
BTW, "Bomiba"  converts a 3/8 male to 5/8 male, going typical lightstand end to mic clip thread.
That would go on a 3/8 stud to mate it to the mike clip or T-Bar

BHphoto.com has pretty decent pictures and the search feature works OK
Clicking the picture shows details and brings up accessories.

[EDIT] I found the clamp that it needs..... a pricey little $13 accessory clamp that puts a  3/8 stud on top of the pin.
 Worse yet, BH is closed for the next few days for the holidays.
Sometimes mail-order really sucks.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2004, 03:54:25 AM by BobW »

Offline John R

• www.tapers.org
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2004, 10:40:18 AM »
i believe you guys may be looking for these:

1/4"-20>3/8"    http://www.cascademedia.net/products.asp?catid=133&prodid=677

3/8">5/8"      http://www.cascademedia.net/products.asp?catid=133&prodid=678

jr

i'd post a pic, but my stand is in the mail on it's way back
« Last Edit: September 25, 2004, 10:55:00 AM by John R »
we all live downstream.

BobW

« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2004, 03:11:08 AM »
i believe you guys may be looking for these:

1/4"-20>3/8"    http://www.cascademedia.net/products.asp?catid=133&prodid=677

3/8">5/8"      http://www.cascademedia.net/products.asp?catid=133&prodid=678

jr

i'd post a pic, but my stand is in the mail on it's way back

No, actually it's this, the 3102, that I needed. The 5/8" stud is topped with this clamp-on 3/8" threaded stud for a T-Bar or a "Bomiba" 3/8" to 5/8" adapter (your second pic) to support the Shure vert bar.

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
    • My cd List
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2004, 08:42:52 AM »
So the 3373 is black and is topped with a 5/8 non threaded stud which needs the above adapter to get a 3/8 thread on it, then a 3/8>5/8 adapter to get a Shure bar on it.

The 3353 is metal colored and topped with a 1/4 thread, so it needs a 1/4>3/8 and a 3/8>5/8 adapter to get a Shure bar on it.

The only difference between the two is what the color is and what the brass mount on the top is.
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2004, 08:56:24 AM »
probably different height stands

Offline johnw

• My cd List
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2004, 09:18:29 AM »
I don't think so - if you look at the specs they are the same and if you go to the bogen website and look up the 3353, it says
"Also available in Black Anodized Aluminum: Order Code 3373"

3373 http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home;jsessionid=BWBwmRCNwT!-2138342476?O=NavBar&A=getItemDetail&Q=&sku=5602&is=REG&si=spec#goto_itemInfo Max height is 6.2"

3353 http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=NavBar&A=getItemDetail&Q=&sku=5585&is=REG&si=spec#goto_itemInfo max height is 74.8" or 6.2'
« Last Edit: September 26, 2004, 09:22:35 AM by johnw »
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2004, 09:34:50 AM »
ahh, i just figured the model numbers would be closer for the same thing that is a different color

Offline John R

• www.tapers.org
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2004, 10:10:24 AM »
i see, wierd that manfrotto would sell stands with different heads.  i too got this stand  http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=30080&item=3839877119&rd=1
and it does come with a head like this  http://www.manfrotto.com/product/templates/itemalone.php3?itemid=178  so both adapters were needed

cool thing about the adapter you've got is it ability to turn 90°, which would work well the the super clamp  http://www.tallyns.com/Bogen/SuperClamps.htm
we all live downstream.

Offline tibbsa

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2004, 10:37:05 AM »
So the 3373 is black and is topped with a 5/8 non threaded stud which needs the above adapter to get a 3/8 thread on it, then a 3/8>5/8 adapter to get a Shure bar on it.

The 3353 is metal colored and topped with a 1/4 thread, so it needs a 1/4>3/8 and a 3/8>5/8 adapter to get a Shure bar on it.

The only difference between the two is what the color is and what the brass mount on the top is.

I think that's about right.  

The one problem I'm having is finding the right adapters for the 3353.  1/4" > 3/8" is easy - #3111.  You then need a 3/8" M > 5/8"M adapter, which I can't find.  #3357 (part no 186) is described as "ADAPTER 3/8W F - 5/8 MALE", but if you look at the picture (link below) this doesn't seem to be what you get.  I don't know if the description or the picture is out of line.  

http://www.manfrotto.com/product/templates/itemalone.php3?itemid=142

edit: The archives say to get part 'BOMIBA' (or MIBA) to get from 3/8 F to 5/8 M, and this does show up on the www.bhphotovideo.com catalogue.  It does NOT appear in Manfrotto's catalogue, though, as best I can tell, hence the reason my supplier can't order it...?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2004, 10:46:01 AM by tibbsa »

Offline John R

• www.tapers.org
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2004, 11:04:57 AM »

I think that's about right.  

The one problem I'm having is finding the right adapters for the 3353.  1/4" > 3/8" is easy - #3111.  You then need a 3/8" M > 5/8"M adapter, which I can't find.  #3357 (part no 186) is described as "ADAPTER 3/8W F - 5/8 MALE", but if you look at the picture (link below) this doesn't seem to be what you get.  I don't know if the description or the picture is out of line.  

http://www.manfrotto.com/product/templates/itemalone.php3?itemid=142

edit: The archives say to get part 'BOMIBA' (or MIBA) to get from 3/8 F to 5/8 M, and this does show up on the www.bhphotovideo.com catalogue.  It does NOT appear in Manfrotto's catalogue, though, as best I can tell, hence the reason my supplier can't order it...?

http://www.cascademedia.net/products.asp?catid=133&prodid=678
we all live downstream.

Offline johnw

• My cd List
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2004, 11:15:29 AM »
Yeah I'd get the kind from cascade media (I got mine from micsupply and it looks about the same). It's better than the one pictured in the B&H site beacuse if you are threading a T bar like the AKG one, the T bar has something to stop it from just threading back off the other side of the adapter.

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2004, 12:40:22 PM »
get the black one if you can, works better for low profile, blends better with the average lighting at a show, the silver ones tend to stand out
In Tyler we Trust

BobW

« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2004, 04:57:12 PM »
3373 is definitely black, and definitely has unthreaded stud at top, so it needs the clamp to threaded adaptor

The Amazona stands are taller, wider, and heavier and have a 3/8" stud on top (top is made of Pot-Metal.....careful with those threads)
There's a black one with springiness and the aluminum-colored air cusioned model.

Offline Tim

« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2004, 09:32:38 PM »

The lightstands all retract legs up in a kinda pyramid, so partial retraction = smaller footprint, taller pyramid .
Nothing to cut.

What does one do with the brass light mount pin at the top ?
Does it come off ? (doesn't seem to turn without tools & I don't want to mess it up)
Do I need a clamp ?

I'm well aware. But when running FOB (which is what we use the 3373 for) you don't want to run higher.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2004, 01:02:23 AM »
you pussy tim :P ;D
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Tim

« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2004, 04:31:21 PM »
I'd rather pull a complete tape at head height than half a tape at just over head height ;D

BobW

« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2004, 05:19:35 PM »
 ;D   
We should put out "Sound Crew" tee shirts
or better yet, "Sound Crew - Quit Your Whining"
to help in FOB activities......

Offline rodeen

• Trade Count: (34)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Harmonica Man!
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2004, 06:50:19 PM »
Is anyone familiar with Promaster stands?  I need to upgrade my stand to hold my new LD mics
and came across a Promaster LS-3 stand at a local photo shop.  Looks nice.  Light but study aluminum.
Extends to 9.5'

Here's a link:
http://www.promaster.com/products/productpage.asp?sm=sm2_Lightstands&dir=lightstands&product=6806
"It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"
[LMA]: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22odeen%22&sort=-date

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.187 seconds with 66 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com