Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: u87 v u89  (Read 12044 times)

RebelRebel

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: u87 v u89
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2006, 12:20:52 PM »
It was in an email to me personally, when I was asking him if he could modify it, like he does to the u87s. Its not on his forum , as far as I know. I just thought it was funny for him to say that when many others love the mic. Maybe its because he cant mod it?I might still have it in my email. (Yahoo expunges yearly, so I dont know) 
I disagree.  But then again, I'm biased.

Bill Bradley thinks they're very nice mics (considering they're not old tube mics!)  At least that's what he told me on the phone last week.  Maybe he was just being nice?   ;)

I read Klaus forums religiously. Klaus hates the u89, and calls it a "dog" of a mic. Oh well ;D

I've not seen this anywhere on his forum.  Can you provide a link?  I'm wondering in what context he would say this.

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2006, 12:24:12 PM »
I've not seen this anywhere on his forum.  Can you provide a link?  I'm wondering in what context he would say this.

probably in the same thread where he fluffs his custom Brauner VMF-1 KH microphone :P ;)

RebelRebel

« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2006, 12:25:25 PM »

probably in the same thread where he fluffs his custom Brauner VMF-1 KH microphone :P ;)

its only what 10-20,000. ;D

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2006, 12:26:53 PM »
It was in an email to me personally, when I was asking him if he could modify it, like he does to the u87s. Its not on his forum , as far as I know. I just thought it was funny for him to say that when many others love the mic. Maybe its because he cant mod it?I might still have it in my email. (Yahoo expunges yearly, so I dont know) 

Bill Bradley thinks they're very nice mics (considering they're not old tube mics!)  At least that's what he told me on the phone last week.  Maybe he was just being nice?   ;)

I read Klaus forums religiously. Klaus hates the u89, and calls it a "dog" of a mic. Oh well ;D

Interesting.  I've noticed several respected opinions on the Neumann pinboard referring to a lack of modification capability for the U89 circuit.  One person even wrote "it's not possible to upgrade perfection" or something similar, but I'm pretty sure that was a Neumann employee!  It would not surprise me at all if his comment is based on the fact that there's not really much he can do to upgrade the mic.  It would be hard for me to believe that to be the case though.  I've never heard of a mic that was so well designed it couldn't be upgraded in some way.

Maybe I'll drop him a line and get his opinion on the U89 as well.  There is definitely a scarcity of information on line with regard to this mic, something I find very surprising considering it has been around for 26+ years...

Dirk
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline Brian

« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2006, 12:28:49 PM »

its only what 10-20,000. ;D

10 large last I heard.  One of my old audio teachers owns one.  He got it when it was only 7 grand.  He brought it in one time for a recording session.  Beautiful microphone.  Amazingly smooth sound.

Offline Brian

« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2006, 12:30:28 PM »
Klaus's forum has some funny rules.  Rule number one is you can only post about first hand esperience. no hearsay, "my eng friend said".  He deletes any post he deems that is off topic or not first hand experience.  it's a pretty brutal forum over there :P

RebelRebel

« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2006, 12:30:52 PM »
Yeah, email him at klaus@germanmasterworks.com
and id love to see his comments !l... I dont think he thought it was because of good design, but how design was implemented, made it impossible or REALLY difficult to upgrade. Tony Merril at SPAudio has the same difficulties, and thought that it would take A LOT of effort and nonstandard practices to get it modified, and that the modifications wouldnt make it that much better.

Teddy

Interesting.  I've noticed several respected opinions on the Neumann pinboard referring to a lack of modification capability for the U89 circuit.  One person even wrote "it's not possible to upgrade perfection" or something similar, but I'm pretty sure that was a Neumann employee!  It would not surprise me at all if his comment is based on the fact that there's not really much he can do to upgrade the mic.  It would be hard for me to believe that to be the case though.  I've never heard of a mic that was so well designed it couldn't be upgraded in some way.

Maybe I'll drop him a line and get his opinion on the U89 as well.  There is definitely a scarcity of information on line with regard to this mic, something I find very surprising considering it has been around for 26+ years...

Dirk

RebelRebel

« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2006, 12:32:52 PM »
Klaus's forum has some funny rules.  Rule number one is you can only post about first hand esperience. no hearsay, "my eng friend said".  He deletes any post he deems that is off topic or not first hand experience.  it's a pretty brutal forum over there :P

Yeah I know...pretty much the same folks always post. David Satz, Klaus, Bernhard Vollmer, Oliver Archut, and a couple others. Very interesting stuff , but really brutal.

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2006, 12:33:33 PM »

That's what makes it useful.  Just the facts man.  No fluffing without documentation.
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com