Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Audio Technica AT 853 RX or Core Sound Binaurals opinions or suggestions please  (Read 10735 times)

Offline madman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
With 9v you can record a jet engine from 2".
What kind of playback system you using for that  :D

Offline Zaphod

• Taperssection All-Star
The Microphone Madness Sennheiser MKE40s sound very nice and will absolutly not distort, even if you just plug them directly into a Plug In Power Recorder.  They have a 138SPL rating with 3v PIP.   With 9v you can record a jet engine from 2".

The mics might not distort but I bet if you were only using plug in power from the JB3 or an MD I bet the internal pre would most definetly distort if the source was loud enough.
we are the people the rescuers will never find

Offline Zaphod

• Taperssection All-Star
I won a pair of 853s > mp-2 and love the combo.

Another vote here going for the AT853>MP2 combo sounds great!

Offline Sparge Master

• Needs to get out more...
    • Sparge Master's List

It sounds better with deschuttes > mouth combo
AT853Rx > MP-2 > modSBM1 > D8
7.5Gallon Pot > Sparging Bucket > 7.5Gallon Pot > Counter Flow Wort Chiller > 6.5Gallon Carboy > 5Gallon Carboy > Cornelius Keg > Tap > Glass > Mouth

Offline Zaphod

• Taperssection All-Star

It sounds better with deschuttes > mouth combo

:cheers: goddamn right +T!

Offline schoff

• Taperssection Newbie
If you run the rx's into a pre w/phantom, you won't need a power source.  If you have the cash, you might as well get a pre to start with since you will upgrade anyway.  We all do it, it's a sickness and we need help.

There are a couple of issues which are holding me back from the 853 RX`s

1. Cable: namely shortening. Presumably as soon as you cut the cable then you would invalidate the guarantee and secondary looking at illustrations on the net I`m getting the impression these cables are a lot thicker than the average 3-5 mm cable you might find on an I-pod or mini-disc headphone cable. As one of the setups I am playing with includes attaching them to a set of glasses and running the wires along the frame and down into my top pocket a thicker wire running down my neck might attract too much attention in medium to large venues

However I do like windorabug`s suggestion of a set of  Sennheiser MKE40s purly for their stealth qualities.

As for preamps the  Sound Devices MixPre is a great piece of kit but getting something approxametly the size of two cassette tapes it past security of a venue with security might prove to be problematic(Those bouncers in Glasgow, Manchester and London can be very scary people)

The Church preamps look great but I`m looking for something with led indicators to warn me of clipping etc. I will continue following the small stealth preamp thread in the Pre`s, A/D and Processors forum. though any suggestions as usual would be appreciated over here. Would the fact that I`m going to be using a M Audio Micro Tracker 24/96 (which comes complete with phantom power)  as my storage device have any bearing on the discussion?

Once again, thanks everybody for your time and imput

Schoff
« Last Edit: April 11, 2006, 08:52:46 AM by schoff »

cmoorevt

There are a couple of issues which are holding me back from the 853 RX`s

1. Cable: namely shortening. Presumably as soon as you cut the cable then you would invalidate the guarantee and secondary looking at illustrations on the net I`m getting the impression these cables are a lot thicker than the average 3-5 mm cable you might find on an I-pod or mini-disc headphone cable. As one of the setups I am playing with includes attaching them to a set of glasses and running the wires along the frame and down into my top pocket a thicker wire running down my neck might attract too much attention in medium to large venues

Schoff

Keeping in mind that I have never done it, the cable shortening seems quite easy.  AT even includes instructions on how to do it.  Look at the center, bottom of page one of the spec sheet.

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wired_mics/b95ae65cb5585585/index.html

Offline jeromejello

• Team Florida - always brings the heat
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • surly tapir
i run my AT853's in croakies on sunglasses and have no issues.... also the rx version (which is P48 ONLY) is the easiest one to modify the lenght.  it is a matter of no solder, just screwing the bare leads to the terminals inside the AT8531 adapters.  it does NOT void the warrantee when you shorten the leads (however, a retailer might not accept the return)

hope it helps

TEAM AT BABY!  ;D
open: mbho 603a (ka200n/ka500hn) > SD MP-2 > PCM-M10
stealth: AT853a (o/sc/c/h) > SD MP-2 > ihp120
misc: Earthworks SR77 | Shure VP88

bt & dime

Offline corsair

• Taperssection Regular
The Microphone Madness Sennheiser MKE40s sound very nice and will absolutly not distort, even if you just plug them directly into a Plug In Power Recorder.  They have a 138SPL rating with 3v PIP.   With 9v you can record a jet engine from 2".

Not sure if its jet engine... but with normal power, it shld get 143SPL... according to sennheiser specs..
Audio-Technica ES943/C's -> Home-made 3-wire battery box -> Tascam DR-07

Offline jcrab66

• Taperssection All-Star
Somthing which does concern me however is with is how easy is it to shortern the cabel length as 25`is a little excessive for a stealth rig.

its very simple to shorten the cable length, you can do it yourself with minimal effort. You just cut the cable to the length you want and strip a bit of wire and screw em into the modules. They are not solder connections although I did tin my shield and wires before hooking up...
mk4's / mk41's > nbox > Microtracker / HDP2

Offline schoff

• Taperssection Newbie
well with your informed observations it looks as if I`m going to end up with a pair of the 853`s.

easy to adapt and a small 3.2 mm diameter cable (which was another of my other concerns) they do look good

BTW. looking at the specs of your stealth rig jcrab66 it looks as if I have almost recreated the same setup

Offline jcrab66

• Taperssection All-Star

BTW. looking at the specs of your stealth rig jcrab66 it looks as if I have almost recreated the same setup

then you wont be disappointed, happy taping!
mk4's / mk41's > nbox > Microtracker / HDP2

Offline madman

• Taperssection Regular
I wouldn't put too much emphasis on a clipping light on a pre.  I know Chris posted elsewhere about why these generally aren't that useful, but I've been taping for years and have always relied on my levels on my recorders.  After awhile, you get a feeling for each venue that you'll tape in and will know what settings to go in there with.  I've had my MD levels show that I was clipping, but never had any distortion from that.  I just don't run as hot anymore and don't have to worry.  Experience and watching your levels are much more useful than a clip light, IMHO. 

Sounds like you decided on mics, you'll be happy w/them.

Offline schoff

• Taperssection Newbie
So having just ordered my 853 RX`s at the very reasonably $136.42 it only leaves me to thank everybody for their input and opinions.

Thanks

Schoff

http://www.fullcompass.com/products/pages/SKU--10074/index.html

Offline Sparge Master

• Sparge Master's List
Relax; have a brew. You will like the mics; I do.
AT853Rx > MP-2 > modSBM1 > D8
7.5Gallon Pot > Sparging Bucket > 7.5Gallon Pot > Counter Flow Wort Chiller > 6.5Gallon Carboy > 5Gallon Carboy > Cornelius Keg > Tap > Glass > Mouth

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com