Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Most "transparent" omni mic (for binaural): DPA406x? others?  (Read 11536 times)

Offline 2amuse

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Most "transparent" omni mic (for binaural): DPA406x? others?
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2007, 06:03:07 PM »
>I read that as the mics facing towards the stage on either side of the head in front of the ears.  If you remove the grid/boost tube from the mic, you'll see the tiny 406x capsule (a rectangular gold thing with holes on one side, normally hidden inside the housing & grill) actually points to the side, not directly forward... so the mic body is facing forward with the grills pointing towards the stage, but the body of the mic is rotated so that the hidden vents in the actual capsule are oriented to the outside, away from the head.<

That is the way I read it too but was thinking he was making a binaural recording.  I did not know that about the DPA construction.  I wonder if the CSB's are the same way.  Ray

« Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 06:04:41 PM by 2amuse »

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2007, 06:25:13 PM »
The Core HEB's are 4061's so they are the same.  I haven't seen the CSB's but they probably have the capsule facing forward like most mics do.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline 2amuse

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2007, 06:39:18 PM »
The Core HEB's are 4061's so they are the same.  I haven't seen the CSB's but they probably have the capsule facing forward like most mics do.

I am liking the sound from many 4061 concerts I have heard.  I am trying to understand what the "best" mic orientations for the 4061s might be.  Len's typical setup is very compact, both for his bi's and HEBs, no fuss, a solid batt box and the mics with solid connectors, that's it.  Can't get much simpler than that.  I have enjoyed the CSBs, they sound good and are quite forgiving.  Nicely finished too.

Offline davebl

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2007, 03:47:04 AM »
The best MS is from matched SDC's, I use Sennheiser MKH series or Shoeps for film work. Mismatched mics can work but dont have as good Mono or setero compatibility. Look at DMS also, some infor on the schoeps site for more info.

For the music work try Omni, figure 8 which is prefered, Placement is critical as always. MKH20/30 or Schoeps mk2h or 2s/mk8 would work well. Broad cardiod is next prefered, Shopes mk21h/mk8. using Cardiod MKH20/30. Schoeps mk4/mk8 set ups are fine, this will reject more room and will be of use for more film work rather than orchastral set ups. Hyper or super cardioid set ups, MKH 50/60 and 30 or Schopes CMIT or hyper carioud is ok for dialogue for Film work but definitly not for Atmos or wildtracks as the resultant stero is not good.

Dave
UK

Offline shaggy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • dwonk
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2007, 04:59:39 AM »
>I read that as the mics facing towards the stage on either side of the head in front of the ears.  If you remove the grid/boost tube from the mic, you'll see the tiny 406x capsule (a rectangular gold thing with holes on one side, normally hidden inside the housing & grill) actually points to the side, not directly forward... so the mic body is facing forward with the grills pointing towards the stage, but the body of the mic is rotated so that the hidden vents in the actual capsule are oriented to the outside, away from the head.<

Yep, the vents are where the capsule faces 'forward'.  These I always have pointed out perpendicular to the stage, cliped with the DPA clips onto my glasses just behind my temples.  This, I believe, is 'true' binaural.  There is some directionality to this with respect to the higher frequencies (like 8KHz and above) but I think it is only down 8-10dB at the rear.  I know some people who work it so the vents face forward, but it is trickier to do it that way.

Noticed the total downloads on this old 6-28-2004 Yamagata torrent of mine clicked up about 30-40 more in the last two weeks!  Hope you all like it!

Online Gutbucket

« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2007, 09:18:57 AM »
Yep, the vents are where the capsule faces 'forward'.  These I always have pointed out perpendicular to the stage, cliped with the DPA clips onto my glasses just behind my temples.  This, I believe, is 'true' binaural.  There is some directionality to this with respect to the higher frequencies (like 8KHz and above) but I think it is only down 8-10dB at the rear.  I know some people who work it so the vents face forward, but it is trickier to do it that way.

Noticed the total downloads on this old 6-28-2004 Yamagata torrent of mine clicked up about 30-40 more in the last two weeks!  Hope you all like it!

"True" binaural would have the mic capsules inside your ear canal, incorporating the effect of your external ear or 'pina'.  That's in contrast to the glasses mounted technique most refer to as HRTF (head related transfer function).

I'm one of the 30-40.  She's talented, thanks & nice work.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline grider

• Trade Count: (6)
  • always give more than you take
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2007, 09:25:31 AM »
per Bruce Myers of DPA USA, it does not matter what direction the mics are pointed, front/back/up/down will all produce the same recording, exactly; that said, pointed up toward the ceiling, similar to a large diaphram mic like the AKG 414, is my preference

Online Gutbucket

« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2007, 10:05:37 AM »
per Bruce Myers of DPA USA, it does not matter what direction the mics are pointed, front/back/up/down will all produce the same recording, exactly; that said, pointed up toward the ceiling, similar to a large diaphram mic like the AKG 414, is my preference

That's the official line.  Others here may claim there is a side to side bias.  What I know is that monitoring the signal directly from the MMA6000 with Etymotic ER-4S's and a small headphone amp, I notice a slight roll-off of the sparkly high end when moving off axis around the capsule towards the cable exit side.  I've tested this simply by rubbing my fingers together to get some high frequency 'ssss' noise (using the short boost grids on the 4060's) and moving them around the mic, while listening.

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2007, 10:44:32 AM »

That's the official line.  Others here may claim there is a side to side bias.  What I know is that monitoring the signal directly from the MMA6000 with Etymotic ER-4S's and a small headphone amp, I notice a slight roll-off of the sparkly high end when moving off axis around the capsule towards the cable exit side.  I've tested this simply by rubbing my fingers together to get some high frequency 'ssss' noise (using the short boost grids on the 4060's) and moving them around the mic, while listening.
That is what the specs say too (look at the polar plot, say 15kHz and above).  Looking at the plot, it seems the most "stable" part is with capsules pointing perpendicular to sound source.  By "stable" I mean the response changes the least as you change the angle to the sound source.  I have not tried these capsules (yet) though.

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.059 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com