Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: SP-CMC-4U mics from Sound Professionals  (Read 13526 times)

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: SP-CMC-4U mics from Sound Professionals
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2007, 01:14:12 PM »
So everyone jumped on the battery box bandwagon, There was a decrease in distortion but it was primarily from connecting the mic to the LINE INPUT, and secondarily because of the use of a voltage over 5 volts. There has been talk about increasing the voltage to 12 or 15 volts that does not do shit for distortion percentages in most electret capsules.

Chris

So I originally had a pair of CMC-8s that loved to distort at high SPL.  I decided to get the three wire done (by hyper-plane) and using the 9v battery box, I still get a little distortion, but it isnt nearly as bad.  I wonder if there might be something up with my mics (maybe i need to clean them or something?).  I am running CMC-8s (3-wire mod) > 9v battery box (3-wire) > MT 24/96 (mic in).

Now, one thing I thought of was using a 12v battery instead.   I wonder if those little mini 9volts are too weak for the mics (at least for the amount of time I need to use them for).  Any thoughts Chris?

I am always amazed at how some people say their CMC-8s never distort, yet mine will.

Three wire reduces the distortion of these mics to about 4% at 114db.. My mod reduces the output of the capsule by a further 4db from three wire, but it decreases the distortion down to 0.5% at 114db! so when you combine my mod with a good preamp you get very good signal to noise ratio and very good spl handling. So you lose some gain but you gain some headroom. This mod should not be done for people that want to do nature recording but I suspect most people that want to do nature recording would want to go to a DPA 4060. And not use a cardioid at all.

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2007, 01:29:13 PM »
So everyone jumped on the battery box bandwagon, There was a decrease in distortion but it was primarily from connecting the mic to the LINE INPUT, and secondarily because of the use of a voltage over 5 volts. There has been talk about increasing the voltage to 12 or 15 volts that does not do shit for distortion percentages in most electret capsules.

Chris

So I originally had a pair of CMC-8s that loved to distort at high SPL.  I decided to get the three wire done (by hyper-plane) and using the 9v battery box, I still get a little distortion, but it isnt nearly as bad.  I wonder if there might be something up with my mics (maybe i need to clean them or something?).  I am running CMC-8s (3-wire mod) > 9v battery box (3-wire) > MT 24/96 (mic in).

Now, one thing I thought of was using a 12v battery instead.   I wonder if those little mini 9volts are too weak for the mics (at least for the amount of time I need to use them for).  Any thoughts Chris?

I am always amazed at how some people say their CMC-8s never distort, yet mine will.

Three wire reduces the distortion of these mics to about 4% at 114db.. My mod reduces the output of the capsule by a further 4db from three wire, but it decreases the distortion down to 0.5% at 114db! so when you combine my mod with a good preamp you get very good signal to noise ratio and very good spl handling. So you lose some gain but you gain some headroom. This mod should not be done for people that want to do nature recording but I suspect most people that want to do nature recording would want to go to a DPA 4060. And not use a cardioid at all.

Chris

I don't know about your measurement methodology, Chris, but three-wire and your "4.7k" mod should be similar in terms of distortion.  Also, you will notice that most wiring diagrams, like AT8533 power modules, AKG CK1000, CK9x, etc. all use three-wire powering of the FET, so I am not the only one who thinks this is the correct circuit!  I agree with you that the 4.7k mod "throws away" some possible gain (the 4dB you report), but it is useful for at least two reasons: 1) it allows the mic to be powered with two wires only (saves wiring complexity), 2) it allows you to use "standard" two wire battery boxes (eg., 1/8" miniplug).  I have pretty much converted all of my mics to two-wire/4.7k mod for this reason.

OK, to all you doubters out there.  You may think your mics are not distorting.  But even at moderate levels, there is something there.  Change to three wire or 4.7k mod and you *will* see an improvement in sound quality, even at moderate volumes.  You might not hear it, but it is there...

Oh yeah, as far as the DPA406x, there is a lot going on inside that capsule.  I *think* there is some kind of active circuit (one or more buffer transistors).  In addition to handling overload with only two wires, this mic has some kind of impedance converter so it can drive long cables and/or low impedance inputs, like transformer input preamps.  I have not taken one apart though, so I don't know exactly what is inside.  Any volunteers, lol??

Richard
« Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 01:35:42 PM by poorlyconditioned »
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2007, 01:41:05 PM »

Chris

Chris

I don't know about your measurement methodology, Chris, but three-wire and your "4.7k" mod should be similar in terms of distortion.  Also, you will notice that most wiring diagrams, like AT8533 power modules, AKG CK1000, CK9x, etc. all use three-wire powering of the FET, so I am not the only one who thinks this is the correct circuit!  I agree with you that the 4.7k mod "throws away" some possible gain (the 4dB you report), but it is useful for at least two reasons: 1) it allows the mic to be powered with two wires only (saves wiring complexity), 2) it allows you to use "standard" two wire battery boxes (eg., 1/8" miniplug).  I have pretty much converted all of my mics to two-wire/4.7k mod for this reason.

OK, to all you doubters out there.  You may think your mics are not distorting.  But even at moderate levels, there is something there.  Change to three wire or 4.7k mod and you *will* see an improvement in sound quality, even at moderate volumes.  You might not hear it, but it is there...

Oh yeah, as far as the DPA406x, there is a lot going on inside that capsule.  I *think* there is some kind of active circuit (one or more buffer transistors).  In addition to handling overload with only two wires, this mic has some kind of impedance converter so it can drive long cables and/or low impedance inputs, like transformer input preamps.  I have not taken one apart though, so I don't know exactly what is inside.  Any volunteers, lol??

Richard

Hey Richard they are very similar but there is a least with the circuit I was using to test a difference with the AT 853 I did not test the three wire vs my mod with any other mic. So I should quantify my statement that I found with the AT-853 vs my 4.7k mod that there was still more distortion in the 4.7k mod then in the three wire using the circuit I built. Based on your schematic.

for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2007, 02:49:23 PM »

Chris

I am sure MY sp-cmc-8 cards would DISTORT if i taped the same show at the same venue at the same spot WITH you ;).
For really loud indoor rock shows(pearl jam, chili peppers) I always use my sennheiser MM-HLSC-1 cardioids. Am sure they would also distort if I stood in front of the PA...or the soundguy has severe ear-damage yet and fires 120 or 130dB into the audience;).
1st: SONY PCM-M10 + DPA 4060's + DPA MPS 6030 power supply (microdot)
2nd: iPhone 5 + "Rode iXY" microphone/"Zoom IQ5" microphone

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2007, 05:05:23 PM »
Am sure they would also distort if I stood in front of the PA

I doubt it.  I threw some serious SPL's at the HLSC's, no distortion. Jet engine approved...
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Alchemy

« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2007, 07:10:29 PM »
I have a Knopfler tape that was done near the stacks with the HLSC's and when listening closely, you can definitely hear some slight bits of bass distortion in parts. He was running with two wire with a battery box. It's all about location...location...location...I think.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 07:13:12 PM by Alchemy »

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2007, 10:49:18 AM »
I have a Knopfler tape that was done near the stacks with the HLSC's and when listening closely, you can definitely hear some slight bits of bass distortion in parts. He was running with two wire with a battery box. It's all about location...location...location...I think.
I feel most on the safe side with my sennheisers at loud amplified indoor arena rock shows.
the sp-cmc-8 cards sound crystal clear BUT too thin IMHO.
The Sennheiser HLSC(MKE40´s) sound coloured but good, with more punch behind the sound.

Right now my Sennheiser MM-HLSO omnis(MKE-2s) are my favourite Mics both regarding sound and size ;).

Offline roggae

• Taperssection Regular
  • "Gay for Trey"
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2007, 02:46:36 PM »
I want a pair of the HLSO or the DPA4060. 

I wonder if the DPA's are worth the price compared to the HLSO?
mlsc1->iRiver

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2007, 06:44:31 AM »
I had the chance to test "old" 4.7k modded AT853s(SP-CMC-4) for some days.
The strange thing I realized was almost no separation between left and right mic.
When I spoke into the left mic(right mic was far away) both indicators on the levelmeter bounced up to almost the same level?!
Is this a result of the 4.7k mod?
The 4.7k mod on these mics was done within the 3.5mm plug and not within the capsules.
I could see 1 small resistor when i opened the plug.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2007, 06:47:48 AM by Arni99 »

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2007, 06:52:59 AM »
I had that same problem arni.  My mod was originally done using 1 resistor in the mini plug sharing the yellow wire.  In theory the signals should not combine, but they do.  I had the mod redone with 2 resistors, one on each yellow and the results are fantastic...  You must match the resistors.
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2007, 08:23:54 AM »
Am sure some "masters of soldering" can explain why signals are combined and not separated when using 1 resistor only ;).

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com