Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 'DFC' ... what does it stand for?  (Read 16396 times)

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: 'DFC' ... what does it stand for?
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2008, 11:15:24 AM »
I don't mean to be a malcontent in this thread, but to me all this measuring is beyond anal and is totally unnecessary, but then again if it floats yer boat, go for it.  The soundcheck is gonna be different every night, the mix is gonna be different for every show, so what's the point?  Every night the sound is different and, if I understand the way sound interacts in air when it comes out of two point sources, the sweet spot will therefore be different. 

S0, if you're so precise with measuring the exact number of feet and inches from each speaker (such as by using a laser measuring tool) then how can you possibly ensure that say three different soundguys on three different nights are gonna make sure the balance out of each stack is the same each night, the mix out of each is the same, etc?

The answer to me is that the best method is _still_ to get there early and TRY to find and setup in the sweet spot during the warm-up band and then hope that it doesn't change for the headliner.  But in the end, unless you're able to move your stand around during the headlining show, finding and locating the sweetest sounding spot on any given night is totally determined by luck.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 11:20:22 AM by tonedeaf »

Offline Krispy D

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • my recordings on LMA
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2008, 11:24:39 AM »
I have to disagree...  while you are correct there are so many variables that to some a couple of measurements seem pointless, the better your notes and the more practice you have at ANYTHING the less luck will play a role.  If you can consistently make good tapes with good mic placement, than you are good at what you do. not lucky.
Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage-earner by pulling down the wage-payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.
~Rev. William J. H. Boetcker (not Lincoln)

stevetoney

« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2008, 12:49:29 PM »
If you can consistently make good tapes with good mic placement, than you are good at what you do. not lucky.

True.  Lucky was too strong a word to use in my previous post.  Lets face it though, the sweetest spot in the venue is not the same night after night after night because of what I was saying before.  Sure, if you consistently are in a spot that sounds good, then you're playing the odds and you're gonna get consistently nice sounding recordings because we all know that mic placement is only one of many variables to getting good sound, albeit one of the most important. 

But my point is that measuring to feet and inches I think is overkill in respect to that, because you simply can't say that every night the sweetest spot in the joint is gonna be in the exact same location.  Close maybe, but not down to the point where IMHO measuring feet and inches is more justified than say 'eyeballing' your favorite spot or just listening for where that spot might be.

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2008, 11:20:31 AM »
Unless its the same band in the same exact venue with the same exact PA system and the exact same audience with the same temperature and humidity oh yeah lets not forget about the sound man as well oh yeah one more thing the stage volume..... measuring anything is pointless.. Why because if you change anyone of the things I mentioned you are going to drastically change the sweet spot. The best way to find any sweet spot is not with a laser beam but with your fucking ears. That's why you have them... Now sometimes you cant use your ears then you have to rely on the sound guy to give you a good idea of where he thinks the sweet spot is. But chances are you cant put a mic there anyway. So I say for most small shows with a good sounding mix. Slightly off center to the left or right about 20-40 feet back but again that's not writen in stone. And just because you had a good sound in a venue before with the same band and the same location does not mean that one of the above things has not changed. Room acoustics being what they are they are less of a factor when your very close to the PA system and anything less then 50 feet is very close IMO and you will be less subjected to room acoustics because you are in the direct field of the PA system. The closer you get the the source of your sound the better your recordings will be on average because you will be relying less on the room to get your sound and more on the source. Now for acoustic shows or shows where you want the room the reverse applies.

Chris
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 11:23:11 AM by Church-Audio »
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline itook2much

• Taperssection All-Star
  • AKA rspencer
    • my masters
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2008, 07:40:20 PM »
For an SRO venue or an outdoor show, I list distance from the stage, from center, & occasionally from the board.  Mainly for my own reference.

In a reserved seating venue, I list section, row, & seat.  Again, for my own reference, if for nothing else than to determine where it sounds best generally, in order to attempt to get the best seats (for me).

I stealth primarily, so those row or seat numbers might not be completely accurate, but they're close enough. ;)
DPA 4060 (CS HEB) > CS BB > Edirol R-09

Backups:  DPA 4060 (1/8"), SP-BMC-2, SP-SPSB-6, Sony MZ-NH1

Quote from: tomluvsgiants
rule #1 - get the show taped
rule #2 - see rule #1    >:D

Quote from: Grace Hopper
“If it's a good idea, go ahead and do it. It's much easier to apologize than it is to get permission.”

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.069 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com