Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: EDIROL R-44 (PART IV)  (Read 115767 times)

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I LIKE FISHIN
EDIROL R-44 (PART IV)
« on: June 15, 2009, 02:34:59 PM »
continue....
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 02:38:06 PM by NOLAfishwater »

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: EDIROL R-44 (PART IV)
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 02:49:14 PM »
Present.

Have not updated firmware yet but look forward to making use of the improved markers.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Scooter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 03:02:05 PM »
MBHO 603a(ka200n/ka500hn) >
R-44, or H120

LMA Recordings

Offline sanaka

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Perpetual n00b
    • My first Dead show
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 03:09:16 PM »
bippity

Offline Colin Liston

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 06:05:31 PM »
checking in.....
Occasionally....music mics record

Offline leehookem

• Trade Count: (3)
    • Texas Tapers
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 10:11:17 PM »
howdy
www.texastapers.org

AKG c480b ck61/ck63 > Tascam DR-70D
Oade ACM Marantz PMD-671
AKG ck61/63 > NBob Actives > Naiant PFA > Tascam DR-70D
Oade ACM Marantz PMD-671
Audiophile 2496 > Mytek Stereo96 DAC > Sony MDR-7506
Dual 1229 > Marantz 2270 > Kimber Kables > Cerwin Vega VS120

Canon Rebel XSi, EF 50 mm f/1.8, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS

Offline cybergaloot

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Poohbah!
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 10:38:14 PM »
thump thump
--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

kirk97132

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2009, 08:04:36 PM »
FWIW, I recently ran a pair of 44's as a master slave set up.  The second one didn't even start near close to the first.  I'd say about 2-3 seconds later.  But the two clocks on the units were the same or at least close enough I couldn't tell the difference so it was just a matter of sliding the files of the second unit to match the first.  I was suprised that the lag in start times was so different. 

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2009, 10:56:55 PM »
FWIW, I recently ran a pair of 44's as a master slave set up.  The second one didn't even start near close to the first.  I'd say about 2-3 seconds later.  But the two clocks on the units were the same or at least close enough I couldn't tell the difference so it was just a matter of sliding the files of the second unit to match the first.  I was suprised that the lag in start times was so different. 

...did you have pre-record on in one of the units?

digifish
- What's this knob do?

J.T.L

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2009, 12:02:16 AM »
from the manual (pg.73)...

* Remote linking does not guarantee the exact same REC start time.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 12:04:01 AM by J.T.L »

Offline dmonkey

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2009, 12:28:12 AM »
checkin' in
MK4's, KM140's or MC930's >  Tinybox or Aerco MP-2 > R-09, M-10, R-44 (Oade CM) or MixPre-6

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2009, 06:24:20 AM »
A colleague gets the same time difference every time he starts his two R-44's, and I think it's measurable in milliseconds rather than seconds.

Here's an extract from some emails -

"The two units were set up identically, except for one being nominated Master and one Slave.  They were connected with a stereo cable of the type used for ipods and the like, as specified by Edirol.   Results.  The tracks were set up as a project in Sonar, where the horizontal scale was expanded until the steps of each wave were clearly visible.  This showed that:

1. There is a time lag between tracks on the master and on the slave of 0.3 milliseconds, repeatable exactly in the three tests.
   2. Tracks remained perfectly in synch after recording for half an hour.

Conclusion.  For my purposes, near perfection."

Here he's running two R-44's in sync and seeing what happens at the 2GB file limit -

"With the recorders running at 4CHx1, 24/96 the files closed right on cue at 00:31:04.021 and about 0.3 ms.  They started new files, perfectly in synch, with the new files starting about 0.15ms ahead of the closure of the completed files.  This happened on each machine, perfectly in synch.

Auditioning of the sound files after I dragged the second file into the original file's track showed no glitch or problem of any sort. "

kirk97132

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2009, 09:26:33 AM »

...did you have pre-record on in one of the units?

digifish

Ah, ya know I never thought of that.  It was a borrowed deck and I never even looked at that setting.  Good call. I'd bet that was it.  Next time I get a chance to try it I'll remember to check prerecord.  Thanx!

Offline skotdee

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2009, 11:25:46 AM »
Checking in, got to try out a new Oade CM R-44 over the weekend at Bonnaroo, LOVE this deck, probably the easiest recoreder I've ever used. A couple notes on my experience so far:

• Using a batterygeek 10-14-100 12v battery with a ratshack adaptacable & two "M" tips (reverse polarity on the R-44 side) with NO problems. I've run it 6-8+ hours without even losing one light on the power meter. I keep duracell 2650 nimh rechargeables in the unit as backup or just to run if I need to start it quickly or listen after the shows. They work great.

• Using PNY & Transcend class 4 16GB SDHC cards with NO issues.

• After reading extensively and even emailing Doug about the proper level setting debate, I decided to go with Edirol's directions and set the inner (smooth) knob at 12:00 and adjust gain with the outer (clicky) knob, which I turns out I also ended up setting at 12:00 to get levels peaking around -12 to -6db. After the first show, I never touched either knob again for all the shows I taped, except for Del McCoury's bluegrass set which I had to kick it up another click. All this was done with NO clipping whatsoever on the gain stage, I never got the "blinking" channel name, and my recordings sound amazing. This is how I will continue to set levels, I doubt I'll ever touch the inner (smooth) knob.

Just a few thoughts, again, LOVE this recorder and will be sticking with it for quite a while...

Offline skotdee

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2009, 12:21:51 PM »
can anyone explain to me how to delete the blank files from ch1&2 when using just mod'd ch3&4 and havibg to run stereo x 2 to utilize the mod' ch's
stuck at the Roo and can't figure it out. 2 other r44 users here who can't figure it out either
you should have had channels 1and2 modded if you were only planning on running 2 channels with mics b/c when you select Stereo x 1 it only activates channels 1 & 2. So you must record in Stereo x 2 in order to utilize your modded channels. I assume you are having an issue with not having enough memory on your card to cover all 4 ch.
or he has different mods
some people have warm on 1/2 and trans on 3/4 (not sure if those are the correct terms but you prob know what i mean)

I was one of those trying to figure this out for Dustin at the Roo. Regarding the mods, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Oade Concert Mod upgrade all 4 channels, not just 3 & 4? Also it is my understanding Busman doesn't do the hybrid (warm on 1 & 2 and Trans on 3 & 4) with the R-44 due to size restraints. His webite lists a transparency mod on all 4 as the only option. I communicated with him before buying mine and he described it as actually a mix between the vintage (warm) and transparent mods, but made no mention of the hybrid...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com