Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: sbd dat feed -> camcorder mic input  (Read 5506 times)

Offline taperroy

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
Re: sbd dat feed -> camcorder mic input
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2006, 03:56:11 PM »
it was a cheapie sony cam.....
  guess i should have posted a follow-up....

i plugged sbd +4 xlrs into my dap1, and then a line from my headphone output into the mic input on the video camera. ran the volume at about 3.5 and it came out really nice.

i also run a sony ccd-vx3 video camera at times, and when im doing this, i usually have full permissions, and run a svhs line out of the camera, into a home svhs deck, and then  rca line out of my dat deck into the rca audio in on the home deck. ive done lots of archive work for the milwaukee irish fest this way, and seems to have worked well for the last 3 years for me. the svhs home deck, also has adjustable audio recording levels.

im thinking now of upgrading into a nicer video camera, with the lowerinf prices on dv cams, but its essential that i be able to run a sbd feed into it  ...(even if i need a dat deck in the line to calm the  +4 signal down)

Offline eman

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Return of the Shredi
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2006, 05:22:27 PM »
I found this site on a search:
http://www.tkk.fi/Misc/Electronics/circuits/line_to_mic.html

Line level signal to microphone input adapter
Sometimes there is need to convert line level signals to such signal that it can be connected to microphone input. Because the line level signals are typically in range of 0.5..2V and the microphone signals are in millivolt range, quite much attenuation is needed to match the signal levels. This means that typically you will need 40-50 dB of attenuation.

40 dB PAD
Consumer audio line (-10dBu) level to microphone matching can be done using a "40 dB L-pad attenuator". This circuit is indeed quite simple:

+Line level input -----R1----+-- +Mic level output
                             |
                  +----R2----+
                  |
Ground (input)----+--------------- Ground (output)

R1 = 10 kohm
R2 = 100 ohm

Circuit technical data:
Attenuation: 40 dB
Input impedance: 10 kohm
Output impedance: 100 ohm
Input signal: Unbalanced line level input
Output: Unbalanced microphone output

I would think this would take care of the need for using the headphone out or a Beachtek type of device. Maybe Todd will make something for us to buy. Something cool would be an SVU-1 or 2 mod that passed through a mic-in level signal on the other side.
Theologically speaking, the two parties have divided the Seven Deadly Sins as follows: Republicans oppose lust, sloth and envy; Democrats scorn gluttony, greed, wrath and pride. Little progress is reported. -Gene Lyons

Offline ethan

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Go Buffs!
    • COTapers.org
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2006, 05:54:04 PM »
I think just plain old High Z -> Low Z line transformers would do the trick.

http://www.bswusa.com/proditem.asp?item=MIT129
COtapers.org - "We're higher than your average taper"

Offline eman

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Return of the Shredi
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2006, 12:37:29 PM »
I'm thinking this is probably the same thing in a nice package. I found a cheap SVU and I will either run a mini out with the resistor package or buy the line transformer and a splitter. The SVU conveniently mounts under the camera and it will be nice to have levels up there.
Thanks for the link.
Theologically speaking, the two parties have divided the Seven Deadly Sins as follows: Republicans oppose lust, sloth and envy; Democrats scorn gluttony, greed, wrath and pride. Little progress is reported. -Gene Lyons

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.061 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com