Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: A/D for cassette transfers?  (Read 2514 times)

Offline hobbes4444

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
A/D for cassette transfers?
« on: September 10, 2008, 11:58:18 AM »
So I did a bunch of transfers of some old analog masters about 2 years ago.  After burning some test cds, I really wasn't happy with the sound I was getting.  My set up is: Nak Cassette Deck 1 > Denon DE-70 EQ > Nomad JB3.  Most of my old analog masters were made with a Sony lavalier mic or an ECM-909 > Sony WM-D6C, and typically needed a bit of bass boost (hence the EQ).  The results of the transfer was fuller bass, but kind of harsh on the high end (I typically punched up the high end just a little on the Denon EQ, so I don't think it was the Denon causing the problem).  I was thinking, maybe I needed a better A/D converter than what the JB3 has to offer to possibly get a warmer sound.  So, any suggestions out there???

TIA
Dave
DPA 4061 (unmatched HEB and stock), AT933 hypercard caps (Sound Pro), Nak 300s, chopped Nak 300s
Denecke AD-20
Church 9100 mini XLR
D8, M1, R-09, MTII

Offline DeepCreatures

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
    • DeepCreatures Trading Home Page
Re: A/D for cassette transfers?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 12:21:54 PM »
i really love the results using a Bmp2+ UA-5:

Nak RX-505>Bmp2+ UA-5>harddrive

peace,
ts
Mics: AKG 480s (Ck-61, CK-62, CK-63); SP LSD2; Audix M1280Cs; CA STC-11; CSCs
Pre-Amps: T+ UA-5; W+ UA-5; Bmp2+ UA-5; SD MP-2; CA ST-9000
Recorders: Tascam ACM HD-P2; Sony PCM-D50; Sony M1 (x3); Tascam DA-P1; Sony MZ-RH10; Marantz PMD-430

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 12:43:47 PM »
You've got a good start by using an ADC outside of your computer.  I'd first try the following:

• ensure the cassette deck is in optimal condition
  • adjust azimuth for every cassette deck side
  • skip the in-line EQ
  • use the JB3 ADC

I don't know if you'll be able to get good levels running straight deck > JB3.  Try it and see.  If you're able to achieve good levels, compare the master to the digital transfer.  If they sound the same to you, you're in good shape.  If they don't sound the same, and you want to achieve better results, come back and help us understand what you don't like about your results.  The recommendations will probably be either <a> use a better / better condition cassette deck for playback or <b> use a better (preamp and) ADC.  I suspect <a> your cassette deck is fine, as long as it's in good condition.  One option for <b> is to use a different outboard ADC, like a UA5 (relatively inexpensive), that will allow you to adjust gain and provide higher quality ADC.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline hobbes4444

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 01:06:55 PM »
You've got a good start by using an ADC outside of your computer.  I'd first try the following:

• ensure the cassette deck is in optimal condition
  • adjust azimuth for every cassette deck side
  • skip the in-line EQ
  • use the JB3 ADC

I don't know if you'll be able to get good levels running straight deck > JB3.  Try it and see.  If you're able to achieve good levels, compare the master to the digital transfer.  If they sound the same to you, you're in good shape.  If they don't sound the same, and you want to achieve better results, come back and help us understand what you don't like about your results.  The recommendations will probably be either <a> use a better / better condition cassette deck for playback or <b> use a better (preamp and) ADC.  I suspect <a> your cassette deck is fine, as long as it's in good condition.  One option for <b> is to use a different outboard ADC, like a UA5 (relatively inexpensive), that will allow you to adjust gain and provide higher quality ADC.

Thanks Brian.  The cassette deck is in exc condition.  I do check with azimuth alignment each side, and it seems pretty spot on.  I'll go back to the masters and do a straight transfer and compare at some point.  I know I was able to bump up the output level on the Nak deck and/or adjust the levels on the JB3 to get into the -12 to -6 range.  Should I push the levels closer to 0?
DPA 4061 (unmatched HEB and stock), AT933 hypercard caps (Sound Pro), Nak 300s, chopped Nak 300s
Denecke AD-20
Church 9100 mini XLR
D8, M1, R-09, MTII

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 03:35:31 PM »
I do check with azimuth alignment each side, and it seems pretty spot on.

How are you verifying azimuth alignment? Do the masters have the test tone from the recorder?
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2008, 07:22:54 AM »
If you've got an R09 (listed in your sig), I would use that for 24bit A/D, then EQ in Audacity or equivalent.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 07:24:46 AM by SmokinJoe »
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2008, 12:56:35 AM »
what are your transferring? i have some ADs around here
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.065 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com