Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Amplifier suggestions for 4 ohm speakers  (Read 1710 times)

Offline dmonkey

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Amplifier suggestions for 4 ohm speakers
« on: October 04, 2008, 08:12:35 PM »
I recently got a pair of Polk LSi7 bookshelf speakers along with a Velodyne MiniVee sub. I'm currently using an older JVC amp to power these, but I'm concerned about its ability to handle the 4 ohm load and I'm wondering what else might be out there that would handle these speakers well. The JVC has the 4/8 ohm switch on the back, and it sounds okay, but...well...I have the upgrade bug.

My budget is in the ~$500 range for the amp. So far all I have seen in the stores are amps for home theater applications, with all kind of video upscaling and multi-channel surround sound features I don't need...I just want something for music playback.

Any suggestions on a reasonable amp in that approximate price range that would work for me?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 11:34:11 AM by dmonkey »
MK4's, KM140's or MC930's >  Tinybox or Aerco MP-2 > R-09, M-10, R-44 (Oade CM) or MixPre-6

Offline BC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Bongo Bongo
Re: Amplifier suggestions for 4 ohm speakers
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 10:58:59 AM »
I take it you mean an integrated amp or receiver, not a power amp?

If so, the Outlaw 2 channel looks good.
http://stereophile.com/integratedamps/306outlaw/

You might also want to check out NAD or Rotel in that price range.

And like Moke said, check audiogon.com under the "integrated amps" section.

Happy shopping!
In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 11:16:27 AM »
I enjoy my Music Hall Mambo for what it is.  Could be a little louder... but that's just me.
mics & cameras

Offline dmonkey

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 08:53:04 PM »
Thanks, folks. I hadn't really looked at Audiogon before, so thanks for the recommendation -- looks cool, and I'll definitely do some digging around on there.

Apologies for the initial question -- I realize now that it was very vague. Yes, I'm looking for an integrated amp or receiver (I'm not too good with this terminology stuff).

I did a little research over the weekend and found a couple of integrated amps that seem to get some praise: Onkyo A-9555, Rotel RX-1052, and the aforementioned Outlaw RR2150. I haven't looked at the Music Hall Mambo yet, but I'll check it out tonight. I really like what I'm reading about the Rotel unit, but I'm also digging the price and reviews on the Onkyo. Decisions, decisions. I guess I got some more research to do.  ;D

Thanks!!
MK4's, KM140's or MC930's >  Tinybox or Aerco MP-2 > R-09, M-10, R-44 (Oade CM) or MixPre-6

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com