Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Cooper CS 104 Mixers  (Read 6756 times)

Offline Karma

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Cooper CS 104 Mixers
« on: March 17, 2011, 12:55:46 PM »
HI Folks,
I have a chance to buy a Cooper CS 104 mixer. I'm having a difficult time finding user reports on them. Does anybody here have experience with them or at least have an opinion about them? What little I've found seems to indicate they are excellent mixers.

Thanks, Sparky
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 10:15:07 PM by Karma »

Offline gkatz

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Cooper CS 104 Mixers
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 01:05:54 PM »
definitely a nice looking machine

it does M/S as well? I like the vintage look

Offline Karma

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 09:14:27 AM »
HI gkatz,
Based on what I have read, a M/S decoder was available for channels 1 & 2 as an option. I don't know if the one I am looking at has it. I need to find out. Also, it appears that Cooper is out of business. Wonder why?

Sparky
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 09:17:03 AM by Karma »

Offline gkatz

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 07:06:26 PM »
Yea according to this page they recommend Vark Audio on the East Coast and Forrest Forbes c/o Coffey Sound on the West Coast for service and repairs. maybe these places could give you more information.

It looks like the MS decoder, along with a 4 channel direct out, were both optional features.

Offline Karma

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 11:27:20 AM »
HI gkatz,
You are right about the options. I have been in contact with Cooper (they still supply support) as well as some of their former dealers. I bought the Cooper and it is supplied with the channel direct option but no M/S decoder. However, the M/S decoder is still available as a kit for $245 from either Cooper direct or their dealers and it can be retrofit. I'm going to buy one today.

I have my new (to me) CS104 mixer in my hot little hands. It is very impressive. Small, quiet, portable, and battery powered if desired. It's very well thought out and built like a tank. Clearly, it is a top of the heap component. I'm very happy.

Sparky

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 10:35:27 PM »
AWESOME ;D Can't wait to hear some recordings w/ it. Be sure to come back and post some samples for us to drool over ;)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline rlsound

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 07:35:31 PM »
Andy Cooper built great mixers. They are built for film and television production in mind. Andy retired so hence they went out of business. It wasn't because they were lacking in sales!

Offline Karma

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 09:19:29 AM »
HI RL,
Thanks for the input. I'm actually buying two CS 104 mixers. My plan is to take advantage of their link feature to give me up to eight quality channels each of which can set for line or microphones sources. The second one should be here today. With this arrangement I'll be able to have a variety of portable options ranging from 2 channels with just the Nagra Ares BB+ recorder to four channels with one Cooper to eight channels with both CS 104's linked. All can be battery or AC powered. I need to build some cables to get the link feature to work.

I want to give Trew Audio a big cheer. Ken Adams at Trew has been extremely helpful. He has been in constant contact with me concerning the questions I have. Everything from answering questions, to building a dual CS 104 power supply, to selling me a CS 104 that was exactly as described (and works),  to shipping on time has been first rate. I would urge any of you to do business with this great company. I have absolutely no affiliation with Trew other than as a very satisfied customer.

Sparky

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 06:26:02 PM »
2 Coopers and a Nagra?  Not knocking the quality at all but for the money you're spending you're might be better off going with a Sound Devices 788T.  Then not only will you have 8 channels, but they will all be separate.  Mixing on the fly is risky and not really all that easy to do in most situations.
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

kirk97132

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2011, 07:40:06 PM »
are you adding additional mics to the AKG C-1000's you have or is this primarily planned to utilize line inputs from a house mixing console?  I concur with the "mixing on the fly" which can be fraught with pitfalls.

Offline Karma

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2011, 08:11:29 AM »
HI,
Thanks for your comments. Yes, I will be mixing on the fly. I do realize it is risky but do-able. I really don't have a good reason for my choice except I like the challenge. I may find that that I can't manage it consistently. If so, I'll change my kit. Right now I want the experience.

And yes, I'll be adding mics to the setup but slowly. Man, buying mics is difficult when I don't have any experience with any of them. If I talk to 100 recordists, I get 100 different answers. Everyone has their favorites and it varies according to what is being recorded. It's all very confusing and mistakes can be expensive. So, I'm researching the problem. But, as you know, there is nothing like hands on experience. Buying from spec sheets is a bad way to do it. Specs are important but they really don't define what the mic really sounds like. So, what's a boy to do? I'm looking at Rode mics as a relatively inexpensive solution for the moment. I am trying to be careful but, ultimately, buying mics is a gamble.

Not only are the technical specs an issue but also taste in sound which varies from person to person. I'm trying to buy used when it makes sense so I can trade without loosing much money. So far, I only have the AKG C1000's which, BTW, are not terrible. After our last fiasco on this forum, I expected them to to be terrible but they are not. But I want perfect which they are not. Perfect is beyond my monetary reach at the moment. And, just what is perfect? Are any of them perfect? I'd guess not. Ah, questions. questions, questions.

How did you solve this problem when you were just starting out?

Sparky

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2011, 09:25:37 AM »
Since you have AKG C1000s, search the internet for shows that have multiple sources including the C1Ks. Then listen to some of the other sources to hear the differences. Listen to more shows, then listen to even more shows. Eventually you'll find that a particular model mic or mic>pre combination is most pleasing to you. That is the least expensive way to compare mics, it only costs you time. Other options are borrow or rent other mics and see how they differ from the C1Ks and what you like/dislike about each model.

Welcome to the world of upgraditis.

Offline Karma

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2011, 10:03:24 AM »
HI Flip,
Oh, I can assure you that I understand the world of upgrades and that's why it scares me. I am an audiophile of long standing. Since the mid sixties I have been constantly upgrading my audio systems until about 20 years ago when I finally found the magic combination. Since than I've only added some minor changes. I know well that the only way to know what I am getting is to listen to it. That means listening to it in my own system. That is the only way. Buying used is a good way of trying stuff I can sell at no loss if I don't like it. This presumes a good knowledge of what's out there to begin with. There has to be a starting point and knowledge of the field is it. Otherwise, one can find themselves swimming in an endless ocean of gear with no compass.

And I have made some expensive mistakes. This happens mostly when my ear latches onto a particular sonic aspect so tightly that I miss weaknesses that only time reveals. The key is knowing the hi fi world very well. I have also learned what I want in terms of sonic signature. I don't know mics at all, but I do know what I like sonically.

Renting mics may be a good way. The problem is I live in a place where equipment rental is difficult. It's not like living in a big city where everything is available. But I will still look further. I think yours is a good suggestion.

Sparky

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com