Gear / Technical Help > Microphones & Setup

Rycote InVision INV-HG mkIII?

(1/3) > >>

rigpimp:
OK, I switched from my Schoeps A-20s (since it was flopping or listing under the weight was multiple mics) to the Rycote InVision INV-HG mkIII which I purchased from B&H.  I think this thing is too stiff for my use. 

The last two shows that I recorded have mild audible thumps.  The first was in a balcony and my stand was up against the wall/rail.  It was far enough away from people but someone tapping their foot on the wall caused thumps.  I think that a good shockmount should prevent this. 

Then, on Friday night I had my stand up on a wooden cabinet in the back of the room.  I taped the stand down as I normally would and sure enough some old lady plopped her fat ass on the cabinet right next to my stuff.  You can hear thumps, (the same sound as the example above) as she mounts, moves around, or dismounts the cabinet.

These thumps are new since switching mounts.  Is there a lyre that is less stiff?  I think that I need one that is a touch softer material.  I seem to recall a video where they made different lyres with different "shores" or stiffness.

Edit:  Just answered my own question.  Now to determine which one my mount came with...

From: http://mymic.rycote.com/products/lyre/modular-lyre-upgrades/pair-of-single-lyre-62-19_25-with-modular-adaptor-screws/

The different hardness' can be easily identified by their new colour combinations. The lower the number, the softer the Shore hardness. So 62 shore is softer that 72 shore, and 82 shore is the stiffest we make. Shore Hardness Colour Combination 62 shore Black rigid part & Black Soft-grip 72 shore Black rigid part & Grey Soft-grip 82 shore Light Grey rigid part & Black Soft-grip

Shore Hardness Colour Combination
62 shore Black rigid part & Black Soft-grip
72 shore Black rigid part & Grey Soft-grip
82 shore Light Grey rigid part & Black Soft-grip

voltronic:
The INV-HG mkIII comes standard with a 68-shore Duo-Lyre.  But this is actually much more stiff than you would expect for that shore rating because of increased stiffness in certain areas compared to the separate Lyres such as those used in the INV-6 and INV-7.

See this thread for excerpts of my correspondence with Simon Davies at Rycote where he explains:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=180990

rigpimp:

--- Quote from: voltronic on February 26, 2018, 09:43:12 PM ---The INV-HG mkIII comes standard with a 68-shore Duo-Lyre.  But this is actually much more stiff than you would expect for that shore rating because of increased stiffness in certain areas compared to the separate Lyres such as those used in the INV-6 and INV-7.

See this thread for excerpts of my correspondence with Simon Davies at Rycote where he explains:

--- End quote ---

Oh wow, I didn't even know that I had the dual lyre mount.  LOL.  I understand his explanation perfectly and it sounds like what I need is a pair of 62 shore single lyres.  Thank you!

voltronic:

--- Quote from: rigpimp on February 27, 2018, 09:31:16 AM ---
--- Quote from: voltronic on February 26, 2018, 09:43:12 PM ---The INV-HG mkIII comes standard with a 68-shore Duo-Lyre.  But this is actually much more stiff than you would expect for that shore rating because of increased stiffness in certain areas compared to the separate Lyres such as those used in the INV-6 and INV-7.

--- End quote ---

Oh wow, I didn't even know that I had the dual lyre mount.  LOL.  I understand his explanation perfectly and it sounds like what I need is a pair of 62 shore single lyres.  Thank you!

--- End quote ---

Hold on.  I'm looking at the mics in your signature, and for any of those, you definitely do NOT want the 62 shore lyres.  I have those for my CM3s because they are so lightweight.  The 62 are so compliant (floppy) though, that I can only use them for the individual mics, and only if the cables are well dressed.  When using a stereo bar, I need the stiffer lyres.  (I'm actually using the 68 INV-HG mkIII for that now, but as that's too far in the other direction, I'm going to swap it out for the 72 shore single lyres which should be perfect.)

For Schoeps or any "normal" pencil mics, I would say you want the 72 shore lyres, which are the ones that come standard on the INV-6 and INV-7 mounts.  For a stereo bar of mics like yours, you might even need to go to the 82 single lyres though I have no direct experience with them.  I believe Bean and a few others here use them for that purpose, so you could ask them, or email Rycote directly who as you have seen are very helpful.

The 72 lyres are in stock at Adorama right now, if you have a base to mount them to.  They are a special order everywhere else I've looked.  Otherwise, the complete INV-6 and INV-7 are in stock at all of the usual places.

vanark:
But, how does that address his concern that the mounts are not working as he expects and producing bump noises on the recording?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version