Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: I have a probem with a recording I made and don't know what happended  (Read 5020 times)

Offline swordfish

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
The recording has some static and it sounds a bit like mic brushes....but the mics where mounted stealthy and I never touched them maybe it some Cell Phone interference....the lady next to me was checking the whole eve for incoming calls.... in addition she clapped out of rhythm and talked during quiter parts of the concerts..she just ruined my eve...hard to find behaving crowd nowdays....

Setup AKG CK 61 (C) - Tinybox - M10 Line in

I recorded about 5 shows with the exact same setup and no issues.

The only thing I discovered that a little bit of tape got in between the M10 jack and the 1/8 plug....I ussually secure the connections with some tape

When I moved the recorder to check levels during the show I noticed that the red light came on.  But it is not peaking above 0DB...I had a bad jack at my CA 9100 and I know how these spikes look like.

I attached a photo maybe somebody had a similar problem.  I tested the equipment today ...and I had no problems at all..everything seems to be OK..Tinybox was fully loaded before the show....hope somebody has an idea.

SF

Offline yousef

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: I have a probem with a recording I made and don't know what happended
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 12:21:18 PM »
My first guess would be that the bit of tape caused a failed connection and thus the internal mics were in operation: could the brushing noises be caused movement of the recorder itself? And could handling noise have cause the peak light to come on?

How does the recording sound otherwise - does it sound more like the internal mics than your usual mics?
music>other stuff>ears
my recordings: http://db.etree.org/yousef
http://www.manchestertaper.co.uk
twitter: @manchestertaper

Offline swordfish

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 12:46:57 PM »
I agree that the tape could have caused the dropouts/crackles but it is a AKG recording with full dynamic...but it was about 37-40 degree Celsius outside and I don't know how hot it was inside...

SF

Offline swordfish

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2013, 02:51:28 PM »
Couldn't rest ...it seems to be the jack...I took off the tape after I tested it this afternoon and without the tape there are dropouts...does it make sense to send this item to Sony for repair  or should I sell it at ebay...Warranty is over since 3 month....and the price has gone down in Germany...it is the same price in Euro as in $ ---> 205 €

SF

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2013, 05:02:00 PM »
Couldn't rest ...it seems to be the jack...I took off the tape after I tested it this afternoon and without the tape there are dropouts...does it make sense to send this item to Sony for repair  or should I sell it at ebay...Warranty is over since 3 month....and the price has gone down in Germany...it is the same price in Euro as in $ ---> 205 €

SF

Please let us tapers know not to bid on it.... :o ;D :P
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline swordfish

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 01:11:04 AM »
It works fine around the house as long as you don't move it...I ordered a new one and will contact Sony on the repair cost.

I haven't sold anything on ebay yet...and you still can use the mic in..at least 50% is working fine, if you consider the playback is also working...could be a good deal for somebody which records with PIP.

:D 8) ;D

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 09:15:45 AM »
May just be dirty contacts. Try cleaning both the jack and plug with denatured alcohol or an electrical contact cleaner like the popular Caig products.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline dyneq

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2013, 12:42:56 PM »
May just be dirty contacts. Try cleaning both the jack and plug with denatured alcohol or an electrical contact cleaner like the popular Caig products.

x2. Always try cleaning first. I bought a small bottle of Caig about 10 yrs ago and I doubt I'll need to buy any more in my lifetime. I have gotten in the habit of cleaning all connectors with it before each recording session.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2013, 02:26:33 PM »
I don't think there is any harm in treating connections before every recording, but I doubt that's really necessary.  I typically treat inter-cable connections, jacks and plugs about every 6 months or so, typically when pre-rigging and gaff taping up a bunch of multi-channel connections before a festival, and haven't had an intermitant dirty connection problem come up since I've been doing that. I have had broken solder joints inside of connectors since then, but that's a different issue. Between those periods I simply wipe off the plugs on a shirt tail or something to remove any dirt or fingerprint oils before making the connection.

After years of balking at the price of the Caig stuff, I finally bought some about 5 years ago after having intermittant mini-jack problems and thinking the jacks were going bad.  Denatured alcohol and light elbow grease go a long way in fixing a dirty connection problem, but the Caig stuff works faster without doing the jack-plug dance for as long, cleans gunk out more thouroughly and seems to last far longer since it leaves a detectible protective/lubricating film coating.  I focus mostly on the 1/8" (3.5mm) TRS cables and connections which are more problematic.  I've never had a problem with XLR contacts, but I treat those too just as good practice, if less often.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline capnhook

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2013, 08:24:49 PM »
Caig, eh..... :hmmm:
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline swordfish

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2013, 02:38:59 AM »
I will clean the 1/8 jack...is this the right stuff

http://www.micro-tools.de/Kontaktreiniger-oxid/Caig-Deoxit-Tube-2ml.html
or is this better
http://www.micro-tools.de/Kontaktreiniger-oxid/DeoxIT-Gold-G-Series-oxid.html

but I still think that is not the problem...if you tape the plug to the M10...there is no noise on the recording.... if do not tape it and move the cable a bit up and down....you have that noise on the recording, therefore I don't rely in thta M10 anymore.

Does somebody has a spare part list for the M10...maybe I can order the jack and have it replaced locally....

Thanks for all the answers so far

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2013, 10:25:38 AM »
^^^
Deoxit is what you want. That one has more cleaner in it and looks like it is liquid form.  The other one cleans too but is mostly a gold-plated connector protector/lubricant and looks like a felt tip pen applicator.

Although I can't definitely say the jack isn't broken, I've had dirty 1/8" jack connections on similar recorders act up exactly like you mention and assumed they were worn out and broken but found they worked perfectly after a good cleaning. This might correct the problem and a good thing to have around and use anyway even if it doesn't.

You can probably drop a droplet of the stuff directly into the jack.  I have a small spray can of Deoxit, spray some in there and use the paper stick of a Q-tip swab with the cotton swab end cut off to clean the jack's internal contact surfaces by inserting and removing it a bunch of times.  Wipe the plugs well with the stuff too, then plug and unplug them in the jack a few times and spin them around to get both mating surfaces well scrubed.  The stuff actively bubbles a bit while 'eating' dirt and corrosion deposits.

Offline swordfish

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2013, 12:47:32 AM »
^^^
Deoxit is what you want. That one has more cleaner in it and looks like it is liquid form.  The other one cleans too but is mostly a gold-plated connector protector/lubricant and looks like a felt tip pen applicator.

Although I can't definitely say the jack isn't broken, I've had dirty 1/8" jack connections on similar recorders act up exactly like you mention and assumed they were worn out and broken but found they worked perfectly after a good cleaning. This might correct the problem and a good thing to have around and use anyway even if it doesn't.

You can probably drop a droplet of the stuff directly into the jack.  I have a small spray can of Deoxit, spray some in there and use the paper stick of a Q-tip swab with the cotton swab end cut off to clean the jack's internal contact surfaces by inserting and removing it a bunch of times.  Wipe the plugs well with the stuff too, then plug and unplug them in the jack a few times and spin them around to get both mating surfaces well scrubed.  The stuff actively bubbles a bit while 'eating' dirt and corrosion deposits.

Thanks a lot for the detailed advise...I will order the stuff right away and clean the jack of the recorder...

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2013, 03:04:52 PM »
i had issues with Sonic mics into m10 and cleaned miniplug with 91 percent isopropyl and issues resolved i also rubber band the cable around the side of the m10 and it nice and secure.

Offline dyneq

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2013, 03:15:55 PM »
I don't think there is any harm in treating connections before every recording, but I doubt that's really necessary.

Agreed that it's not necessary. Thinking about it for a while, I guess I do it for 2 reasons:
  • The majority of my recordings are at outdoor fests where I'm camping and my hands are not as clean as they would usually be. I try to avoid touching the plugs, but they also tend to brush against my gear bag, etc. I wonder if someone makes covers for 1/8 jacks? If not, I could probably easily McGyver something...
  • I only record about 3x a year and so when I do, I want to feel confident that I've covered that one potential pitfall. The 'belt and suspenders' approach, if you will.

Also, for cleaning jacks, when I bought my Caig way back when, I also got their jack brushes, which look like this:

http://www.amplifiedparts.com/products/S-CAB-25

Just be careful that you only put on a small amount of the cleaner or you can make a mess inside the unit. I usually rub the brush on the bottle neck until only the bristles are covered.

Offline swordfish

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2013, 12:55:24 AM »
^^^

The Caig is in da house..in addition I tested the new M10 yesterday...I received it 2 days after I ordered it...Made the 1st recording with the new M10, new mic stand including the new Shure shock absorber and the mic bars...Everything worked like a charm....

I will clean the old M10 and report back.

SF

Offline swordfish

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2013, 04:28:36 AM »
I cleaned the M10 with the Caig liquid and it seems that the problem is "fixed"...but I don't trust or belive in the equipment anymore.....but still can use it as a backup or in conjuction with the video camera when I tape open....I may get rid of my R09HR now...

SF-

Marshall7

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2013, 08:29:28 PM »
I picked up a bottle of Deoxit today ($24.99).  In Canada it's distributed and packaged by Hosa Technology.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2013, 08:38:57 PM »
The Caig is in da house..

Missed that opportunity before to say..

Tap it!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.092 seconds with 47 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com