Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: got a new cable modem and now firewalled  (Read 2222 times)

Offline EarlyMorningRain

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
got a new cable modem and now firewalled
« on: September 13, 2013, 10:01:23 PM »
ok, some components in my home network equipment quit working so everything got replaced. Bought a Motorola SBG6580 (docsis 3.0 etc) that now does it all and now for the life of me I cannot get un-firewalled on my torrent sites (Dime, TTD). Everything was working fine before the cable modem replacement and was not firewalled on any of the bt sites I go to. So no changes to the pc, have gone to port-forwarding.net and followed the instructions to forward the ports in the SBG6580 uTorrent is using, but still no dice. Being an IT guy, I do know my way around the pc and have done this many times, for myself and helping others, but this one has me stumped.

Anyone else have the same cable modem and don't mind comparing settings from your web admin page? I'm thinking it's either something I am missing in the admin/config web page for the cable modem, or somehow some Windows Firewall settings got changed.

I know anti virus software could conflict with allowing/disallowing access to ports etc, but the only Firewall I am using is Windows. Even have the FW turned off on the modem. And the only AV software installed at the moment is Windows Defender (so my OS is W7)

What ever info I'm leaving out, please post asking for more info if you could. I have gone to the uTorrent forums and looked at a few "firewalled" related threads I could find, did the same over on the motorola support site but still striking out.

Anyone ??

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
Re: got a new cable modem and now firewalled
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 10:31:26 PM »
who is your isp? could they be blocking services (torrents), not likely if they worked before the upgrade but you never know? latest firmware on the gateway?

you might check the forums at tomshardware as they usually have spot-on advice and a quick search found several threads on that model motorola http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 10:41:31 PM by flipp »

Offline EarlyMorningRain

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 10:47:19 PM »
I have Comcast Cable for internet and tv. I don't know if they are blocking any services now or not. They weren't as of last week from what I can tell. Internet searches are not finding others asking similar questions new as of the week or two ago.

So my set up is:
Comcast cable > Motorola sbg6580 > Netgear 8 port gigabit switch > Ethernet cable to my Dell tower.

My old set up for the past 2-3 years had a Lynksys cable modem and a Lynksys wireless router in the mix (those 2 devices got replaced this week)

I could plug my Dell straight into the modem seeing as that has 4 Ethernet ports on it and only one them being used right now (it goes to the switch). Hmm, might just try that now...

Offline EarlyMorningRain

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 10:55:48 PM »
I could plug my Dell straight into the modem seeing as that has 4 Ethernet ports on it and only one them being used right now (it goes to the switch). Hmm, might just try that now... 

just did that and still Firewalled, I'll refresh my BT client and wait it out some to see if dime/ttd update my connected status any....

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 11:01:54 PM »
have you tried using the Motorola as just a modem, not as a gateway/router?

I don't know about your modem, but the SBG6580 has a setting to disable the gateway mode and essentially make it act like a regular cable modem. Click on the basic tab on the top of the screen, then find NAPT mode and disable it. Click on apply, let the modem reboot, reboot your router and you should be good to go.

you might try the above just to see if you are no longer firewalled with the comp connected with a cable directly to the Motorola; if that works you may have to put the old Linksys router back in the chain if you have more than one device you want to go online

perhaps something in one of these 8 threads will be useful http://www.tomshardware.com/s/SBG6580+firewall/
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 11:09:05 PM by flipp »

Offline EarlyMorningRain

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2013, 11:23:08 PM »
have you tried using the Motorola as just a modem, not as a gateway/router?

I don't know about your modem, but the SBG6580 has a setting to disable the gateway mode and essentially make it act like a regular cable modem. Click on the basic tab on the top of the screen, then find NAPT mode and disable it. Click on apply, let the modem reboot, reboot your router and you should be good to go.

you might try the above just to see if you are no longer firewalled with the comp connected with a cable directly to the Motorola; if that works you may have to put the old Linksys router back in the chain if you have more than one device you want to go online

perhaps something in one of these 8 threads will be useful http://www.tomshardware.com/s/SBG6580+firewall/

I have not tried that yet. My Linksys crapped out on me so that had to go, so I then figured now is a good time to go docsis 3.0 and go back to an all-in-one unit. Will try that tomorrow and see what happens. Time for some Halo action now    >:D

Offline EarlyMorningRain

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2013, 10:53:45 PM »
by George I think I got it

in the Port Forwarding section, where you have to enter in the ip address of my modem, logically that is what you think you should do, I had to enter in 0.0.0.0, then figure out the right combination of "enable PnP port mapping" stuff between my bt client (utorrent) and in the config settings on the modem

::)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com