Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: jb3 - recovering unsaved recording  (Read 1616 times)

sml42

• Trade Count: (0)
jb3 - recovering unsaved recording
« on: August 09, 2008, 08:05:22 PM »
(not sure if this should go in the recording or computer forum.  mods, feel free to move as appropriate)

So last weekend I went to a festival, and brought my jb3 back from retirement, since that gives more recording time (batteries) than my mt2496.

Being the dimwit that I am, having charged the spare batteries, I left them on my desk at work. D'oh!

And of course the jb3 shutdown somewhere during one of the last shows of the weekend. When I finally got back to civilisation it turns out, not only did it shut down partway through this set, it also did not save the show to disc. Double d'oh!

Now, I'm not aware of anyone else successfully recovering from this situation, but it was a pretty special performance, so I thought I'd give it a try. What I found is that it is actually possible, although a little hard work:

1) remove the hard drive from the jb3, put into external usb caddy
2) copy the entire disc as one large file (20 GB in my case)
3) I wrote a little program to dump portions from this file as a WAV file
4) manually dumped short portions until I found the start of the recording, and the cutoff point
(this maybe more trouble if your disc is fragmented...)
5) fire up in audacity (or whatever)
6) observe a burst of noise every couple minutes (clearly some on-disc data structure going on here)
7) carefully delete these bursts of noise (audio carries on seamlessly either side of it)
8) in my case there was an additional glitch near the end, obviously just before it crapped out

For my effort I was pleasantly surprised to find almost the entire performance was there... lucky I guess.

I dunno how many people still use jb3 these days, but I thought I'd share this with y'all. If anyone is interested, let me know, I can probably flesh out the description a bit...

peace,
stephen

Offline yousef

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: jb3 - recovering unsaved recording
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 08:12:53 PM »
I thought you said you wouldn't be taping...

+t for what sounds like a painstaking recovery job.
music>other stuff>ears
my recordings: http://db.etree.org/yousef
http://www.manchestertaper.co.uk
twitter: @manchestertaper

sml42

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: jb3 - recovering unsaved recording
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2008, 08:50:49 PM »
I thought you said you wouldn't be taping...

Honestly, I wasn't intending to... it just... sort of... happened!

(backatcha... you have PM)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.055 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com