Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: paradigm pdr-8 sub  (Read 2988 times)

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
paradigm pdr-8 sub
« on: January 12, 2004, 06:23:32 PM »
anyone have anything good or bad to say?

it sounds like some of them have some sort of transformer hum. others rave about it. I'm in a small room and will be for a while, just thinking about rounding out the sound of the B&W's a bit more.

there are a ton of velodyne's out there right now but the paradigm is significantly cheaper...

although the finish is rosenut and my speakers are black, of course I'm a mid 20's bachelor so fuck it  ;)
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Tim

Re:paradigm pdr-8 sub
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2004, 06:28:38 PM »
I'm also wondering about sub placement in general...

thanks guys, I'm obviously still a complete newbie at this HiFi stuff. I've got 7 years of taping experience and under a year in "hifi"
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Tim

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2004, 08:08:35 PM »
to answer my own question...

I went to a hifi shop this afternoon for a little while and talked with one of the salesmen about subs and sub placement...

first, he said place it where you want... maybe you'll get lucky.

if that didin't work and you were struggling to find a good spot he recommended placing the sub in the sweet spot and then crawling around on the floor and seeing where the bass sounded best. the bass relfections will be the same so theoretically this would work... interesting idea.

Offline Tim

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2004, 08:14:58 PM »
too much caffeine... first day back at school...

Offline Tim

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2004, 08:20:18 PM »
hehe... I'll have the gf take pictures.

btw - I just bought the paradigm. it's little but goes down to 29hz, perfect for my little apartment. oh yeah, and it was cheap as hell

Offline BC

• Bongo Bongo
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2004, 03:05:23 PM »
I like the paradigm stuff, well engineered gear and always a good value for the $$$.
I have the active 20 monitors, now discontinued, I love em'. I' have also also been thinking about getting a sub to give these a bit more range as they tend to struggle a bit with bass heavy material (they are just a 2 way monitor w/ 6 1/2 inch woofer after all).

As far as getting the bass integrated, might be good to get an spl meter and a test tone CD to experiment with different room placements.

You can also try moving your furnishings around to make certain areas more absorptive or reflective as necessary, chairs, bookshelves, plants, etc...

Happy listening!
Ben

In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline Wes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2004, 03:30:24 PM »
to answer my own question...

I went to a hifi shop this afternoon for a little while and talked with one of the salesmen about subs and sub placement...

first, he said place it where you want... maybe you'll get lucky.

if that didin't work and you were struggling to find a good spot he recommended placing the sub in the sweet spot and then crawling around on the floor and seeing where the bass sounded best. the bass relfections will be the same so theoretically this would work... interesting idea.

I read somewhere that that is the correct way to place a sub.. put it in the middle of the room and find where the bass is most resonant and place the sub there.  I think it has something to do with standing waves which will reinforce each other producing more bass.

Wes
" Radio Shack md440zrs>high pass filter>whopper a>d "

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com