Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: looking for some advice for a newbie playback system...  (Read 4999 times)

Offline save

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • blah blah blah
looking for some advice for a newbie playback system...
« on: January 14, 2004, 12:55:32 AM »
right now i do all of my listening through my klipsch 2.1 pc speakers.  i'm to get a decent playback system on a limited buget....problem is i don't know where to start?  first thing i'd like is a DVD-Audio / SACD player.  are there any decent players out there that are reasonably priced?  also what are some good quality entry level speakers?  what else would i need to get me started?  also i'd like to eventually turn it into a 5.1 since i'll be watching movies using these speakers, as well as listening to music on it.  any info would be great!

thanks,
justin
« Last Edit: January 14, 2004, 12:56:52 AM by stoopidstp »
save

Offline leegeddy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re:looking for some advice for a newbie playback system...
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2004, 01:46:55 AM »
you can pick up the new Pioneer DV-45a (DVD, cd, DVD-Audio, SACD, mp3) player for less than $175 new!!  

my personal recommendation is don't skimp on speakers. save your $ on the DVD player, wiring and the receiver, integrated amp or preamp/amp combo.  

the best place to stay away from is your corporate chain stores.  go to an independent hi-fi shop and spend your time actually listening to stereo gear rather than reading specs on the internet and/or reading someone else's reviews.  while specs and other folks' reviews can be helpful, the most important thing is how the gear sounds to your ears.

once you're mind is set on a piece of gear, try the used market like Audiogon (http://www.audiogon.com).  this place is filled with audiophiles sometimes dumping their equipment to satisfy their addiction of perpetual upgrades.  i've purchased 75% of my home stereo gear from folks on Audiogon and am 110% satified by my purchases.

also, your local dealers often run specials and demo sales which will save you major $$ over brand new equipment.

good luck,
marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2004, 07:16:26 AM »
The Pioneer player at Best Buy is not the DV-45a, rather it is the 563a.  It is a good player for the money.

For speakers, try Audiogon.  Depending on the budget I would go there.  Personally I feel the lower end B&W, Paradigm, and Klipsch models are carried by the name.  Looking in the upper lines of these you will beging to find the quality.  Do a search and you will find many different speakers.  Try posting a budget asthat would be of more help.  For starters check out:
 Ascend Acoustics
 Axiom Audio
 PSB
 Energy
 Monitor Audio
 Onix Rocket / ELT
 Paradigm
 B&W
 Magnepan
 and the list goes on

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2004, 07:36:10 AM »
what do you want to spend?

Offline save

• Taperssection All-Star
  • blah blah blah
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2004, 07:10:24 PM »
thanks for the help so far guys!  it looks like i'll probably get that Pioneer sacd, dvd-a, mp3 player.  i was hoping to only spend around $300 or so on speakers if that can get me a decent pair.  as far as pre amp goes, i know nothing about them....are there any decent ones in the $150-$200 range...or am i better off waiting till i have a bit more cash?  these prices are all rough prices....i could probably go up a little bit...i'd just have to spread out my buying a little more.  so i'm basically looking for stuff in this price range to get me a decent price range.  if these prices are unreasonable to get a decent playback system, let me know so i know roughly how much it'll take to get a decent playback system.

Thanks for all the help, this board rocks!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2004, 07:13:33 PM by stoopidstp »
save

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2004, 01:48:57 AM »
in that price range try and get a yamaha or onkyo reciever and some bose or jbl speakers from best buy or the like. that pioneer "all in one" job that plays cd/dvd-a's is a great buy as well.
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2004, 07:42:28 AM »
For $330 you could get the Ascend Acoustic CBM-170 whic many say is very nice.  I've heard you would probably want to get a sub with these.  Also, I've heard good things about the Dayton's at www.partsexpress.com

jpschust

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2004, 12:42:02 PM »
also look at some of the near field jbl monitors.  they pump and not bad on the pocketbook either

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2004, 01:37:02 PM »
Panasonic SA-XR45 receiver $299 (great sound from the digital inputs - CD, DVD, DAT)
Epos ELS-3 speakers $270
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Tascam DR-70D / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline save

• Taperssection All-Star
  • blah blah blah
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2004, 06:46:41 PM »
anybody else have any suggestions?
save

Offline Tim

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2004, 07:36:07 PM »
buy used...
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline save

• Taperssection All-Star
  • blah blah blah
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2004, 10:42:13 PM »
yeah i'm hoping to find a good deal on a used pair of speakers @ Audiogon.  i'm just about done painting my basement and about ready to turn it into my listening room....so i need to get my ass in gear and get some good speakers ;)
save

Offline BC

• Bongo Bongo
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2004, 04:37:05 PM »
anybody else have any suggestions?

I will second some of scervin and craig t's picks

PSB alpha
Paradigm  (smaller models)
Epos (got a good review w/ solid test measurements in last stereophile)
Polk audio

happy listening,
Ben

In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline Thom Joad

• Taperssection Member
  • Team TNT!
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2004, 07:54:37 AM »
I just got some Axiom M22's and really like the sound.  I drive them with an Audio Refinement Complete int. and I think the combo sounds pretty good.  The amp has a bit more "warmth" than others (not as much as tubes though) and the speakers are extremely transparent and nuetral (kind of like my Earthworks mics.) so they match up nicely.  Problem with the Axiom's is no dealers anywhere.  Have to buy factory direct, but the 30 no-risk trial more than makes up for it.  If you don't like them, send them back no questions asked.  Oh yeah, you will probably want a sub. with these, or any other bookshelf for that matter.  Anybody got a decent sub. they want to get rid of?

Offline THE NIZ BIAAAAACH!

• Taperssection Member
  • Mr T don't partake in no sombrero activities!
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2004, 02:11:35 AM »
The cheapest way to upgrade any system is inter-conects
they will get so much more out of any system it's incredible.  For a mid level system and below I recomend Kimber Cables PBJs they are incredible for the money.  I have demo'd them against cables twice the price and the difference is so negligable that I still use them.  This goes for speaker cable as well.  I will have a pair of six foot Audio quest type 4's that I will be getting rid of cheap very soon.
mk21+mk4>kc5>cmc6>portico 5012>722
24\96 in your ass bitches!

Offline Tim

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2004, 02:20:59 AM »
The cheapest way to upgrade any system is inter-conects
they will get so much more out of any system it's incredible.  For a mid level system and below I recomend Kimber Cables PBJs they are incredible for the money.  I have demo'd them against cables twice the price and the difference is so negligable that I still use them.  This goes for speaker cable as well.  I will have a pair of six foot Audio quest type 4's that I will be getting rid of cheap very soon.

bring those speaker cables to Denver for sts9...
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com