Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Need Cabler To Mod A SBM-1  (Read 3837 times)

Offline gormenghast

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Taperssection Member
Need Cabler To Mod A SBM-1
« on: March 14, 2013, 11:41:03 AM »
Can someone direct me to the cabler who can mod my SBM-1 to have an RCA output?  This is an Oade modded SBM-1.
A lot of people run a race to see who is the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts, who can punish himself into exhausting pace, and then at the end, punish himself even more.

Offline Flip

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Need Cabler To Mod A SBM-1
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 06:38:58 AM »

Just got mine back from Pro Digital.  The 7 pin was not working, so they replaced it with RCA.   

It came out great. 
Flip

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 12:49:38 PM »
Pro-Digital is where my money goes, too.
What are you going to run it into?
once again, lost in all the noise

Offline Flip

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 08:42:47 PM »
Here a pic of how mine turned out.   
Flip

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 06:35:41 PM »
That's a COAX mod, correct?
once again, lost in all the noise

Offline Flip

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 03:36:07 PM »
Yes    I still run it into a D8 but use a coax/7 pin patch cord.    It should work directly with a coax digital connection at 16 bit but I dont have a box with coax to run a test.
Flip

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 03:49:43 PM »
So to answer the original question, this is an extremely simple mod. You just need the pinout/color codes for the 7pin. It's floating around ts.com somewhere; a search should find it.

I'd be curious to know what ProDigital charged for this; it's an incredibly straightforward mod (and he probably go to keep the 7pin), so I would hope the cost wasn't more than $20-30. If it's more than that, just find that pinout chart and any of the resident ts.com cable makers can perform the mod.

Offline larrysellers

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Qualified
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 04:04:27 PM »
Did they give you back the 7-pin plug? You can use that to make a toslink output cable, like this one ---> http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=47097.msg607392#msg607392 ....if the problem was in the cable and not the 7pin connector.

Offline gormenghast

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2013, 04:07:44 PM »
Well, the plan was to run into my DR100MKII when I was thinking Doug Oade could mod the SBM-1 to output 24 bit.  But he said it's been along time and Sony probably don't have the part anymore as they phase stuff out and don't stock parts.  He said he could look at my SBM-1 to see what mod he did to it ( I've had this thing for a while and forgot what he did to it ).  He said he might have the pigtail somewhere around.  I just found my old 7 pin to y splitter so that should do the job, but only at 16 bit.

A lot of people run a race to see who is the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts, who can punish himself into exhausting pace, and then at the end, punish himself even more.

Offline Flip

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2013, 08:17:59 PM »

The symptom was only one channel through both the headphone and 7 pin.  After investigating it turned out to be a dirty/loose connection on the head phone and the the 7 pin connector.  He gave it a full check up and cleaning fixing the head phone.  With the problem being the actual 7 pin connector, it was either another 7 pin or the coax.  So I went for the coax.  Figured the next thing to go would be my D8 and with the coax the SBM-1 might have a life after DAT.

Between chasing down the problems, check up, cleaning, and switching out the cable it ended up 1.5 hours labor ( @ 85 a hour ).  So it was more than $40.

Flip

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com