Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: "File Damaged" in PCM-M10  (Read 3616 times)

Offline earmonger

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
"File Damaged" in PCM-M10
« on: September 11, 2013, 01:57:49 AM »
I was recording to an 8GB Sandisk memory card, tested with h2testw as good, on the PCM-M10, 16-bit 44, when I saw the red light went out. The display said "File Damaged." Luckily I had been putting track marks in during the concert and after Divide, the previous songs are fine.

This is the first time I've seen the File Damaged message, but I'm saying adios (with as they say extreme prejudice) to the 8GB card.

I have the file. It's about 25MB. It won't play in VLC or foobar2000; in Winamp it blinks and jitters until I shut down Winamp in Task Manager.

Obviously I'd like to recover the song.  Any suggestions?

Offline earmonger

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
Re: "File Damaged" in PCM-M10
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 02:38:15 AM »
Well whaddaya know.

Every time I connect the PCM-M10, Windows 7 wants to scan it.

I'm leery of that usually, but I let it scan--and now the file is playable.

Before that, I had run Stellar Phoenix, but it crashed partway through scanning the whole disc.

http://www.stellarinfo.com/

The repaired file is short, but I didn't see when it went kerflooey. Still, I only lost a few minutes. Not usually a big Windows fan, but thanks Micro$oft--or maybe Stellar Phoenix. Something worked.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 02:40:24 AM by earmonger »

Offline udovdh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 12:13:50 PM »
The header of the WAV file might be incorrect.
This can be fixed quite easily in various ways.
E.g. if you know the format of the file you can load the WAV as 'raw' audio and then export as WAv in Audacity.

Online Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 05:14:07 PM »
I *ALWAYS* record to the internal memory first. At 24/48 you'll get 3:50 of recording time. Plenty for your average show. I have never had a single issue with internal memory, but had the same thing happen on the card. If I'm expecting to have a show go over 3:50 due to openers or a festival I save the internal for the main act (or the one I like the most).

Not sure if it was a bad card, or maybe it wasn't inserted properly (I've inserted it before and it wouldn't read it...had to take it out and put it back in again to make it work).

The thing has been pretty rock solid for me. Only 1 issue in who knows how many shows.

||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline swordfish

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 01:58:18 AM »
I *ALWAYS* record to the internal memory first. At 24/48 you'll get 3:50 of recording time. Plenty for your average show. I have never had a single issue with internal memory, but had the same thing happen on the card. If I'm expecting to have a show go over 3:50 due to openers or a festival I save the internal for the main act (or the one I like the most).

Not sure if it was a bad card, or maybe it wasn't inserted properly (I've inserted it before and it wouldn't read it...had to take it out and put it back in again to make it work).

The thing has been pretty rock solid for me. Only 1 issue in who knows how many shows.

+1

I also record first to the internal HD, leaves me the chance to hand over the SD card card if security "wants" it... ;D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com