Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Audioroot UpreMKII  (Read 18562 times)

Offline jhfinn

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection Member
Audioroot UpreMKII
« on: August 08, 2014, 04:00:36 PM »
Sexy little pre/ad wish it had more options though.
http://www.audioroot.fr/product/upre-mkii/
Mics:Neumann KM150x2...LC3KA actives x4
Pres:Audioroot Femto(L)
Recorders: Edirol R44/Sony PCM-D50
Retired: Sony D10pro2 modified/ Sony TCD-D8

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Audioroot UpreMKII
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 04:13:49 PM »
What other options would you like?

I haven't found much I would change on mine though I haven't had the opportunity to see what all it can do yet. So far major change would be in the length of some of the supplied cables though I have some mini xlrs on order so I can make custom cables to suit my needs once the connectors arrive.

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 04:17:19 PM »
How much are these going for??  I can't find a price online, but I'm guessing more than the Femto.
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline jhfinn

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 04:27:21 PM »
What other options would you like?

I haven't found much I would change on mine though I haven't had the opportunity to see what all it can do yet. So far major change would be in the length of some of the supplied cables though I have some mini xlrs on order so I can make custom cables to suit my needs once the connectors arrive.

What are the engravings on the top of the pre? Can it output something other than 24/192 via digital?
I remember Antoine saying the preliminary price was $1200.

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 04:30:55 PM »
I couldn't find a price online either. Don't know what MSRP is but since I was already in touch with a distributor about this unit, I never got a price from the company. Best price I found I got from Justin @ Pro Sound. Current price will depend on the exchange rate.

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 04:40:12 PM »

What are the engravings on the top of the pre? Can it output something other than 24/192 via digital?

Engravings are the various settings for setting output 2-44.1, 3-48, 4-176.4, 5-192, 6-88.2, 7-96, 8&9-ADC OFF, 0 & 1 not used. When set to 48, my FR2 reports a 48k AES input. I haven't tried any other frequency yet. Set with a tiny screw driver. I recommend setting it before leaving the house as it could be tricky in the field/under darkness. I'll dig the digicam out and get a few pics for posting later.

M/S is set by two other tiny switches under the battery connectors.

Should be able to get this easily for under a grand but check with Justin for current best price.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 05:57:39 PM by flipp »

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2014, 11:01:37 AM »
This is a bad ass little box, what does it sound like? How is the preamp section? Similar to the Femto? How's the ADC?
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline jhfinn

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2014, 11:13:00 AM »

Engravings are the various settings for setting output 2-44.1, 3-48, 4-176.4, 5-192, 6-88.2, 7-96, 8&9-ADC OFF, 0 & 1 not used. When set to 48, my FR2 reports a 48k AES input. I haven't tried any other frequency yet. Set with a tiny screw driver. I recommend setting it before leaving the house as it could be tricky in the field/under darkness. I'll dig the digicam out and get a few pics for posting later.

M/S is set by two other tiny switches under the battery connectors.

Should be able to get this easily for under a grand but check with Justin for current best price.

Thanks for the pic and description Flipp. The website doesn't mention anything about the switch to change the output settings and I assumed it only allowed 24/192. Just like the femto I wish it had a mini out but with how small these are good luck fitting one. Looks like this new pre is even slightly smaller than the femto. I'm very happy with my Femto so far. I'd love to hear some samples of this.
Regards,
Jim

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2014, 12:13:04 PM »
This is a bad ass little box, what does it sound like? How is the preamp section? Similar to the Femto? How's the ADC?

I'd love to hear some samples of this.

So far I've only recorded some nature sounds - cicadas on hot afternoons, birds awakening as dawn approaches and breaks, thunderstorms and the like - as well as some recordings of trains including M/S. Haven't had the opportunity to record any music yet but that'll change this and next weekend. Probably won't be able to give an objective opinion until after next weekends show since it will be in my favorite local venue.

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2014, 12:48:06 PM »

I'd love to hear some samples of this.

So far I've only recorded some nature sounds - cicadas on hot afternoons, birds awakening as dawn approaches and breaks, thunderstorms and the like - as well as some recordings of trains including M/S. Haven't had the opportunity to record any music yet but that'll change this and next weekend. Probably won't be able to give an objective opinion until after next weekends show since it will be in my favorite local venue.
Good luck! I can't wait to hear your thoughts.
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline yates7592

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2014, 09:21:26 AM »
Haven't had the opportunity to record any music yet but that'll change this and next weekend. Probably won't be able to give an objective opinion until after next weekends show since it will be in my favorite local venue.

Hi, have you been able to record some music yet? If so, how is the sound signature of the uPRE MKII?

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2014, 09:56:09 AM »
Haven't had the opportunity to record any music yet but that'll change this and next weekend. Probably won't be able to give an objective opinion until after next weekends show since it will be in my favorite local venue.

Hi, have you been able to record some music yet? If so, how is the sound signature of the uPRE MKII?

I was wondering the same thing!

ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2014, 12:25:23 PM »
Not yet; I'll post thoughts, and maybe samples, once I do.

< might be able to use this this weekend but realistically it'll probably be @mule middle of next week before I use this for music; should be able to use the following for a fairly good comparison: Beyer 803s>uPRE-II (AES out)>FR2  vs  Beyer 803s>stock FR2-LE  >
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 04:54:46 PM by flipp »

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2014, 05:53:20 PM »
Last night's encore from WSP in Dallas via wetransfer. Link expired.

Lineage is Beyer 803s >uPre-II AES out >FR2 @ 24/48 DIN 7' DFC 11 rows behind the pit/7 rows FOB

< I've noted some impressions about the pre but need to flesh them out a bit before posting. It also explains why the levels in the sample are lower than optimal. >
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 04:54:14 PM by flipp »

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2014, 04:56:50 AM »
I've had the opportunity to record a couple of national acts with this. First impressions,

• it doesn't like standard alkaline 9volts as it eats them in a hurry - less than 3 hours till drained - (9v lithiums last longer though I haven't run them to determine time to shutdown yet)
• 9v battery removal is a pain due to very tight fit and grip of the internal contacts - think pliers, esp if you have any hand strength problems   (arthritis, neuromuscular disorder, etc) seriously think about an external battery solution using the Hirose connector < after a chat with audioroot, I'm the only one reporting battery removal problems, note I do have limited hand/arm strength >
•  gain control is very sensitive as one would expect with the gain range of this unit
•  would prefer the metering to reflect -30 -15 -3 or -24 -12 -3 rather than the -40 -20 -3 it ships with

• love the small size, it fits in a collapsible coozey
• sound is very good - neutral to only slightly flavored but describing that flavoring is not easy (see attempts to describe Femto sound)
• love the switchable ganged gain control
• output is fairly hot

First show was the Mule (10-01). Originally had signals bouncing between -20 &- 12 db. On the FR2 the spot on the meters is at -20 unlike the -12 on it's little brother the 2LE. Towards the end of the first set I adjusted the levels so they were bouncing around -6. Early part of the set sounds great, after adjustment there is a brittleness. Not sure if it was battery/power related, ADC overload or what. Not happy with the outcome when neither the uPRE-II nor the FR2 indicated clipping. Waveform looks good, no clipping, flattened peaks or other anomalies. Basically I chalked it up to the initial run with new equipment and operator unfamiliarity. I recorded each set seperately and powered down the unit between sets. I looked down near the end of the encore and the uPRE was dark due to drained batteries. Was not sure if the FR2 would save the file once the input was gone. It did, thankfully. When I got home battery voltage was 8.3 and 8.2.

Second show was WSP in Dallas last night (10-17). I used some Energizer Lithiums. Show was one two hour set plus one song encore. Again I set the levels so they bounced between -20 and -12. Really like the outcome other than the low level. Will probably need to boost about 6db. Would rather boost a low clean signal than have levels where I want them but have undesirable artifacts. Past recordings led me to believe the Beyers were a bit too bottom end oriented. Not so with the uPRE. A very pleasing recording and if future recordings sound as good I can retire thoughts of new mics, yeah right, but at least put them on hold indefinitely. If the -3 lights flash more than a handful of times a set I probably won't like the results based on the two times I've used this for more than recording a local band's practice sessions.  Only more use in the field will tell if I leave this permanently in the chain. Of course more use will also allow me to learn where the ideal settings are for my rig when this is in the chain.

See post above for one sample. More samples coming as soon as the replacement Windows components arrive. Once that box is built I'll upload some samples of the mule before and after bumping the gain.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 11:13:45 AM by flipp »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.061 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com