Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: in Audacity, is there a simple way to  (Read 4283 times)

Offline furburger

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • UH-LASS-KUH
in Audacity, is there a simple way to
« on: May 14, 2015, 04:58:25 PM »
splice tracks together that are all in one file.

small gaps....
-------------
people who are fans of the music, they LOVE what I document and capture...people who are fans of themselves....not so much.

Offline thunderbolt

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Music est vita!
Re: in Audacity, is there a simple way to
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2015, 06:11:48 PM »
There may be better or more logical ways to do it, but here's what I do:

You should be able to highlight the gap between and hit delete to join it.  Sometimes it's easier if you zoom in so that delineating the gap is more precise.  Also, sometimes a dark black line will remain between the tracks.  If you just click on it, it will usually disappear and the tracks will be joined with no gap.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 06:14:25 PM by boltman »

Offline jagraham

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2015, 10:09:36 PM »
I was going to say the same thing as above. Just zoom in real close to get it as close as possible.

Just curious - is this from a CDR burned as TAO with the two second gaps between tracks? It will probably be a noticeable but won't matter too much if it's just between songs.

In the CDR trading days, I used to hate when I would receive a batch of CDs burned TAO. It would ruin things like GD shows with Estimated > Eyes or Scarlet > Fire or H > S > F or WRS > Let It Grow or Cryptical > TOO, Dark Star > Me & My Uncle etc.
Mics: Nak CM-300s, Nak CM-100s, CP-1s, CP-2s, AT-853s(Cards, Hypers, Omnis) CA-14s(Cards, Omnis)
Pres: CA STC-9200, CA-UBB
Recorders: Tascam DR-70D, DR-2D, Edirol R-09

ISO: 1 Teac ME-120, CP-3 Caps, AT-853 Subcard Caps

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2015, 11:33:00 PM »
I don't understand exactly what you're asking.

Are you trying to take multiple, separate WAV files and concatenate them together into a single file?  And when you do so, you're getting gaps between the files?
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline furburger

• Taperssection All-Star
  • UH-LASS-KUH
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2015, 12:12:46 AM »
hopefully I addressed all the asked questions here:

nah, it's Metallica in Anchorage '92. the masters aren't mine, the mix the guy who taped it did is all shittyfuck (it's like "the loudness wars" between 40hz and 2.5khz, then the high end, while there, is nowhere audible over the sludgy, concrete arena buttmud lo end)...fortunately the only frequency that maxed out was 63hz (at +12db, the eq goes no higher), and with a bit of 'major low end  filtering' was able to make it pretty listenable (Jason's bass solo went from "turn it down" to somewhat plucky and defined, for example)....

the other prob is that it's tracked for cd...on a hard drive. so when it was drag/dropped/imported them onto the flashcard, there's 12 tracks instead of 1. the Tascam is making a small gap between them during playback, but nowhere near 2 seconds (not loaded it up yet for splicing, I do about 16gb of real time transfers at time onto card B, then when that card fills up, time to 'produce' (production)...by ear, they're less than .5 long, probably .3. but I'm postive the cds weren't TAO, as the former friend and I are the ones who did the transfers...

I also have the cds, somewhere, but they may be from a previous mix job.

so, in short, they're tracked, sans text file (though I KNOW he torrented the show, more than once), and I've got all his masters on the HD, EQ'd by him, without a visual analyzer (or, his ears ONLY vs. his ears and his eyes), so most of them sound like shit. (usually on the  lo end, due to his speakers that were from the 70's, and I told him one was blowing  a few years back (before the falling out). he  posted FB pix of it shot to shit mere months ago)

anyhow,  if I gotta do 'em as suggested (which is what I feared), so be it, though I do like the idea of the 'delete' thing.
-------------
people who are fans of the music, they LOVE what I document and capture...people who are fans of themselves....not so much.

Offline furburger

• Taperssection All-Star
  • UH-LASS-KUH
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2015, 12:28:40 AM »
or, is there a way to import the 12 separate tracks into Audacity as a single track and/or if they come in as 12, a simple 'join' method and then export as a single track, eq it, then bring the eqd  file back in for declapping/normalizing?

as of now, I have an EQ'd track with gaps that's been transferred, and those 12 tracks, sans gaps (I'm 99% sure, due to gap length) on a hard drive.
-------------

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Southern Shelter
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2015, 01:32:09 PM »
More than likely Audacity has a much higher-quality EQ than the Kenwood, so "exporting" it is superfluous anyway; you can save steps and increase control and quality by leaving it in the box. If Audacity doesn't, Reaper does.

Simplest way to join tracks is to download the free trial of Reaper from reaper.fm, drag and drop all your files onto one track. It will prompt you for whether to send these to Separate Tracks or a Single Track. Choose Single and they'll be joined seamlessly in order (assuming the files are named properly). You can then EQ with any VST or the included ReaEQ. Render out to WAV and you're good to go.

Offline Gene Poole

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2015, 02:38:55 PM »
I use sox for concatenation.  Pretty straight forward.  To concatenate 4 short tracks (track[1-4].wav) into a single long track:

Code: [Select]
sox track1.wav track2.wav track3.wav track4.wav output.wav

The last file in the command line is the one created from the previous files in the list.

Offline furburger

• Taperssection All-Star
  • UH-LASS-KUH
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2015, 02:50:03 PM »
More than likely Audacity has a much higher-quality EQ than the Kenwood, so "exporting" it is superfluous anyway; you can save steps and increase control and quality by leaving it in the box. If Audacity doesn't, Reaper does.

Simplest way to join tracks is to download the free trial of Reaper from reaper.fm, drag and drop all your files onto one track. It will prompt you for whether to send these to Separate Tracks or a Single Track. Choose Single and they'll be joined seamlessly in order (assuming the files are named properly). You can then EQ with any VST or the included ReaEQ. Render out to WAV and you're good to go.

no, computer software eq's do not respond like the Kenwood...and I only break out the 31 band when that "every 1/3 octave filtering" is necessary. also, the onscreen analyzers (the 'bouncy' part, if you will) for cpu equalizers are 'herky jerky', not smooth like the graphic on the Kenwood.

in a pinch, the eq's on a cpu are adequate, but not something I'd ever rely on.

thanks for the part about Reaper though, while I'll prolly finish the Metallica the 'old fashioned' (previously mentioned) way, I'll try the BB King in Anchorage files that way and see.

my former friend couldn't mix FOR SHIT. the BB show, EVERY song has fucking clipping. which I'm sure he did in post. at least it's during applause 98% of the time (much easier to remedy than in the middle of a song), but that's what you get when you rely ***on your ears only***
-------------

Offline furburger

• Taperssection All-Star
  • UH-LASS-KUH
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2015, 01:43:59 PM »
It is not difficult to code a 31-band in software, you just don't see many of them because people want parametric instead.  We've been over this before, but anyway, I coded a 31-band analyzer that would be trivial to change to a EQ, I'd just have to add multiplication by a constant after each band and add them back together.  Maybe someday when I get really bored I will do that, but you could just try this:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=31+band+vst

So since 400 people have already done it I think I will pass.

Metering on analog hardware graphic EQs is done by comparators, which are essentially digital devices--they are on above a threshold, off below it.  There is no reason a software EQ couldn't be programmed to have the same exact attack/release settings as hardware.  In fact it would be easy to make that user-adjustable in software, which would be quite difficult in hardware unless the hardware was actually doing the display in DSP anyway (which is software).

I believe/understand you have the skills, and I'm not talking about a cpu mimicking/doing the same job as the sliders. I'm talking about the onscreen response of a cpu analyzer not matching that on the Kenwood....the frequencies on a screen don't 'bounce' the right way as they do on the Kenwood (or the 31 band paired with a hardwar analyzer) during playback, hence using the Kenwood.

rule #1 of EQ: if you spend more than 3 minutes fucking with it, you're doing it wrong.

also, if you go with the 'color' of sound in conjunction with the actual bouncing, it's much easier to do (like 625hz is the 'mud' frequency in a concrete arena, and 250-400 is that snappy snare, the 'mush' from improperly mixed cymbals can be anywhere between 3.9 and 10khz, etc...)

knowing the amount of people over the years who have told me "how did you get it to sound like that?", I know that I'm moreso on the correct path, even if I'm following alongside on my beaten one off to the side.

reaper worked great, though its bizarre how the first time I dragged/dropped, it started with track 3. keeping the file names exactly the same, I closed it and reopened and by God if it didn't do it in the right order the 2nd time around...ffs.
-------------

backwhereubelong

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2015, 05:38:51 PM »
If you're wanting to take several tracks and make them as one long wav file, I use a program called AddAWav.  Works GREAT and it's Free.

Offline mhlsr

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2015, 05:56:54 PM »
I use EAC, Exact Audio Copy, In tools Process wav, click on first track. Then in pop up window that comes up append file with next track and keep doing it.Than save.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.061 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com