Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Issue with recording? New recorder/Mic upgrade...?  (Read 6588 times)

Offline Chrisedge

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
Issue with recording? New recorder/Mic upgrade...?
« on: May 21, 2015, 12:55:30 PM »
Need the minds of the community here.

I recently got a Tascam DR-2d from the Yard and am wondering about the drop outs in a recording I got. Before we blame the card (which I think it is), I wanted to get some comments here. A friend that has experience with the 2d said it shouldn't act like this if it's a card issue.

Also...my mics were recently re-wired by Darktrain and I don't think it's that.

PreAmp was a CA9200 and I've used that many times so...

This clip has the drop outs in it, but it seems to stay in sync with a another recording someone else posted as well as video I recorded. So it's not simply hickuping. Now it could be losing a mili second or something, but it SEEMS to be in sync.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12196821/skips.wav

Thoughts?

Audio: Sound Professionals SP-CMC-10 (AT933s) or Church Audio CA-14 (Omni & Cards) Mics >
Sound Professionals Battery Box SP-SPSB-1, SP-SPSB-10 or Church Audio Preamp CA9200 >
Sony PCM-A10, Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-2d Recorders
Video: Panasonic DCM-ZS100 & GoPro 7 Black

Offline seethreepo

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Resist Or Serve
Re: Issue with recording? New recorder/Mic upgrade...?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 01:41:25 PM »
did you format the card on the device it was used in?  if its a new deck but old card from a different device its always best practice to format the card in the device its to be used in.

at least there are other sources  but I feel your pain I had 2 recent shows ruined by equipment failure. 
"Never heard anyone say that music was the thing that fucked up their day" 
-Chris Robinson 1996-09-24

real recorder > phone
 external mics > Internal mics
 FOB > Taper Section
 HATS > better than Denied

Offline Chrisedge

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 01:42:18 PM »
did you format the card on the device it was used in?  if its a new deck but old card from a different device its always best practice to format the card in the device its to be used in.

at least there are other sources  but I feel your pain I had 2 recent shows ruined by equipment failure.

Yep, Full Format of cards in recorder, and were completely empty before show.
Audio: Sound Professionals SP-CMC-10 (AT933s) or Church Audio CA-14 (Omni & Cards) Mics >
Sound Professionals Battery Box SP-SPSB-1, SP-SPSB-10 or Church Audio Preamp CA9200 >

Offline nassau73

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 02:18:19 PM »
I wonder if upgrading the firmware on the Tascam might help:

http://tascam.com/product/dr-2d/downloads/

Offline Chrisedge

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 02:20:26 PM »
I wonder if upgrading the firmware on the Tascam might help:

http://tascam.com/product/dr-2d/downloads/

It is, and was on latest firmware.

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2015, 02:56:54 PM »
My first suspicion troubleshooting problems of this sort is intermittent connectors and interconnect cables.  Failing that, try a different SD card and make some test recordings. You can run diagnostics on the suspect card and see if an problems turn up.  Can't recommend anything off-hand, but a search should turn up decent SD card diagnostics test software mentioned here at TS within the past year.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Chrisedge

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2015, 03:37:20 PM »
My first suspicion troubleshooting problems of this sort is intermittent connectors and interconnect cables.  Failing that, try a different SD card and make some test recordings. You can run diagnostics on the suspect card and see if an problems turn up.  Can't recommend anything off-hand, but a search should turn up decent SD card diagnostics test software mentioned here at TS within the past year.

It doesn't really sound like a bad connector to me, since it seems to skip more than cut out. Happened to both nights of a recording too. So it has to be something more than just a bad connection (I think)

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2015, 03:46:26 PM »
Try another card in it (formatted in the 2d) with the internal mics.  If that goes without fault, then connect your external mics and see if that goes without fault.  I can't remember if the 2d had any issues with particular SDHC cards--seems like it isn't picky that I can recall, but others may know better. 

Offline Chrisedge

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2015, 04:15:38 PM »
I'm going to get a 32gb Sandisk Extreme and see if that is friendly. Not super worried since there was coverage at the show and can patch the few times it goes out, without it sounding too off.

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2015, 04:20:42 PM »
I haven't had any particular SD card-related issues using three different DR2d's.  I'm using Kingston and Transcend 32GB cards.  Formatting in the recorder is always a good idea as general practice, but I rarely do it.   I format the cards on the computer after clearing them, usually put them in the DR-680 and let it reformat and write it's system folders and files, then put the card in a DR2d and let it write it's system files (it then only asks to write sys files, rather than needing to reformat again).  That way I can transfer cards between any of my recorders without a problem.  The Edirol/Roland R-09s and R-44 recorders don't write any folders or sys files to the cards, making them easier to accommodate.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Chrisedge

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2015, 04:28:04 PM »
I haven't had any particular SD card-related issues using three different DR2d's.  I'm using Kingston and Transcend 32GB cards.  Formatting in the recorder is always a good idea as general practice, but I rarely do it.   I format the cards on the computer after clearing them, usually put them in the DR-680 and let it reformat and write it's system folders and files, then put the card in a DR2d and let it write it's system files (it then only asks to write sys files, rather than needing to reformat again).  That way I can transfer cards between any of my recorders without a problem.  The Edirol/Roland R-09s and R-44 recorders don't write any folders or sys files to the cards, making them easier to accommodate.

Reading the complete 2d threads it seems as though there were folks with issues, so that was my initial thought.

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2015, 11:10:06 PM »
I'm going to get a 32gb Sandisk Extreme and see if that is friendly. Not super worried since there was coverage at the show and can patch the few times it goes out, without it sounding too off.

I use the 16gb sandisk extreme chips.  Always format cards once in deck and use once.  Been told I'm crazy but chips cheaper than tapes we used to use

Offline mpmks

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2015, 11:25:26 PM »

I use the 16gb sandisk extreme chips.  Always format cards once in deck and use once.  Been told I'm crazy but chips cheaper than tapes we used to use

I am not I am reading you correctly   you use a card but 1 time and then go to a new card? So you are still saving media?

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2015, 12:13:02 AM »

I am not I am reading you correctly   you use a card but 1 time and then go to a new card? So you are still saving media?

As a rule, I transfer the data off an SD card whenever the card is removed from the recorder, and I always format the card when it is put back into the recorder.

Try to keep the thinking down to a minimum.   :hmmm:
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2015, 12:32:41 AM »

Yes.  I do.  Call me crazy but I figure its a minimal cost and still less than the cost of batteries.  I buy the Sandisk cards in bulk at $10-$12 per $16gb card

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.119 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com