Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Schoeps VMS 5U external power problem  (Read 11787 times)

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Spreadicated
Schoeps VMS 5U external power problem
« on: August 10, 2015, 04:35:40 PM »
I can't seem to get the external power to stay on for an entire show.  I use internal AA's as well so I haven't lost a show.  What happens is after about 10-15 minutes of having the external power on the power light starts to flicker and then shuts off and it switches to internal batteries.  It isn't a cable I have 3 different cables and it happens with all of them.  Could this be a problem with one of the fuses??  Where is the best place to have it worked on state side?? 

Edit: I'm using Tekkeon batteries 3450 and 3300.  The problem occurs not matter which battery I use so I've ruled those out as well.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 06:07:35 PM by jbell »
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline StuStu

• Trade Count: (40)
Re: Schoeps VMS 5U external power problem
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 05:36:28 PM »
I can't seem to get the external power to stay on for an entire show.  I use internal AA's as well so I haven't lost a show.  What happens is after about 10-15 minutes of having the external power on the power light starts to flicker and then shuts off and it switches to internal batteries.  It isn't a cable I have 3 different cables and it happens with all of them.  Could this be a problem with ons of the fuses??  Where is the best place to have it worked on state side?? 

Edit: I'm using Tekkeon batteries 3450 and 3300.  The problem occurs not matter which battery I use so I've ruled those out as well.

If you send it to Redding, they'll most likely send it Germany. Vark will probably be willing to look at it.
MK5, MK8, MK41, KM184D, CK77, B3 ---CMD 2U XT, KC5, KCY, AKI---KCY Tinybox, Ugly BB---AETA 4MinX, PMD661 MKII, R-26, M-10, MR-1

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 10:12:26 PM »
Have you run it off the wall wart or an external 12v AC adapter?

Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 10:14:16 PM »
Don't have one

Have you run it off the wall wart or an external 12v AC adapter?

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 10:22:48 AM »
I can't remember the voltage range for the 5U, but if you're setting your Tekkeon's at the low end of the range, I'd suggest using the voltage more towards the high end of the range.  That's how I run my VMS's to make sure that I don't go below the lower voltage limit in case the batteries sag at all.

Might want to get your meter out and check voltage the tekkeons are giving you when the vms switches over.  Alternatively, the meter on the front of the unit is also a volt meter, so check to make sure your voltage is staying well up in the green zone the whole time before it switches over.  If it dips down towards the red zone before it switches over it's an indication that your external battery is your issue.

Finally, though highly unlikely they're loose, go under the battery cover and make sure the fuses are securely seated.  I suppose in some theoretical way, the fuse in the external circuit could lose continuity when the VMS warms up.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 11:12:43 AM by tonedeaf »

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2015, 12:29:50 PM »
I'm running the tekkeons at 12V which is recommended, but you can run it as low as 5V so it isn't a battery issue.  A fully charged tekkeon shouldn't sag below 5V after 15 minutes of run time.

Offline kingkita

• Trade Count: (50)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 01:05:30 PM »
I'm running the tekkeons at 12V which is recommended, but you can run it as low as 5V so it isn't a battery issue.  A fully charged tekkeon shouldn't sag below 5V after 15 minutes of run time.

I seriously doubt your vms is messed up, Tekkeons are nice but not trustworthy, I've had plenty of them work great and ones that where cracp and there plenty of horror stories out there of frying gear. Pop the battery cover off and see if the fuses are still in place.Another thing is the vms pulls power even if you have it on the off position. That's why on some tekkeons you have to set the battery then plug it into the vms then turn the unit on.those where the auto select ones.

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2015, 01:09:16 PM »
I've used 3 different tekkeons and have had the same issue, but not all the time.  I have it running in front of the stereo now and it is working fine.  At ARU in Athens I had one tekkeon with a full charge that had the low battery light flashing red even though the battery was fully charged.  Maybe I should try my Naztech battery. 

Edit: Been running it for about 45 minutes at home with the tekkeons and can't get the problem to occur.   :hmmm:

I seriously doubt your vms is messed up, Tekkeons are nice but not trustworthy, I've had plenty of them work great and ones that where cracp and there plenty of horror stories out there of frying gear. Pop the battery cover off and see if the fuses are still in place.Another thing is the vms pulls power even if you have it on the off position. That's why on some tekkeons you have to set the battery then plug it into the vms then turn the unit on.those where the auto select ones.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 01:26:34 PM by jbell »

Offline kingkita

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2015, 01:37:36 PM »
I've used 3 different tekkeons and have had the same issue, but not all the time.  I have it running in front of the stereo now and it is working fine.  At ARU in Athens I had one tekkeon with a full charge that had the low battery light flashing red even though the battery was fully charged.  Maybe I should try my Naztech battery. 

Edit: Been running it for about 45 minutes at home with the tekkeons and can't get the problem to occur.   :hmmm:

Sounds like its the power cable your using then.

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2015, 01:50:49 PM »
It has happened with 2 different cables!!  Could it be an old fuse causing this behavior?? 

« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 02:58:25 PM by jbell »

Offline tgakidis

• Trade Count: (552)
    • My Recordings on the Archive:
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2015, 02:52:46 PM »

Fucking cable makers  >:(
GAKables: Custom XLR, Digi & Batt Cables http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

Mics: Schoeps CMC6 x 4, Schoeps CMC1K x 2 / Schoeps KC 5G x 2 / Schoeps MK4,MK41,MK21,MK22 x 2 / Austrian Audio OC818 Dual Set+ / Telefunken TF-11 x 2 / Telefunken ELA M 260 x 4 / Telefunken M960FS x 2 / TK60,TK61,TK62 x 2 / Telefunken M60,TK60 x 2 / AKG c426b / AKG c34 / nBob AKG Actives>PFA x 4 / CK61,CK63,CK8 x 2 / AT853 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub)
Pres: Sonosax SX-AD8+ / Sonosax SX-M2D2 / Sonosax SX-M2 / Lunatec V3
Recs: Sonosax SX-R4+ / Sound Devices MixPre-6ii / Marantz PMD-661 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F3

My Recordings: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%28Gakidis%29&sort=-da

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2015, 02:59:31 PM »
I'm pretty sure it isn't the cable you made Ted.  It was happening with the stock tekkeon cable as well.  I do also realize you're being sarcastic. 

« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 03:55:30 PM by jbell »

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2015, 02:59:41 PM »
Jon.  Can you get the issue to happen if you wiggle the cable connect ion on the socket?. I've had the socket on one of my recorders go bad on me in the past where one of the connectors inside the socket sorta loosened up so that it wouldn't make reliable connection with both poles.

Offline kingkita

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2015, 04:00:22 PM »

You know I love ya Ted!

Jon pull the fuse and put another one in it. I've replaced a few it's a pain in the ass I used some small tweezers to do it.Ive just stole the fuses from the battery Side I never run internal batteries with the 5u.Til you get some new ones see if that helps.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 04:05:16 PM by kingkita »

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2015, 04:01:44 PM »
Today during testing I tried that and it stayed connected.  When the battery has lost connection during a show The battery is setting in the bag not being moved.  Once it loses connection I have done exactly what you are suggestion without success.  If I unplug the battery and then reconnect it the battery kicks back in and then eventually loses connection.  The DC input on the VMS looks solid and doesn't appear to be lose or show signs of damage.  I have had several shows where this doesn't occur and then it randomly does it again.  Very strange and annoying

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com