Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder (Part 6)  (Read 93750 times)

Offline Mike D (VT)

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • spreading the love since 1993
Re: Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder (Part 6)
« Reply #60 on: December 09, 2015, 09:55:46 AM »
I doubt I could hear a difference, I got the mod for my audiophile ego.

^^^That's the best!

So, I still have (2) nagging questions -

Has anyone had a "Time Writeout" error on any setting below 24/96?
sorry if I missed this sub-discussion.
Has the speed of the card been discussed?
My original SanDisk Ultra 16gb was 85mb/sec. (I believe).
I just picked up a 16 gb PNY rated at 90mb/sec in hopes that little bit will make a difference. I have a show on Saturday, and I don't want to fuck it up.
AKG C460B (JWMOD) ck61/ ck63 > Big Green Fatties > SD MixPre 6

Offline Life In Rewind

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #61 on: December 09, 2015, 10:06:11 AM »

^^^That's the best!

I just picked up a 16 gb PNY rated at 90mb/sec in hopes that little bit will make a difference. I have a show on Saturday, and I don't want to fuck it up.

So far - there hasn't been any obvious rhyme or reason to why one card works and another doesn't...example - the 16GB SanDisk card is approved...but the 32GB version is marked "Do Not Use" - same class/product line/brand...makes no sense...

Offline ButchAlmberg

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #62 on: December 09, 2015, 10:26:51 AM »
And I have one each of those Sandisk cards. I ran the 32g knowing it wasn't approved and haven't yet had an issue. But I recently got a 16g in order to 'be covered' and it was twice the price of the 32g. It seems the more questions we ask the less we truly understand the nature of the problem.
Line Audio CM-3, CM-4, Lewitt
Sound Devices MixPre-6 II |  Tascam DR-70D

Team Line Audio

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #63 on: December 09, 2015, 01:04:49 PM »

^^^That's the best!

Without this first question answered, most of the comments on this thread may be meaningless. If someone is chiming in on flawless recordings but they only record at 24/48 and the issue is at higher than 48kHz, then that is not relevant to the issue. Likewise, if knowing that the deck will run flawlessly below 24/96, at least people have a way of running safely.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline jbosco

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #64 on: December 09, 2015, 02:06:29 PM »

^^^That's the best!

Without this first question answered, most of the comments on this thread may be meaningless. If someone is chiming in on flawless recordings but they only record at 24/48 and the issue is at higher than 48kHz, then that is not relevant to the issue. Likewise, if knowing that the deck will run flawlessly below 24/96, at least people have a way of running safely.

Except the "Timeout Write" error is not the only issue, I've never had that problem however I did experience the skipping audio problem and I was recording 24/48.
---
Neumann KM 184 -> Tascam DR 70D
DPA 4061 -> Sony M10

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #65 on: December 09, 2015, 04:12:47 PM »

^^^That's the best!

Except the "Timeout Write" error is not the only issue, I've never had that problem however I did experience the skipping audio problem and I was recording 24/48.

That was what I needed to know. There are serious issues below 24/96. If that was made clear I couldn't find it once the thread grew so large. Thanks!
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #66 on: December 12, 2015, 01:49:48 AM »

That was what I needed to know. There are serious issues below 24/96. If that was made clear I couldn't find it once the thread grew so large. Thanks!

all the problems I had took place at 24/48.
Here's the one I posted:
https://archive.org/details/Cracker2015-07-07
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline morst

« Reply #67 on: December 12, 2015, 01:54:46 AM »
a show on Saturday, and I don't want to fuck it up.

Why not get a card from the list of cards that Tascam has posted? Those are the only ones where they have verified functionality. PNY does not appear on the list.

Tascam will say it's your fault for not using a card on the list, if it fails. Why give them the "out?"

"SDHC card(4GB to 32GB), SDXC card(48GB to 128GB) High speed cards required.
See the Tested Media List on the DR-70D DOWNLOADS page."
http://tascam.com/product/dr-70d/specifications/

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #68 on: December 12, 2015, 10:59:44 AM »
For once I agree with morst.  You may be rolling the dice using an untested card - get one from the list.  Make sure you get the exact card listed; not all sizes of a model series tested as OK.  This has been said many times here before but some people still may miss it.

That said, if you have an unlisted card that you have used heavily (not just a couple times) with this recorder and had no problems, go for it.  I ran 4 channels 24/48 for almost 3 hours last night with my old Transcend and everything was perfect.  But I was only confident doing so because I've been using that card with the 70D for months and it's always been solid.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline morst

« Reply #69 on: December 14, 2015, 01:17:57 AM »
I was just thinking as I was logging in, that we have more in common than different, I bet... We want the same thing - a reliable, good sounding recorder that's easy enough to use, and maybe even affordable to run!  ???

This one is only reliable with cards from the short list. Ignore that at your peril.  :facepalm:

For once I agree with morst.

Offline Mike D (VT)

• Taperssection Member
  • spreading the love since 1993
« Reply #70 on: December 14, 2015, 09:29:03 AM »
Run my deck again on Saturday. 
I have used this same card many times on 24/48 with zero issues. The two previous times I used it, it was set at 24/96 and gave me "Time Write Out" error.
This time it was set at 24/96 with the same unapproved SanDisk Ultra card.
Three mins in, it gave the Time Write Out error message twice.
I powered my deck down, restarted it, and dialed it down to 24/48, and it worked flawlessly for the rest of the night.

So, I feel like it's a little victory for me, because I now know the problem my deck is having. No more (knock on wood) wondering if the deck is going to stop a recording. Which was really my biggest concern.
It sucks that I can not use my deck to it's full potential, and I'll deal with that on it's own; but at least I'm fairly confident that I can run it at 24/48 (or lower) with this card and have a trouble free recording.

I did get a PNY card with a higher speed rating (another trouble-shooting theory I have) which I'll get around to trying soon.
AKG C460B (JWMOD) ck61/ ck63 > Big Green Fatties > SD MixPre 6

Offline Chomps

• Trade Count: (18)
« Reply #71 on: December 14, 2015, 09:33:32 AM »
Took my deck out for the first time in a few months with NO issues. 24/48 with a PNY Elite 32 gig card.
Love the sound of this deck with mic plugged directly in. Hoping I can chop of the show and post soon.
Microtech Gefell m200/M20/M21/nBob Actives>PFA
Microtech Gefell m950
AKG 414 XLII
Telefunken M60/M61/M62
AT853
SD MP 10ii//Edirol R-44/Sony M10

Offline morst

« Reply #72 on: December 14, 2015, 04:47:13 PM »
natural-born risk-taker?

...unapproved SanDisk Ultra card...

but at least I'm fairly confident that I can run it at 24/48 (or lower) with this card and have a trouble free recording.

Why is that? Because it worked once?

I did get a PNY card with a higher speed rating (another trouble-shooting theory I have) which I'll get around to trying soon.

I wish you the best of luck. In all seriousness! Because I think you will need it. Please report in on your results!

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #73 on: December 14, 2015, 05:27:15 PM »
^ Agreed, if you got a write timeout at 24/96 I would avoid using it completely in the 70D.  Just because it's working at 24/48 now doesn't mean you won't have trouble down the road - flash memory can have degraded performance over time (some brands or cards more than others) and I wouldn't risk it.

Of course I may be somewhat of a hypocrite using an "unlisted" card, but like I said it is one I have thoroughly tested over months at every combination of channels, sample rates, etc. and is what I have used with perfect performance since owning the 70D.

Since we're posting samples, here's the most recent from my 70, first time with the DPAs: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/remote-possibilities-acoustic-music-location-recording/1042650-dpa-406x-diy-carbon-fiber-stand-advice-4.html#post11542715

And here's one I couldn't post on GS because of file size: just the woodwind quintet alone.

This was all running 24/48, 4 channels (just one stereo pair, but running dual rec at -12 dB as safety tracks) to the Transcend card.  Between the dress rehearsal and the concert, I probably recorded about 10 hours with these settings over Friday and Saturday.

I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #74 on: December 20, 2015, 04:59:51 PM »
Here's something to take note of...

Last night my board feed came off the back of a powered speaker that had a mixer built in.

RCA out to 1/8 input 1-2 on the DR-70D...but even with LOW on the TASCAM - feed was a bit too hot - knobs on the threshold of "off"

At set break, I switched to a 1/4 inch adapter on my RCA feed and went in the XLR...much better control of the signal for sure.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com