Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Thinking about Naiant hypers  (Read 8236 times)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: Thinking about Naiant hypers
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2016, 12:31:53 PM »
Granted, this setup was made in part to compare the two stereo pairs, or at least how the M/S pair worked alone.

But my way of thinking about it starts from 3 supercards/hypercards pointed more or less directly at the band and PA as a way of maximizing pickup of the direct sound component available at that recording position (think of that starting point as 3-way PAS).  I then think about how to achieve sufficient stereo interest with that setup, about balancing the stereo image resulting from it, and about ways of fine-tuning the direct-to-ambient/reverberant balance.  Mic spacing and the inclusion of the side 8 help with those things.

Pointing the outside pair a bit outside of the stacks maximizes the available level difference information between those two channels (based on the pattern/angle relationship), while still keeping the direct pickup of the PA maximized.  Yet that on it's own doesn't generate enough pattern/angle sterophony for my liking, so mounting the mics widely enough helps bolster that with time-difference stereo cues.  If using PAS to maximize pickup of direct sound wasn't my primary concern and I was outdoors with this same 3-mic starting point, I'd double that mic angle and point the outside supercardioid pair 180 degrees apart.

Turning the center mic into a M/S pair helps with the secondary concerns of balancing stereo image and adjustment of the direct/reverberant balance.  It "fleshes out" the stereo image across the center, and provides non-direct ambient/reverberant sound for me to work with.

As intended and as expected, the sideways facing figure-8 picks up significantly more ambience and reverberant sound than the other 3-channels, yet all of them have a good degree of audience/room ambience and "you are there vibe" in them.  It's not as if one pair provides one thing exclusively and the other pair provides something else exclusively (although increasing that often limited difference is partly the goal of many of my multiple mic array suggestions here).  It's actually more like the 3 directional PAS mics provide the direct sound basis, setup in such a way as to get as much stereo interest as possible while achieving that, and the side-ways 8 lets me fine-tune image and ambient balance.

So in a way, the figure 8 serves something of the same roll as the rearward facing cardioid I commonly use (control of ambient balance - room and audience contribution), except it also provides some welcome control over stereo image by forming a center M/S pair.  I often like a rearward facing mic, but it that isn't very useful from this recording position, in this type of room.  This is better suited to this situation.

Not sure if that way of thinking about it is actually any more fruitful than thinking of this more as two separate stereo pairs, combined.  It's just where my thought process is coming from.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2016, 02:07:48 PM »
We would all benefit from thinking more, especially before spending. 

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2016, 03:33:02 PM »
Ha! Truth.

My apologizes to the OP. I didn't intend to side-track the thread with an extended discussion of my weirdo multi-microphone arrays.  I do look forward to further messings around the with these Naiant X-8S mics which have inspired confidence in trying other Naiant mics, especially in light of their attractive pricing.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline SacredMetal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Frank DiCristina Energy Healing and more
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2016, 11:41:26 AM »
MR. Spock: "Fascinating!"
Zoom X/Y, Zoom M/S, Rode NT-1's, Rode NTK, Cascade Fathead
Zoom H6
Mogami Silver cables
5V USB 10,400mAh Backup battery
(it may not be the greatest but its a good start...)

Offline HealthCov Chris

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
    • InsideOut Recording & Promotions
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2016, 01:14:17 AM »
FYI...There is a pair of Naiant Hypers (complete set) in the yard sale right now for good price.
LMA: https://archive.org/details/@corfit
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/insideoutrecording
Mics: AKG ck61/ck63 (nBob actives, Naiant PFA) | AKG 568 | CA-14 omni | Studio Projects B3
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6 | Zoom F3 | Roland R-07
Camera: GoPro Hero 4 Silver

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.099 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com