Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Adobe Audition steps?  (Read 9352 times)

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Adobe Audition steps?
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2016, 07:38:11 PM »
DR680 or R44 and all i have ever used is cool edit or now adobe 3.0.....multitrack.....I record in mono always. except if go digital in on 7/8 as not sure it will record in mono. r44 will do mono on all......to me much easier in mono to do what ever is needed. I can add level and pan as needed. much easier than doing it stereo wise. i can address how i used to do it if needed... and for fests track splits are few and far between for mono tracks. my .02 if clocked on same recorder

1 drop files into adobe
2 go to multi track
3 drop sources there and align to compensate for delays, pan as needed and tweak levels. harder in stereo IMO
4 play it in many spots checking peaks and sound, there is a button on top of each track to flip phase, this can often tell if something is a muck. i seldom do have to   leave  it inverted
5 now if one show  edit>mixdown to new file in stereo>i belive you have to main up to 3 if mixing stereo sources to keep same levels, mono no need, periodically i might tweak a track eq but....
6 now stereo source mixed>if happy with all level outcomes
07 now listen and edit if needed, I do on occassion add levels to low level sources by highlight area and use envelope process  to cause hopefully no noticable level changes as i have saved abunch with fades in and out there so...
08 once right track in cdwav

i showed chomps once at the house and think he uses it since then...time makes it easier to do. i almost always get it right the first time when mixing
i mostly tape wormtown fest these days, many results here https://archive.org/bookmarks/heynow1

I use almost the exact same routine, except if I'm running stereo pairs of mics on a stand, I do like keeping my stereo pairs linked because I do usually apply a number of edits to my recordings before doing the final mixdown (mainly EQ and level matching/normalization between and within tracks).  I've recorded mono tracks as well, but for example if I get interrupted and have to leave for awhile, I'll forget that I put an EQ filter on one track and not its mate.  Or say I'm working on a specific track and do a number of things to that track.  Sometimes I'll forget all of the edits to apply to the matching track.  When I keep the stereo pairs linked, most of my edits get applied at the same time to both tracks in a pair.

It's just my personal preference.  I'm not saying my way is better, but just pointing out the main reason I do it this way.

Offline ashevillain

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2016, 11:56:20 AM »
As far as I'm aware, it doesn't AUTOMATICALLY cut on sector boundaries, does it?  In my case, I've never used the snap function in Audition because it ends up fighting with me when I want to locate to a specific spot, so whenever I've turned it on, I usually find myself turning it back off pretty quickly anyway.  Just never got in the habit of using it as a result. 

Anyway, my workflow has never relied on Audition for tracking out my recordings.  I've always used CDWave because it's quick and easy and automatically cuts tracks on sector boundaries.  I'd appreciate any feedback if there's a better/quicker way, but I don't really want to use Audition to do this function if it's not automatic, cause I know me and sure as sh** I'll start putting shows out there with screwed up track splits if it's not automatic.

You are correct in that Audition doesn't automatically cut on sector boundaries.  ;)

However, for me it's quicker to setup Audition one time to do it right vs. saving an edited file in Audition and then opening in another program to track it out just because that program is easier to track in by default. I just press the 'M' key to add a track marker in Audition. I guess I really just don't understand how it could possibly be more efficient but I also haven't used CDWave in 10 years. I also realize that most of us are hesitant to change workflow that we're already comfortable with at this point. As an aside, I have been out of taping for over a year and now that I'm getting back to it I have decided to forgo 16bit files so [even though I've already set up Audition to handle them correctly] sector boundaries are a non-issue for me going forward.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 11:58:03 AM by ashevillain »

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2016, 03:45:56 PM »
As far as I'm aware, it doesn't AUTOMATICALLY cut on sector boundaries, does it?  In my case, I've never used the snap function in Audition because it ends up fighting with me when I want to locate to a specific spot, so whenever I've turned it on, I usually find myself turning it back off pretty quickly anyway.  Just never got in the habit of using it as a result. 

Anyway, my workflow has never relied on Audition for tracking out my recordings.  I've always used CDWave because it's quick and easy and automatically cuts tracks on sector boundaries.  I'd appreciate any feedback if there's a better/quicker way, but I don't really want to use Audition to do this function if it's not automatic, cause I know me and sure as sh** I'll start putting shows out there with screwed up track splits if it's not automatic.

You are correct in that Audition doesn't automatically cut on sector boundaries.  ;)

However, for me it's quicker to setup Audition one time to do it right vs. saving an edited file in Audition and then opening in another program to track it out just because that program is easier to track in by default. I just press the 'M' key to add a track marker in Audition. I guess I really just don't understand how it could possibly be more efficient but I also haven't used CDWave in 10 years. I also realize that most of us are hesitant to change workflow that we're already comfortable with at this point. As an aside, I have been out of taping for over a year and now that I'm getting back to it I have decided to forgo 16bit files so [even though I've already set up Audition to handle them correctly] sector boundaries are a non-issue for me going forward.

:coolguy:

Offline edtyre

• Trade Count: (85)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Team Philly " No Excuses, Just Tapes"
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2016, 10:16:12 PM »
I posted the steps to get Audition to cut on sectors here http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=175125.msg2164306#msg2164306
music>mics>pre>recorder

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.037 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com