Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Cheap acoustically transparent fabric for covering mic capsules ?  (Read 3677 times)

Offline fandelive

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
Hello tapers,

I'm thinking about getting a second-hand DPA 406x but the microphone will be shipped without the protection grid, showing the golden capsule.
Would, for example, a women's tight fabric be acoustically transparent ?

Thanks,
-fandelive
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 02:05:13 AM by fandelive »
Mics : Sony ECM-717, MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod), SP-CMC-4 (at853), 2x DPA4060, 2x DPA4061
Battery box : SP-SPSB-6524 w/bass roll-off filter, MM-CBM-1
Preamp : Church Audio CA-9100
Recorders : Sony MZR-700PC, Edirol R-09HR, Tascam DR-2d

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Cheap acoustically transparent fabric instead of a grid ?
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 06:05:43 AM »
It's not just protection.  The grids change the response and from a side-address (without grid) to end-address (with grid).

Here's a great post from Gutbucket clearly showing this.

While some prefer to use these without the grids to make the response flatter when doing close work, you should still just buy the grids for general protection but also for the versatility of being able to change the characteristics of the mic - one of the best things about it.  You want the Low Boost grids, as the High Boost give you an extreme HF bump, unless you're under layers of clothing or recording from the next room:

http://www.performanceaudio.com/item/dpa-microphones-dua6001/27168/
http://www.pro-sound.com/p/dpa-dua6001-miniature-grids-soft-boost-black-5-pcs.html
http://www.fullcompass.com/prod/118606-DPA-Microphones-DUA6001
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline fandelive

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
Re: Cheap acoustically transparent fabric for covering mic capsules ?
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 01:54:49 AM »
You want the Low Boost grids, as the High Boost give you an extreme HF bump

Many thanks for the wise advice.
I've already read a bunch of threads here about using a grid VS. not using a grid and I was aware of the fact that it'll always be better to use the grid. At least for protection issues.

I should have found a better subject for this topic than "Cheap acoustically transparent fabric instead of a grid ?" as my main concern was about finding a way to cover naked DPA's capsules with acoustically transparent fabric.

I renamed the subject as "Cheap acoustically transparent fabric for covering mic capsule ?".

Thanks !
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 02:05:24 AM by fandelive »
Mics : Sony ECM-717, MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod), SP-CMC-4 (at853), 2x DPA4060, 2x DPA4061

Offline John Willett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2016, 04:32:39 AM »
I would suggest the best way is to get the person selling you the mic. to buy the grid and ship with the grid - pay him the extra for the grid.

By far the safest way.

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Waiting for the next cladogenetic event, or Godot
    • Oceana North America
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2016, 06:11:19 AM »
I would suggest the best way is to get the person selling you the mic. to buy the grid and ship with the grid - pay him the extra for the grid.

By far the safest way.

Agreed

To be clear, the grid is part of the microphone both mechanically and acoustically.
It changes the pressure of air on the diaphragm of the mic at various frequencies.
That is what you want to happen

Otherwise, there are inexpensive Panasonic Omni capsules available for well under $10 that can do the job.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Panasonic-WM-61A-Electret-Condenser-MIC-Capsule-6PCS-/270680829845

Be sure to read the Ebay ad, the capsule needs voltage and an FET preamp, but they are hard to beat for under $5 per channel!

« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 06:15:41 AM by Tango'd Up »
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

"Music is the drug that won't kill you"
         - Fran Lebowitz

Offline fandelive

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2016, 07:57:29 AM »
Otherwise, there are inexpensive Panasonic Omni capsules available for well under $10 that can do the job.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Panasonic-WM-61A-Electret-Condenser-MIC-Capsule-6PCS-/270680829845

I started with those 15 years ago before upgrading to my current Sennheiser caps.
I'm really only looking for advices on cheap and acoustically transparent fabrics (but I appreciate the info you guys took the time to give so far).

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2016, 04:46:49 PM »
^ That's probably your answer.

Speaker grill cloth from an outfit like Parts Express is designed to be acoustically transparent and probably fine. 

In general, this should be like assessing the appropriateness of clothing worn over mics.  Two primary things to consider there, the first may be more important for your application:  1) The acoustic transparency of the fabric- listen through it to determine how much it attenuates the delicate swish of fingers rubbing together, or some other source of high frequency content.  2) Selection of a fabric which slides smoothly without causing contact friction noise or fabric rustling noise.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline fandelive

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2016, 01:04:55 AM »
Many thanks for answering my question guys.

A pair of DPA's is now on the way and, following your advice, were shipped with low boost grids ;)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.086 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com