Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Comparison: Nbox platinum vs. Tinybox  (Read 19269 times)

Offline Jonas Karlsson

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Taper since 1992
Re: Comparison: Nbox platinum vs. Tinybox
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2016, 07:42:07 AM »
I also run an nbox platinum.  I know both units sound great but all things being equal I know Nick stands behind his products.  If something goes bad, he will fix it.  I don't know whether or not you would get the same with a Tinybox but if you read threads on here you will not find any examples of Nick not responding to issues.  He is a taper, one of us. 

The same is true for Jon/Naiant. Jon might not be a taper, but every time I had a question or a problem (of which all were user errors), he was always very helpful and very fast in responding to my numerous e-mails. I recently made the switch from MBHO to Schoeps actives. When I got my NBobs, I faced the decision of keeping my tinybox vs. getting a new NBox. I decided on keeping the tinybox (not against getting an NBox) because I simply love it. And there's no need to replace perfectly working gear that you love. ;) The only concern I have with my tinybox is that the internal LiIon battery is probably going to die soon and I can't find suitable replacement packs here in Europe. I know Jon will convert my tinybox to NiMH when that happens, but shipping to/from the US will probably take a while, so I need to figure out what to do during that time. But this has nothing to do with product or service quality.

Finally, having bought stuff from both Jon and Nick, I have to say that both were a pleasure to deal with.

Hi Sebastian, I am just as pleased with my tinybox - and this was no attempt to talk bad about any of the options, as mentioned in my first post :)

I'm just considering getting an Nbox Platinum, since I'm very please with my actives from Nick (kudos to you Nick!) - but need to know if the money is worth the "upgrade" in soundquality, therefore a comparison is very interesting.

Thanks

Offline Sebastian

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2016, 08:32:41 AM »
Hi Sebastian, I am just as pleased with my tinybox - and this was no attempt to talk bad about any of the options, as mentioned in my first post :)

I'm just considering getting an Nbox Platinum, since I'm very please with my actives from Nick (kudos to you Nick!) - but need to know if the money is worth the "upgrade" in soundquality, therefore a comparison is very interesting.

That's a totally valid and understandable point.

Just wanted to weigh in because these discussions tend to quickly become full on flame wars here on ts.com. And I just thought that the point that was made earlier (NBox is well-supported because Nick is a taper vs. totally unsupported tinybox that was made by a non-taper) isn't valid at all.

Other than that, it really comes down to your personal preferences. Personally, I think both tinybox and NBox sound great. If I hadn't had a tinybox already, then I would have ordered an NBox without hestitation.

Offline Chomps

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2016, 09:18:38 AM »
I also run an nbox platinum.  I know both units sound great but all things being equal I know Nick stands behind his products.  If something goes bad, he will fix it.  I don't know whether or not you would get the same with a Tinybox but if you read threads on here you will not find any examples of Nick not responding to issues.  He is a taper, one of us. 

The same is true for Jon/Naiant. Jon might not be a taper, but every time I had a question or a problem (of which all were user errors), he was always very helpful and very fast in responding to my numerous e-mails. I recently made the switch from MBHO to Schoeps actives. When I got my NBobs, I faced the decision of keeping my tinybox vs. getting a new NBox. I decided on keeping the tinybox (not against getting an NBox) because I simply love it. And there's no need to replace perfectly working gear that you love. ;) The only concern I have with my tinybox is that the internal LiIon battery is probably going to die soon and I can't find suitable replacement packs here in Europe. I know Jon will convert my tinybox to NiMH when that happens, but shipping to/from the US will probably take a while, so I need to figure out what to do during that time. But this has nothing to do with product or service quality.

Finally, having bought stuff from both Jon and Nick, I have to say that both were a pleasure to deal with.

Thanks

so let me get this right..you want us to validate you spending the extra money? Sorry but the best way to do this is to listen to tapes of your mics with the nBox behind and form your own opinion if it is worth it. A thread like this just causes problems and should be avoided in the future.
Microtech Gefell m200/M20/M21/nBob Actives>PFA
Microtech Gefell m950
AKG 414 XLII
Telefunken M60/M61/M62
AT853
SD MP 10ii//Edirol R-44/Sony M10

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2016, 09:32:39 AM »
Why don't y'all just come out and say it?  Nbox is like sipping Chateau d'Yquem, tinybox was like butt-chugging Franzia Sunset Blush.

There, now that this important issue is decided, you can move on to more important considerations.

I have read threads how you are not making the Tinybox anymore and you seem to have moved on to new products.  I was not saying your products were bad, I was just stating that I know Nick is someone I can depend on and he is a taper which you have stated you are not.  I stated my personal experience working with Nick as a positive factor. 

I think the most important purchasing considerations are which sounds better (I have my opinion) and whether you can order a NEW unit.  Are you making and selling Tinyboxes?   

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • 😈
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2016, 11:03:04 AM »

Ditto on Jon and Nick. Great.
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2016, 11:34:07 AM »
I have read threads how you are not making the Tinybox anymore and you seem to have moved on to new products.  I was not saying your products were bad, I was just stating that I know Nick is someone I can depend on and he is a taper which you have stated you are not.

Is Bernhard Vollmer a taper?

Whatever.  I have a website, published specifications, official warranty policy, legally registered business which is my main source of income for 10 years now with a full range of products.  I also have almost 20 years of experience with various types of live and studio sound production and recording, and a few years of concert promotion to boot.  So obviously I am not reliable and have no understanding of the needs of hobbyist concert recordists.

One thing I am not is an "audiophile".  To me, an "audiophile" is a person with a thin understanding of physics and a propensity to spend too much time subjectively justifying purchases on which they have spent too much money.  My goal as a designer is to make sound production less expensive, not more.  This is why I have a product now that is less than half the cost of a tinybox.

Not trying to get into a flame war here but this new product, is it a replacement for the Tinybox?  If so, why are all the requests for the Tinybox rather than the new product.  Comparing yourself to Bernard Vollmer is also not valid imho.  Schoeps does not make a product specific for tapers, tapers just happen to have picked up on their product and use it.

I just stated my preference of preferring the way Nick conducts his business to what I am observing on this site.  Nothing in this thread would change my opinion and as said, I am expressing my opinion to the question posed.  Many people have had good experiences dealing with you and that is imperative if this is your only source of income.  I do know when I was having an issue with my gear (turned out to be a bad cable) I texted Nick while at the show and we walked through troubleshooting how to fix it.  Again, just my personal experience.

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2016, 12:08:41 PM »
Not trying to get into a flame war here

Then explain your first post.

but this new product, is it a replacement for the Tinybox?

Yes, in terms of support for actives (it doesn't do P48 as that is no longer desired by the market).

If so, why are all the requests for the Tinybox rather than the new product.

All the requests?  How would you know that, did you hack into my email?  Sales thus far are comparable per period.  Anyway, I had already saturated the taper market with product.  The best estimate I've seen of taper market size here is about 1,500 and shrinking.  I've sold over 400 amplifiers so far, so I moved on to other products.  This is important given that I need to eat.

Comparing yourself to Bernard Vollmer is also not valid imho.

Why?  We both are involved in manufacturing audio equipment, and we (as far as I know) don't record concerts for a hobby.  Therefore, Vollmer and I are more similar than you and Vollmer.

Schoeps does not make a product specific for tapers, tapers just happen to have picked up on their product and use it.

So by your own standard, how do you know you can trust them if they aren't members of your community?  Has any Schoeps employee ever even been to a Dead concert?  Maybe, but why is this relevant?  Do you expect Schoeps to respond to texts?

Let's get back to the point.  Someone asked about the Tinybox (discontinued) vs NBox.  I expressed my opinion.  You discontinued the Tinybox because you have to eat so stop complaining and go sell your new product where people want it.  Nick has upgraded his product but still supports his old ones and his new one is an upgraded version of his old one. 

Obviously my preference is to work with Nick.  Not sure you are gaining customers this way and not sure what having a Schoeps employee attending a Dead show has anything to do with the price of tea in China.  I am not going to tell you how to run your business but discontinuing a product that customers are asking for because you have a new product that customers (on this site) do not seem to be discussing as an alternative doesn't seem to work out very well.  Ask Coca Cola about that one.

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2016, 12:32:28 PM »
Let's get back to the point.  Someone asked about the Tinybox (discontinued) vs NBox.  I expressed my opinion.  You discontinued the Tinybox because you have to eat so stop complaining and go sell your new product where people want it.

Sorry, but no, this is a public forum in which I intend to participate.  So, when you express your opinion you are also going to have to hear mine.

Anyway, I am not complaining, I am correcting errors in your line of reasoning.

No, you are just expressing your opinion.  As I am.  Obviously we disagree, so lets agree to disagree.  I will give Nick's product and service a 5 start Yelp review and will leave it at that.

Offline Chomps

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2016, 01:11:19 PM »
well didn't this thread turn into yet another cuntfest.
Microtech Gefell m950
AKG 414 XLII
Telefunken M60/M61/M62
AT853

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2016, 01:25:49 PM »
well didn't this thread turn into yet another cuntfest.

Sure did.  Proves my point why I would choose to do business with Nick 100% of the time and in fact would highly recommend others to do the same.  I know Nick and he has done me right every time.  It does not need to be in a public forum.  I do not know Jon Stoppable and have no desire to give him any of my hard earned money.  That's not opinion, that is fact. 

I just looked at Jon's website http://naiant.com/ and all I see are mics, cables, adapter and attenuators which I have no need for not does anyone with Schoeps or AKG's looking for a preamp / power supply.  So .....    I don't see where the comparison is valid.  Nick is producing gear for tapers by tapers and Jon is running his audio accessories business becuase he has saturated the market.   ???

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2016, 01:26:21 PM »
They both suck - buy a used VMS... just kidding  ;D
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline Chomps

« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2016, 01:32:38 PM »
They both suck - buy a used VMS... just kidding  ;D

I thought you quit TS.com? ;D
Microtech Gefell m950
AKG 414 XLII
Telefunken M60/M61/M62
AT853

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2016, 02:01:04 PM »
I guess I fell off the wagon - need a small escape every once in a while!
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • 😈
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2016, 02:33:33 PM »
This nbox vs. tiny box thing has gotten really out of hand. Both great options. Why start flinging poo? The original poster asked about a comparison. Not for shitty comments.
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2016, 02:43:47 PM »
^^^^^^
From the OP:
P.S. This is in NO WAY an attempt to piss anyone off (since the people making these great products both will read this) - this is just me trying to figure out what people think of both of these products. Kind of like consumer TV-show, you know?
I don't have either device and as such stayed out of this thread until now. to repeat: does anyone other than perks, have experience with both (and AKG's), and can you provide audio samples for so jontebus can decide?
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com