Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: How to connect DPA 4060s to Sound Professional battery module or preamp?  (Read 15272 times)

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: How to connect DPA 4060s to Sound Professional battery module or preamp?
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2016, 09:41:00 AM »
Aaron just answered while I was typing, basically saying the same thing..

Yes, that will work (although DPA DAD3050 "Microdot to a Mini-Jack" will be the prefered adapters), assuming you order the SoundPros battery box with two mono mini-jack inputs instead of a single stereo minijack input.

That setup does have the advantage of using all "off the shelf" components without the need for any cable modification. 

Yet there are some downsides.  First, this is a more costly way of achieving the goal. The DPA adapters are not inexpensive.  Making, or having someone make for you a 2 X female microdot to stereo mini-jack adapter cable as mentioned at the start of the thread will not only be less costly, it will also be somewhat more compact / less bulky, and more universal, allowing you to use in place of the dual mono input SoundPros box, any battery box, low voltage preamp, or recorder (with sufficient PIP power) which has a stereo mini jack input.  And devices with that input are considerably more common than those with dual mono mini-jack inputs.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline RobS

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2016, 10:41:08 AM »
Thanks. I was wondering about the DAD3050 adapter.

It's just easier to get hold of the DPA adapters.

I don't live in the US. I'm in Singapore, so I don't know how I could get the cable to darktrain.

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2016, 11:02:55 AM »
^ You can probably have the cable shipped directly from CD Int'l to darktrain, have him do the work, and then send it to you in Singapore.  As the finished cable will fit into a small, padded envelope, it will probably escape the notice of customs, too (if it is even of high enough value to warrant an import tax)...

Offline RobS

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2016, 11:26:38 AM »
Usually shipping and billing addresses have to be same, but I suppose I could check with CDINT.

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2016, 11:58:59 AM »
^ Funny you should say that!  I have been meaning to get one of these Y-cables for ages, and this thread spurred me to look into it further.  Since I live in the Netherlands, I would also have to deal with the international aspect, so I have already mailed CD Int'l:

Quote from: CD Int'l
We can certainly do that, and it is something we do for our customers
quite often.  You can order online, and specify the shipping address
yourself, and the shipping cost will be calculated accordingly.

But, please let us know if you would prefer to order via email, and I
will send you the Paypay payment request for secure payment
afterwards.

I am going to send a PM to darktrain and ask him about if from his end.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 12:05:54 PM by aaronji »

Offline RobS

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2016, 12:21:14 PM »
Yes, I just called CDINT. Shipping address can be different from the billing address.

Offline RobS

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2016, 01:18:49 PM »
Anyone know if darktrain still provides the cable cutting service? I sent a PM but haven't received a reply.

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2016, 02:09:07 PM »
He did mine about 2-3 months ago. I'm pretty sure he'll get back to you either way.
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant »  aercomp2 ■ v2-3 ■ sx-m2d2
dpa 4061 » mma-a.6000
d100 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline RobS

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2016, 11:44:19 AM »
So, I just decided to have the CDINT Microdot 2-foot cable shipped directly to Sound Professionals, who will cut the cable in half and add the mini jack connectors for $30. Then they'll ship the 2 x mono input SP-SPSB-8-MKII battery module and Microdot cables to me.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 12:51:59 PM by RobS »

ilduclo

« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2016, 01:26:58 PM »
Soundpros is a good company to deal with :bigsmile:

Offline benwah

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2017, 04:28:22 PM »
Would the cdint+darktrain cable work well to connect 2x dpa 4060 into a tascam dr-100 mk3 directly?
While providing correct powering?

(2 X female microdot to stereo mini-jack adapter)

I can't believe how expensive the microdot to xlr adapters are, and it would be great to have the reduced bulk of this alternative cable.

I am an ignorant newb so if this question is missing something obvious please don't laugh too hard
R-05.
Want to buy:  DPA 4060 stereo kit  & Church Bat 2B battery box

Online Gutbucket

« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2017, 04:44:59 PM »
That will make the correct connection to the DR100mk3's minijack input, but the recorder will not provide sufficient voltage to properly power the microphones.  You'll either need to use a battery box plus a stereo-mini to stereo-mini patch cable between battery box and the DR100, or use phantom power adapters into the DR100's XLR inputs.  I'm happy using Naiant PFA phantom power adapters.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline benwah

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2017, 12:36:46 PM »
I called DPA and they said to use DAD6001 adapters, which I was trying to avoid for high cost reasons ($230 for pair).

I contacted Naiant about PFA, and they also said I should just go with DAD6001, smaller and cost diff not so great.

If I get a DPA 4060 pair kit, the kit comes with 2 dad6001 included so I guess I'll go that route.
Thank you for help, might PM for further advice later.
R-05.
Want to buy:  DPA 4060 stereo kit  & Church Bat 2B battery box

Online Gutbucket

« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2017, 03:30:54 PM »
Maybe the cost of the Naiant PFAs went up, they used to cost significantly less than a pair of DAD6001.  The aren't larger, mine are almost exactly the same size, but in actual use they are significantly more compact.  I'll explain-

The DAD6001 has the advantage of having a female microdot connector input, so a stock, standard male microdot-terminated 4060 will attach to it directly.  But that's also a disadvantage, in that the microdot connector is at the end of the adapter opposite the XLR output, and when plugged directly into the input of the recorder the adapter leaves the rather delicate microdot connection and mic cable sticking out vulnerably.  The microdot connection and mic cable strain-relief require around an additional 2" of well-protected clearance.  That problem can be remedied by using a short 1' long XLR-RA patch cable between the recorder input and adapter, so the adapter is no longer rigidly mounted to the recorder.

The Naiant PFA has it's input on a short cable.  For stereo use, typically a pair of PFAs are wired to a single stereo input connector (usually mini-jack or mini-XLR). I've made a slight cut in the rubber strain reliefs of each of my PFAs which serves to form a protected side cable entry.  The cable turns 90 degrees before it exits the strain relief and nests into the cut.  When the PFA is plugged directly into the recorder, the end of the rubber strain relief then acts as a rubber bumper against the inside of the recording bag, rather than the thin mic cable and delicate microdot connection getting crushed.  The disadvantage is that the non-microdot input connection either requires re-termination of the mic cables, or requires female-microdot>mini-jack or mini-XLR adapters. 

One additional detail to note.  Jon can build the PFA to be either signal polarity inverting or non-inverting.  His standard for low voltage mics is inverting, which corrects the typically inverted polarity output of most small electret microphones.  The DPA miniature microphones produce a non-inverted output signal, so if you go the PFA route, ask for them to be non-inverting.  The DAD6001 is non-inverting as it was designed to work with DPA mics.  The signal polarity issue is probably only an issue if you are mixing multi-channel sources.  You can always invert polarity of the track in your editor of course, but this avoids the need to do that, and allows for internal mixing in multichannel recorders which do not provide signal polarity switching.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 03:46:03 PM by Gutbucket »

Offline CTjazzfanatic

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2017, 11:18:41 AM »
Quick question for anyone using the Y cable into a sound professional battery box and a PCM-M10, do you suggest going mic in, or line in to the recorder?
Mics: Schoeps CCM 4; DPA 4060; SP-CMC-25
Power: Naiant Tinybox; SP battery box
Recorder: Sony PCM-M10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com