Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Portable Preamp Repair and/or Replacement Parts Sourcing  (Read 4293 times)

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
Portable Preamp Repair and/or Replacement Parts Sourcing
« on: September 28, 2016, 01:58:27 PM »
Many, if not most, of the preamps people look for in the yard sale aren't available as new stock anymore.  One example of this I've been noticing is that, for whatever reason, it's become popular to point out that schoeps preamps for sale in the YS are no longer serviced by the OEM.  The thing is, the same is true for many of the more desirable and popular preamps, but this isn't pointed out in those 'for sale' threads.  Whether it's appropriate out not to make that comment on someone's FS thread, I'm thinking it would be nice to move those discussions out of the specific FS listings...which may necessarily or unnecessarily de-value gear in favor of a separate discussion or thread. 

With that in mind, I'd like to read a discussion on parts sourcing and/or repair of some of the more popular preamps we use here.  What are your experiences...what was wrong...where'd you send it...how much did you pay to fix?  Etc.

markrsmith

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Portable Preamp Repair and/or Replacement Parts Sourcing
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 07:43:17 PM »
One reason I have stayed with Grace Designs, local and still serviceable.

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 10:07:35 PM »
Hey there!  I've heard Schoeps Preamps are no longer serviced by the OEM.  Just thought you should know...

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline StuStu

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2016, 11:54:58 AM »
Vark Audio will repair pres that manufacturers won't. They repair EAA/AETA, Schoeps, etc. They're very good and I highly recommend them. I found that their parts are affordable. The labor isn't cheap, but well worth it IMO. As for parts, I suppose that depends on what exactly the part it is. Don't really know there.
MK5, MK8, MK41, KM184D, CK77, B3 ---CMD 2U XT, KC5, KCY, AKI---KCY Tinybox, Ugly BB---AETA 4MinX, PMD661 MKII, R-26, M-10, MR-1

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2016, 08:54:50 PM »
Schoeps will not repair VMS02ib, VMS52ub, VMS42ub, or VMS32ub pre-amps anymore - they still service the newer VMS 5 u

Schoeps mainly swapped boards on these older pre-amps and have run out of replacement boards - the components on the boards should be mostly repairable though so this doesn't mean that a damaged unit is dead just not repairable by Schoeps

Sonosax won't repair older SX-M1 and M2 units (specifically the Phantom power circuit) - apparently they used a Neumann manufactured board to provide phantom power and have run out of replacements.  The Neumann replacement version of this board has been reported to work well as a replacement for units with failed phantom power - note Sonosax does not perform this repair.

As mentoned above Aeta doesn't repair EAA PSP-2s anymore as well

Side notes:

- Schoeps can not repair vintage capsules as well as the have in the past due to lack of parts - including m221a/m221b/m221f/cmt 30 f/ cmmt 30 f series capsules - These capusles may be able to be repaired by vendors such as Peulso in the US  but no garantees
 - Schoeps has no AC701 tubes available
 - Schoeps is very reserved about service on older FET mic repairs such as CMT series and CMMT series body repairs - the electronics are easily repairable but sleaves, connectors (XLR, Tuchel, Sogie, etc) , power xformers, and other custom parts are no longer available

Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2016, 08:49:32 PM »
I have sent a number of Sound Devices preamps to the manufacturer for checkout and/or repair, including the Shure-branded versions. They have always dealt with them very efficiently and effectively, regardless of whether the preamps were still in current production or not.
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline kingkita

• Trade Count: (50)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2016, 12:11:56 AM »
Vark Audio will repair pres that manufacturers won't. They repair EAA/AETA, Schoeps, etc. They're very good and I highly recommend them. I found that their parts are affordable. The labor isn't cheap, but well worth it IMO. As for parts, I suppose that depends on what exactly the part it is. Don't really know there.

I second this I sent my psp2 in for a tune up.  I got from stu  :headphones: and it came back Brand new 100% working and I sent my psp3. In for a check up.was around 300 for both I think maybe less. But I talked to them via phone and they said we work on stuff nobody else can. Great communication too!

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Jarts don't kill people!
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2016, 01:38:11 PM »
Vark has my PSP-2 as I type.  They are fixing the DC jack that got knocked loose and giving it a once over.

I called Trew Audio first and they wouldn't touch the PSP-2 but said they will work on Sonosax gear.  Maybe call and ask Trew?
Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.093 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com