Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder (Part 8)  (Read 95555 times)

Offline billydee

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder (Part 8)
« Reply #195 on: April 09, 2018, 10:15:31 AM »
Quick Question - Hoping for my first soundboard patch request later this week.

If I run XLR's from Soundboard into spots 3 and 4 on the TASCAM 70D Unit, Phantom Power On or Off ? (I'm guessing off, but just thought to check).  (Running CA-14 Cards in Stereo Spots 1 and 2 for a live mix)
Definitely phantom OFF for the soundboard feed.
Good luck!

Offline billydee

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #196 on: April 09, 2018, 10:18:42 AM »
I'm using a old sandisk 32GB class 2 (not on approved list). works great so far, not a single problem. latest firmware.
I appreciate that. My problem is the first card I ever used (not on the lists) had an issue, and I finally found a good one eventually but now need another for a second recorder.
So after all my angst and worry, I found what appears to be a legit 16gb card at my local Walmart. It's the SDSDUP-016G-A46 card and it was less than $10.
I tested it all weekend and looks good so far.

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • LMA
« Reply #197 on: April 09, 2018, 10:24:47 AM »

If I run XLR's from Soundboard into spots 3 and 4 on the TASCAM 70D Unit, Phantom Power On or Off ? (I'm guessing off, but just thought to check).  (Running CA-14 Cards in Stereo Spots 1 and 2 for a live mix)

OFF.  Applying phantom power to line level output devices could fry them.   :facepalm:
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Tascam DR-70D / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline dogmusic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #198 on: April 09, 2018, 10:26:58 AM »

Off.
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline Papaphunk

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #199 on: April 09, 2018, 10:29:28 AM »

OFF.  Applying phantom power to line level output devices could fry them.   :facepalm:

I was 98.34% sure that was the situation, thanks.
AKG CK-61 / CK-62 / CK-63  > AKG c480b / c460b Bodies
ZOOM H6 - TASCAM DR-100MKII & III

1500+ Recordings Uploaded to Archive: https://archive.org/details/@papaphunk

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #200 on: April 09, 2018, 10:48:58 AM »

I was 98.34% sure that was the situation, thanks.

Double check this before you plug in!! You do not want to be the guy who asks for a board patch then burns up the console before the show starts. Most boards nowadays have blocking capacitors to stop any power from flowing back into the outputs but still better to be safe and sure.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline ButchAlmberg

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #201 on: July 24, 2018, 04:06:20 PM »
I've been searching these threads for an hour now so I apologize, but does anyone have a link/suggestion for a 90 degree (at the deck) power cable for the DR-70D? The ones I'm coming across are cheap mass produced pieces of crap and I'd like to buy something that is of better quality.
Line Audio CM-3, CM-4, Lewitt
Sound Devices MixPre-6 II |  Tascam DR-70D

Team Line Audio

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #202 on: July 24, 2018, 04:21:33 PM »
I've been searching these threads for an hour now so I apologize, but does anyone have a link/suggestion for a 90 degree (at the deck) power cable for the DR-70D? The ones I'm coming across are cheap mass produced pieces of crap and I'd like to buy something that is of better quality.
Your best bet might be getting a custom cable made by one of the resident cable-makers.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #203 on: July 24, 2018, 06:15:47 PM »
I've got one I could send for shipping cost, but it is a cheap mass produced one!

Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline IronFilm

• Taperssection Regular
  • Sound Recordist for Film/TV in New Zealand
    • IronFilm
« Reply #204 on: July 25, 2018, 12:38:48 AM »
I'm using a old sandisk 32GB class 2 (not on approved list). works great so far, not a single problem. latest firmware.

Class 2? Wow, that is OLD

Personally I wouldn't want to risk a card like that....

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #205 on: July 25, 2018, 08:43:07 AM »
I roll with cheapies. Bought 5 for like $5. One was bad, snipped it in half to be sure I didn't use it.

Keep a spare in the bag.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline malow

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Tascam DR-70D W/mods
« Reply #206 on: July 26, 2018, 01:29:39 AM »
Class 2? Wow, that is OLD

Personally I wouldn't want to risk a card like that....

well, is a card with very low use, and not too old. (i got as backup when i had 32gb class 10 cards, but they where a bit high priced - again, im in brazil, even SD cards are expensive...)

every few months i test all my cards, using test software, to make sure they do not have any bad sector/error.

but again, any card can die any moment...  and my DR-70D have a backup recorder on it, so, im safe  :coolguy:

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #207 on: July 26, 2018, 08:48:20 PM »
I think you're playing with fire using untested, cheap cards from unknown sources.  There are tons of counterfeits out there.  Buy major name brands from authorized resellers.

Whenever possible, use media tested and approved by the manufacturer of your audio recorder.  Not just with this one, but any recorder.  Given the history of the DR-70D being "picky" with SD cards in previous firmware, that really should be everyone's default position.

Bear in mind that audio recording uses an SD card very differently than video or photo recording, but those last two are where all the class / speed ratings come from.  SD card manufacturers generally don't test for audio-exclusive applications.  Cameras write data to SD cards in bursts.  In contrast, audio recorders are more or less writing continuously, and their memory buffer is not always up to snuff to handle a card that can't handle continuous random writes (again, something the card manufacturers don't test for) and so you get dropouts.  This is why sometimes cards that have very high speed ratings test might perform poorly in audio recorders. 

A representative from Tascam who used to frequent this board made this point quite clearly, and was unfortunately attacked for trying to educate people.

Here's some evidence and further explanation to back this up from someone who makes an embedded audio device, and wrote their own utility to test cards for audio performance.  Notice that some of the lower "class" cards worked whereas some of the higher ones did not.
https://robertsonics.com/microsd-cards-for-audio/
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline malow

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Tascam DR-70D W/mods
« Reply #208 on: July 26, 2018, 09:17:43 PM »
well, it is a "cheap" card, but it is a sandisk card, from a reputable seller. (we don't have authorized resellers here i believe)

and of course, i tested extensively before any "real world" usage.

luckly, the dr-70d does appear to have a decent buffer, so it writes for about 1/4 of a second every second (using 4 channels 24bit/48khz) on my "slow" card

so, audio is very low-demanding on the card speeds. and for what i see, the incompatibilities where never about speed, but bad design/firmware on the 70D, that also i believe was somehow "fixed" on later firmware updates (i got the recorder after the initial problems on older firmwares). maybe if i record in 96/24, a faster card would be wise.

i tested it with all brands/models of cards i have, and all of them worked perfectly. even a few micro-sd on adapter.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 09:23:31 PM by malow »

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #209 on: July 26, 2018, 10:12:18 PM »

If you have the current firmware, you MIGHT be alright. Tascam never admitted that there was a problem in the old firmware, so they never claimed that they fixed anything.
I don't recall hearing many folks report the "classic problem" since the most recent firmware release, however.

from http://www.tascam.com/product/dr-70d/downloads/
Firmware V1.14 - 908.98 KB
dr-70d_b70.zip

well, it is a "cheap" card, but it is a sandisk card, from a reputable seller. (we don't have authorized resellers here i believe)

and of course, i tested extensively before any "real world" usage.

luckly, the dr-70d does appear to have a decent buffer, so it writes for about 1/4 of a second every second (using 4 channels 24bit/48khz) on my "slow" card

so, audio is very low-demanding on the card speeds. and for what i see, the incompatibilities where never about speed, but bad design/firmware on the 70D, that also i believe was somehow "fixed" on later firmware updates (i got the recorder after the initial problems on older firmwares). maybe if i record in 96/24, a faster card would be wise.

i tested it with all brands/models of cards i have, and all of them worked perfectly. even a few micro-sd on adapter.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.093 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com