Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Help in Deciding Small Mic for Live High db Recordings  (Read 2451 times)

Offline BassHead

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Help in Deciding Small Mic for Live High db Recordings
« on: March 03, 2017, 05:01:50 PM »
Hello everyone, I'm new to all this recording equipment spec info. Like the title says im looking for a mic that is small and preferably plugs into my phone, that I can also record high db SPL with no distortion. Few Questions
1. What exactly does sound sensitivity mean? For example I'm looking at a mic that has open ended sensitivity of -54db, what does that mean? and how does it relate to total SPL?
2. I have a recording app on my phone that lets me control input gain +- 20db. What exactly does that entail?
3. Do any of you have any recommendations for a small high SPL recording device that isnt over $100?

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
Re: Help in Deciding Small Mic for Live High db Recordings
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017, 06:56:05 PM »
Hello everyone, I'm new to all this recording equipment spec info. Like the title says im looking for a mic that is small and preferably plugs into my phone, that I can also record high db SPL with no distortion. Few Questions
1. What exactly does sound sensitivity mean? For example I'm looking at a mic that has open ended sensitivity of -54db, what does that mean? and how does it relate to total SPL?
2. I have a recording app on my phone that lets me control input gain +- 20db. What exactly does that entail?
3. Do any of you have any recommendations for a small high SPL recording device that isnt over $100?

This guy is selling a TASCAM DR-60D for $90.00 - nice deal.

Otherwise the TASCAM DR-60D is one of the cheaper, more capable decks out there.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1084690-REG/tascam_dr_60mkii_portable_recorder_for_dslr.html

If you take your time - you can probably find a new one for less than $150.00

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 07:38:25 PM »
The Shure MV-100 is a mic that plugs directly into an iPhone and can handle high SPLs (have recorded multiple rock concerts with one).

"Sensitivity" and a mic's maximum SPL tolerance are not, I believe, related. The SPL figure is usually indicated as "maximum SPL." For something as loud as a rock concert you'll need over 120dB at minimum.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2017, 10:30:18 PM »
Those specifications don't contain the answer to your ultimate question ("will this microphone be OK in the situation that I have?").

Given the name, people might reasonably expect a microphone's "sensitivity" to specify the quietest sound level that the microphone can detect. But instead it specifies the voltage that the microphone puts out for a certain standard sound pressure level (1 Pascal = about 94 dB SPL), at a midrange frequency such as 1 kHz.

This is relevant because loud music or other loud program material, as picked up by sensitive professional condenser microphones, can easily overload consumer-oriented audio recorders. Given the sensitivity figure and some math, you could figure out the maximum voltage that you would expect your microphone to put out, when it's being driven by the loudest sound that you expect to record with it. Knowing that, you could then determine whether or not your microphone is likely to overload the input of a device such as a recorder, mixer or preamp that you might want to connect it to.

--best regards

« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 11:03:24 PM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline rhinowing

• SPLRA - Smashing Pumpkins Live Recording Association
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 06:50:41 PM »

I presume from the username that you're planning on taping some Bassnectar sets? You will almost definitely need a battery box between the mics and recorder to prevent the low end coming out a distorted mess. his bass SPLs are insane, woke up to what I thought was an Earthquake at Electric Forest 2015, but it was the Bassnectar soundcheck...
Please contact me if you've ever taped the Smashing Pumpkins or a related group!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.069 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com