Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Canare vs. Mogami Mic Cables  (Read 10165 times)

Offline nak700s

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Canare vs. Mogami Mic Cables
« on: June 30, 2017, 04:01:09 PM »
Canare vs. Mogami Mic Cables:  Does it really matter?

Let's face it, there are a lot of options out there, and some of them even offer a good clean signal that gives us a quiet, noise free recording.
At what level does it make a difference, and at what level does it stop making a difference?  Sure there's some crap out there that will be noisy, and other crap that may offer a clean signal, but are poorly made or made with junk that breaks down quickly as opposed to being durable for our needs.
What are your opinions between Canare and Mogami, which in my opinion both offer a quality product?

Discuss...
Normal: Nakamichi CM-700's >> SD 744T (or) Sony PCM-M10
Normal: Crown CM-700's >> SD 302 >> SD 744T
Fun times: 3 Crown CM-700's >> SD 302 >> SD744T + 2 Nakamichi CM-700's >> SD744T
Stealth: CA-14c >> CA 9200 >> Edirol R-09HR
Ultra stealth: AudioReality >> AudioReality battery box >> Edirol R-09HR
Simple & Sweet!

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Canare vs. Mogami Mic Cables
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 10:58:06 PM »
They're both great. Just be sure that whoever builds the ends knows how to make proper solder joints, and don't skimp on the connectors.

Also if you're using Star Quad cable, be sure to follow instructions, and terminate opposing pairs together like this diagram:

https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2017, 09:32:33 PM »
Any time I've ever tried to "listen" to cables, I've been able to convince myself that I heard differences, as long as I was looking at the cables when I changed them and listened to them. Which is to say, that expectation bias is, like, a thing.

In blind ABX testing, I could never do better than random guessing. Any kind of cable. And let's not get started on digital cables. USB cable either works or it doesn't. In general, I just don't believe that cables which meet specifications for any given application could possibly sound different from one another. I understand that there are passionate, smart people who swear they can hear a difference- but Occam's razor would suggest that "expectation bias" is the best explanation.

This is not to say that one should skimp on cables completely. Good solid connectors are less likely to fail, etc. 

But Canare vs. Mogami? Buy the one you think looks the coolest.

In the end, that's the one that will sound best to you.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 10:44:55 PM by noahbickart »
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline SacredMetal

• Taperssection Regular
    • Frank DiCristina Energy Healing and more
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2017, 10:07:56 PM »
In another life many years ago now, I installed extremely high end car stereos, and home theater. We have done many blind and not so blind tests over the years.

We found speaker cable making one the the biggest differences. Signal cable not so much useless it was over long lengths. Sure higher quality cables helped, but the shielding was more of a important factor we found.

When I switched careers to industrial/military computers cable capacitance was our biggest concern. That would impedance of cause issues due to the frequencies we were transmitting.

Bottom line is use good cables, don't get too crazy unless you are going extremely long lengths (over 100ft), then you should be good to go.

Zoom X/Y, Zoom M/S, Rode NT-1's, Rode NTK, Cascade Fathead
Zoom H6
Mogami Silver cables
5V USB 10,400mAh Backup battery
(it may not be the greatest but its a good start...)

Offline nak700s

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2017, 07:17:24 PM »
My new cables will be paid for when I get home tonight, and I should receive them the middle of next week.  I went with the Carnare Star Quad with Nuetrik Black Gold XLRs.  They will meet my needs just fine.  I found a good source, and once tested and I know I'm happy with them, I will post him in this thread in case anyone else needs custom lengths made for them at a fair price.  Cheers.
Normal: Nakamichi CM-700's >> SD 744T (or) Sony PCM-M10
Normal: Crown CM-700's >> SD 302 >> SD 744T
Fun times: 3 Crown CM-700's >> SD 302 >> SD744T + 2 Nakamichi CM-700's >> SD744T
Stealth: CA-14c >> CA 9200 >> Edirol R-09HR
Ultra stealth: AudioReality >> AudioReality battery box >> Edirol R-09HR
Simple & Sweet!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com